Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

not a hopeful future leader. Categorical

he really did put that to bed, I think thats a shocker for everyone, brave move – tomorrows newspaper headlines already written.

allthepies
    Free Member

Well the thousands of Spanish citizens who cross the border daily to work in Gibraltar will be pretty pissed off with their politicians for a start 🙂

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thing is there are a lot of clever people arguing against each other on this subject and no one really knows who’s right.

Bit like the religion threads!

mrmo
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    Thing is there are a lot of clever people arguing against each other on this subject and no one really knows who’s right.

Bit like the religion threads!

what if you wear a suicide belt you get 72 virgins in the next life???

Rockape63
    Free Member

what if you wear a suicide belt you get 72 virgins in the next life???

Didn’t spot that in the last religion thread. Perhaps Saxon Rider can ask that on the next one?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nothing more than a mud slinging shouting match……& more’s the pity

TRue

thatscold
    Free Member

OUT – I don’t like foreigners

Kryton57

Thing is there are a lot of clever people arguing against each other on this subject and no one really knows who’s right

In my opinion you just nailed the whole issue with this referendum in one sentence.

br
    Free Member

So I was listen to R4 news today and they have a daily Q&A on the EU vote.

According to the chap on there the cost of the EU works out at about £280 per year per household (net of all rebates, income, profits etc).

So less than £1 per day – seems worth the punt to stay in.

molgrips
    Free Member

From the horse’s mouth.

So much for brexit.

ctk
    Free Member

Norways population is 5 million and Switzerlands is population 8 million. I think the UK could get a better deal.

Why don’t Norway and Switzerland just join?

chewkw
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

From the horse’s mouth.

So much for brexit.

Ya, what can they do as they are not significance …

However, even with her tiny population Norway sure have bigger balls than the entire EU lot cowering together. They even dare to stand out from the EU crowds … Well done Norway.

If you wish to compare then you should compare BritLand with those bigger balls like France and Germany.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips nothing is stopping Norway from joining, except they don’t chose to. Norway is an interesting case as the people voted against joining but the government was pro so signed up to pretty much everything anyway. I imagine Norway doesn’t join as if they where subject to the same budget calculation as everyone else they would have to make a much bigger contribution.

@mrleb I don’t say there is an OECD/IMF conspriacy, I say they have vested interests in UK remaining.

Also Junky they are highly political organisations staffed and run by politicians, I have dealt first hand with the IMF quite a lot as I said before. Its such a chuckle that you can post on Capitalism being such a failure yet pro on such a bastion of the establishment that is the EU.

On the progammes I watched both and imo Gove came through much better. I think its fair to say Islam and certainly the audience gave Cameron a tougher time so perhaps its not surprising he came over worse. As the Sky commentators said afterwards if this starts to become a referendum on personalities or individuals its Cameron who will lose out.

Goldman and JPM should not have made campaign contributions as corporations, it should have been done via individuals – I would say like in the old days / in the US. I recall being stunned to be asked to contribute personally to a US Presidential Campaign when working in the US

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I don’t say there is an OECD/IMF conspriacy, I say they have vested interests in UK remaining.

Splitting hairs much?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have dealt first hand with the IMF quite a lot as I said before.

I knew if i mentioned appeal to authority you would do one just for me…thanks
    They speak very highly of you …they told me when me and the Mps had a dinner and your name came up.

Its such a chuckle that you can post on Capitalism being such a failure yet pro on such a bastion of the establishment that is the EU.

well I was tempted to vote for the communist option espoused by you Gove, Boris,IDS and Farage- you rampant lefty haters of capitalism /protectors of the working classes against big business 🙄
    My only choices are between one lot of capitalists or another so I will vote for the non racists ones

You did not even manage to get my critique of capitalism correct
    😆
    there is literally no fact you can grasp

jambalaya
    Free Member

Splitting hairs much?

No ! A conspiracy implies they are acting together. They have each independently come to the conclusion that it is in their interests for the UK to remain in the EU. The UK makes the EU much stronger than it would be without us. That’s good for both of those organisation’s objectives. Ditto the G7. It is not a factor whether its better for us, its about them and their objectives.

I think this is increasingly coming down to the fact that no one can make a passionate positive case for Remain as no one really believes in Europe or can deny how deeply flawed the EU is.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Junky the EU is the racist one, Europeans (ie predominantly white) only.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 are you sure JHJ has not stolen your log in.

