• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Exposure joystick equivalent from DX?
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

Overwhelmed with choice on there – which light is the best in terms of size and weight to a joystick? Exposure don’t put any sizes on their info? not sure what I should be looking for

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Joystick is about 24mm diameter, and very light. the DX one is notcieably heavier, so worth considering. I was prepared to grow some neck muscles and save £130 though!

I made a very capable helmet mount for my torch out of a 24mm pip clip. works a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330566331641

this is the one I bought – it absolutely kicks arse.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have this one it fits in a joystick helmet mount spot on & is lighter than the ebay one http://www.dinodirect.com/led-flashlight-warm-white-light-3mode-cree-xml-t6-860lm-currency-GBP.html

M6TTF
    Free Member

that looks quite good milkybar kid, cheers!

hoojum
    Free Member
    M6TTF
    Free Member

That also looks good – what sort of burn times do you get with those, and what have you paired them up with on the bars?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a similar – but different! – one to hoojum

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-v6-t60-xm-lt6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-black-1-x-18650-100173

I use it as a helmet light, with a DIY bracket built form Hope and Cateye mounts.

It’s really good! It’s as punchy as a Hope Vision1 but almost a quarter of the price. And compared to a joystick… quite why would anyone would drop £130 on a joystick when you can get something just as effective for less than £20 posted beggars belief.

M6TTF
    Free Member

What sort of run times do you get? Only other lights that appeal are ay ups – dead light and good burn time

vdubber67
    Free Member

quite why would anyone would drop £130 on a joystick when you can get something just as effective for less than £20 posted beggars belief.

Cos joysticks run for 10hrs on medium, which is quite useful for 24hr racing 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

oh yes, I forgot, of course… riding for 24 hours 😳

vdubber67
    Free Member

Having said that, I suppose I could buy 6 DX lights, and swap them every couple of laps, and it would still be cheaper than a joystick!? 😉

Del

TBH i’d expect joystick and the yezl/dx equivalent to be similar on burn times, as they use similar LEDs and similar batteries, though to be fair the exposure cells are probably of higher quality, but there’s only so much extra you can get out of the same size package – maybe 10% longe duration?. buy two batteries, and swap ’em if you need to, which you can’t on a joystick…
    i run a yezl ( as linked by milky ) on my lid in conjunction with a DIY triple xpg on the bar. great combination. i switch the torch on and off during night rides, as i don’t want to blind people when i’m taking to them, and haven’t had any trouble running out of light on a 2.5 – 3 hour night ride yet, using it on ‘high’.
    each to their own. there’s no denying exposure lights are very neat packages and their backup is second to none i understand.

julianwilson
    Free Member

vdubber67 – Member

Having said that, I suppose I could buy 6 DX lights, and swap them every couple of laps, and it would still be cheaper than a joystick!?

pretty much what I do for 24 hr races. Three torches to rotate plus numbered batteries so when you are fumbling around all confused at four AM you just go for the number up from the one you are remkoving from th light. Tail switches are a bit temperamental (like two gone dicky in three years of daily commuting use) but fixed them rather than needed to replace.

Mrs j’s joystick is better all round, but not for the money or not being able to swap over batteries.

GW
    Free Member

milkybarkid – how long did your torch take to arrive?

Northwind

If you could unscrew the back off a Joystick and quickly replace the battery, that’d make it a far better light. But I suppose would also make it more obvious that it’s just an incredibly expensive torch.

vdubber67 – Member

Cos joysticks run for 10hrs on medium, which is quite useful for 24hr racing

You can get equivalent torches that will do the same though. Though it’s much harder to get good info on the torches so Exposure do definately win then. My XML on low mode is brighter than a Mk5 joystick on medium and burns that way for at least 7 hours, haven’t tried any longer though, frexample.

bigjim

Just run your DX torch on medium if you want it to run the same time as a joystick on medium, its the same stuff inside.

I have

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyfire-a10b-cree-xm-lt6-3-mode-900-lumen-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-17670-1-x-18650-90607

and

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-p10-r5-cree-xr-g-r5-5-mode-350-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-18650-904442972

and my joystick is now redundant. The Fannyfire one wasn’t great out the box but once I tightened up everything inside it stopped turning between modes by itself and is very good. They both fit in joystick helmet holders too.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Got mine in 5 days & was only £11 when i got it 4 weeks ago,my mate got 3 & he got them in 2 weeks.

GW
    Free Member

Thanks!! 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Exposure joystick equivalent from DX?’ is closed to new replies.