Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Expensive whiskies
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

As i was already forking out a largish chunk of cash on MsD for her birthday weekend away i decided to treat myself.
    The hotel we were in had a bar stocking some 160 whiskies with lots of lovely Islay malts.
    Settled on an Ardbeg ‘Lord of the Isles’ and asked how much it was.

£12.50 a dram – OK, i’ll go for that. Turns out the bottle is £400 😯

It was absolutely gorgeous, really, really smooth etc.

Not something i’ll be buying a bottle of anytime soon though!

What’s your most expensive drink?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tried some £100/bottle wines when in Oz, worth it!!
    Did the same in a hotel took retrogradations from the bar man though didn’t want a duff one

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Apparently there are some whiskies in that hotel (Brook House Inn, Boot, Cumbria) that cost £30 per dram. That must be around £1000 per bottle!

MrGreedy

Laphroaig 30, think I paid about £20 for the dram. Worth every penny.

Ardbeg ‘Lord of the Isles’ you get a dram for free on the distillery tour, and it is very nice indeed
    in a pub on islay they had some 40 year old bruicladdich that was about £75 a shot i think

chakaping
    Free Member

This is a bit more pricey…

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Ardbeg-Double-Barrel-PID2505.aspx

I like Ardbeg as much as the next man, but you could buy a couple of bikes for that!

Cougar

I’ve had the Lord of the Isles. It’s a bit PEATY SMOKY ZOMG!! isn’t it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

£10’400.

Those silver cups must be bloomin’ heavy…

redthunder
    Free Member

Ledaig

and

Just polished off a bottle Glen Marnoch and that was nice 🙂 and over a game of pool on the new table 🙂

edhornby

i have a bottle of ardbeg ‘nearly there’ that i’m desperately trying not to nail in a few sittings… 🙂 so very nice….

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

I’ve got an unopened bottle of this in the house.
    http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Laphroaig-15-year-old-PID2943.aspx

DrRSwank
    Free Member

:sheepish:

I was on business in Germany many years ago. We got a bit ratted on the local dark beer and ended up in the hotel bar very late.

It seemed a good idea to order a brandy, and, being drunk, we ordered the “best they had”.

Baaaaad choice. It was £45 a measure – and we just necked it in one……

I remember having a very bad hangover the next day and needing to crimp the worlds worst fart in whilst meeting the global head of my department.

For whisky – my ex-wifes dad had some lovely stuff. He’d brought a share in a barrel and it was gorgeous. The distillary were suggesting a price of £150 a bottle.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I once bought a dram of very, very old Highland Park – it more or less cost me my entire nights drinking fund (given I used to take around £100 out for a nights drinking… erm…. yeah)! Wonderful it was though 😉

That said, a mate has just promised me a bottle of Port Ellen so I am getting rather excited about that one (I love that stuff, but can’t bring myself to shell out the necessary quantity of cash required to buy a bottle!). The only downside (if you can call it such) is that I am under instruction that it must be opened and drunk the same night I get it. All of it. This one is NOT for the collection!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The best I’ve had was a 40yo. A friend, who hates whisky, had it bought for his 40th and kindly brought it along on a winter climbing trip. I hate whisky aswell, but happily necked this one. It was significantly less horrid than any other single malt I’ve ever disliked. Can’t recall what it was tho, but very nice(ish).

Wine, I’ve had a Penfolds Grange 1998, those in the know will know that is something very special, particularly 1998, and it was. Also had an old Paul Jaboulet La Chapelle, don’t recall the year, but quite old and absolutely stunning.

speaker2animals

£8.50 for a Bruichladdich in a bar in Edinburgh. Very nice but can’t for the life of me remember what the expression was. I’ve paid up to £60 for a bottle when I was on £40k a year and have to say that even I get a little antsy thinking of paying more than about £75 for a bottle. Obviously the £8.50 works out more than that pro rata’d up (£255 for a bottle) but that’s why I was prepared to pay it for a single measure.

grim168
    Free Member

Got a bottle of this a few years ago http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bladnoch-1977-23-year-old-whisky/ Not opened it yet as I tend to get through it quite quickly now so stick to the cheaper malts. Just googled it and didn’t realise how much it was.

firestarter
    Free Member

Most expensive one in my cupboard is only laphroaig 10 cask strength but it may be replaced soon as in less than 2 weeks I’m goin to islay for a week to tour the big ones 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Think I spent £15 or £20 on a drop of 1973 Edradour when celebrating something in London a few years ago. Seemed like good value.

Same for £10 for a shot of Midleton. Mmmmmmm!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have a bottle of Midleton Very Rare can’t remember the year. I’ve had for about 12 years and there is still 1/3 of the bottle left as it only comes out on special occasions.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Wine, I’ve had a Penfolds Grange 1998, those in the know will know that is something very special, particularly 1998, and it was.

I bought 6 of these in 2003 and tried really really hard not to drink them… Ended up selling them last year for 90% profit. Wish I’d drunk one though!

In terms of scotch I was given a bottle of 30 year old single cask Glen Grant for my 30th. That was stunning.

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread is costing me money. It’s just reminded me that I promised myself a bottle of Midleton.

Might as well get one of those Ardbeg 1990s while I’m at it too.

🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Got some Lagavulin 25 year old at home.

Of all the fantastic single malts that me and friends tried when on Islay, this is by far the most amazing whiskey that I have ever tried.

Powerful, complex and smoother than any cognac.

miketually
    Free Member

Nicest I ever had wasn’t for sale.

My mam’s uncle did some building work for the accountant of a local distillery manager. On the manager’s first day at work, he’d casked the first spirit out of the still. It sat in the cask until the day he retired, when it was the last stuff to be bottled that day. The manager handed bottles to various friends and the accountant passed one on to my mam’s uncle.

We only get up there once a year, but I’ve had a dram of it with him each time. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Driller
    Free Member

My wife bought me a bottle of Port Ellen 30 Yr old and a 30 yr old bottle of Brora for Christmas. Both closed distilleries and very, very nice whiskies. We came out of the shop £500 lighter between the two bottles.

Open ’em, drink ’em with friends and enjoy them. It’s what whisky is for.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Expensive whiskies’ is closed to new replies.