1. when we leave the EU we will have free movement of British folk within our borders

2. you support racism as British folk are predominately white

Junkyard
    Free Member

DrJ

If you work for a multinational do you really want to risk your job?

Well Gove promised that nobody would lose their job due to Brexit. He also promised to save the British Steel industry. Phew. Looks like I was worried over nothing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Jambas two further questions – I know they won’t be answered but will post anyway

1. You seemed happy with these insitutions advice re Scotland. Has the personnel changed?
    2. Your lot have discredited the Goverment itself (I know funny that), the BoE, the Treasury, The Cabinet Office. If and when you get the control you crave (and apparently don’t have) WhoTF is going to exercise it since the current lot a not up to the job?

Sorry – a third point made in disbelief.

The EU and by association Merkel is racist. OK, why did they open up the door wide open to those funny foreigners whoile we peeped though our narrow letterbox shouting “no hawkers, no circulars!”?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Given all his promises he should run for PM, he would be a shoe in. Oh, wait a minute…..

DrJ

I hope that when this is over and the dust has settled then whoever is in charge of the tory party will hold an independent inquiry into the endemic racism in the party that has led half their number to be a cigarette paper away from Nigel Farage .

DrJ

while we peeped though our narrow letterbox shouting “no hawkers, no circulars!”?

That’s not quite fair. We did send them a postal order.

chewkw
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    1. You seemed happy with these insitutions advice re Scotland.

Imagine Scotland is in the EU as independent nation, the question I want answer to is whether Scotland will be contributing or consuming?

2. Your lot have discredited the Goverment itself …

I do not see any wrong with discrediting own govt do you? Especially by own citizen coz that’s the people rights. People from other nations should keep out coz they have no say in selecting the govt. Besides, in a democracy the govt is there to serve the people not the elites unless of course you are my hero Henry VIII …

The EU and by association Merkel is racist.

That women is simply stooopid trouble maker hyped up by their culture of leader worshiping …

kimbers
    kimbers
    chewkw
    Free Member

Crikey, … the search for perfection begins …

jambalaya
    Free Member

hope that when this is over and the dust has settled then whoever is in charge of the tory party will hold an independent inquiry into the endemic racism in the party that has led half their number to be a cigarette paper away from Nigel Farage .

We shoukd cut all ties with Australia, Canada and the USA first, what with their racist immigration policies, everyone knows freedom of movement is the only true and just system. Oh yes and Austria, certainky the 49.7% who voted for Hofer. Oh yes and Hungary and Poland and Slovakia (now EU President no less – “not a single Muslim” immigrant they say)

jambalaya
    Free Member

TMH, I don’t recall the IMF or the OECD making any comment on Scotland nor indeed the BoE. Both the Tories and Laboir made i clear there would be no deal of Sterling. The Government and the civil service is doing what Cameron tells them,mdifferemt leader differemt stance. More than 50% of Tory MPs are campaigning Leave, I would have thought the real issue is the PM’s position is not reflective of the Government.

I think waht the Scottish and EU issues have shown us is we need more referendums, slecific questions on specific issues so we can decide.

@kimbers I clicked on that link and on the section aboit more control of taxes and banks – their responce was garbage. couldn’t be bothered with anything else after that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@br on the cist of EU membershio net of money we get back is about 10% of our total VAT collections, so withoit the EU VAT would be 18%, or its the equivalent of 3p on Income Tax (I posted the figure before I think that was right 3p)

Kryton57

Sky news have an interactive quiz to determine your stance. Mine came out as this, and fwiw it’s spot on:

Utilitarians tend to have a strong sense of attachment to their country and their community. Europe is still important to Utilitarians, but their first allegiance is almost always to the United Kingdom.

Utilitarians tend to be satisfied with the role and function of the European Union as long as it appears to benefit the UK. Most Utilitarians broadly think the EU has improved the UK’s national security and has by and large benefitted the British economy.

Utilitarians are often wary of EU regulations on British industry and what they see as Brussels interfering in UK affairs. They generally oppose the further expansion of the EU except where there might be an economic benefit.

Utilitarians are generally open to greater cultural diversity in the UK and support moderate levels of migration from within the EU. They expect that immigrants will abide by the laws and customs of the UK and think that the UK should only admit as many immigrants as the economy can reasonably support.

While Utilitarians tend to be sceptical about the EU overall, they prefer stability to the perceived risks of Brexit, so the majority will vote to remain in the EU.

DrJ

We shoukd cut all ties with Australia, Canada and the USA first, what with their racist immigration policies, everyone knows freedom of movement is the only true and just system. Oh yes and Austria, certainky the 49.7% who voted for Hofer. Oh yes and Hungary and Poland and Slovakia (now EU President no less – “not a single Muslim” immigrant they say)

The point is, in which country is immigration the main plank of an election platform? Not even Trump with his “wall” campaigns exclusively on that topic. The tory leave campaign has positioned itself to the right of Slovakia, of Bulgaria, of Austria by choosing immigration as the only issue to be considered in a choice that we will be stuck with forever. The Austrian presidency means little and the choice could have been undone. Membership of the EU means a lot and exit is for good. The Brexiters make no argument except to blame foreigners for our problems – that is pure racism.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MH, I don’t recall the IMF or the OECD making any comment on Scotland nor indeed the BoE

The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, has said a currency union between an independent Scotland and the remainder of the United Kingdom would be incompatible with sovereignty, dealing a blow to Scottish nationalists before next week’s referendum on independence.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/09/currency-union-independent-scotland-unworkable-bank-governor

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/12/scottish-referendum-yes-vote-market-turmoil-imf

PLEASE GOOGLE ANYTHING YOU ARE THINKING OF SAYING

The fact you cannot recall something is only proof of your ongoing inability to interact with facts.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TMH, I don’t recall the IMF or the OECD making any comment on Scotland nor indeed the BoE.

Well your memory fails you then.

The Government and the civil service is doing what Cameron tells them,mdifferemt leader differemt stance. More than 50% of Tory MPs are campaigning Leave, I would have thought the real issue is the PM’s position is not reflective of the Government.

It’s a free vote. Not sure what the point is here. But it’s true, once again the Tories are making arses of themselves over Europe. Its their Achilles Heel and we/I predicted this. It’s a pathetic spectacle all the same. Both major political parties are a shambles at the moment and the third is off the radar.

I think waht the Scottish and EU issues have shown us is we need more referendums, slecific questions on specific issues so we can decide.

On the contrary. What both have shown is that politicians are contemptful of the truth and the people they serve. The gross distortion of the truth (post truth politics) has been blatant and appalling to watch especially given the seriousness of the issues in question.

Representative government while not perfect, is better than this charade of democracy

Specific questions!?!? My simple ones remain unanswered. Why because the answers are uncomfortable. Hence BREXIT still relies on peddling lies as we seen in the website still is morning and the fact that Gove was categorical in re-affirming the OUTers central flawed statistic.

The only good thing that can be rolled out is the fact that more people become engaged in debate. That you guys have made it a flawed one is shameful. Truly shameful. And every person on whatever side who hands out a leaflet with BS or spouts the crap that Gove was spouting last night (and no doubt Bojo and IDS today) shoiuld take collective responsibility.

This is an unnecessary referendum with a pointless question – since we do not know what the EU is going to be like in 2-5 years time – and one that distracts for dealing with real issues. Linking problems in a crass and simplistic manner to the EU bogeyman doesn’t make them go away it merely kicks the cans down the road – a solution not unique to Europe!!

br
    Free Member

@br on the cist of EU membershio net of money we get back is about 10% of our total VAT collections, so withoit the EU VAT would be 18%, or its the equivalent of 3p on Income Tax (I posted the figure before I think that was right 3p)

Hmm, but I don’t get paid in percentages so is that less than £280 per year per household or more?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Furthermore, it’s less than 1% of GDP – and yet this is the central pillar of the BS argument. Forget seeing woods or trees, this is a focus on twigs. Meanwhile…..

oldnpastit

If we leave it will be very awkward for the company I work for. We have two guys from Eastern Europe, both of whom are very good (software). Plus a Norwegian.

It would be great to be able to hire UK people, but it’s simply not possible – there aren’t enough good software engineers in the UK, for whatever reason (there are plenty of duffers though).

I’ve been through the process of hiring people from outside the EU and it’s a total PITA (not to mention all the extra costs involved). If that spreads to people in the EU (which seems to be the intention) then it will make life harder for me.

Plus I really don’t fancy have to get my passport stamped every time I go cycling in Spain.

oldnpastit

And what is this junk on the BBC website: “EU referendum: Brexit ‘could boost NHS by £100m a week'”

NHS budget is about £100Bn per annum, so that works out at about 5%, i.e. not worth even getting out of bed for.

And it won’t go on the NHS, it will go on tax cuts.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,161 through 3,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.