Viewing 40 posts - 14,961 through 15,000 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

What is clear is that the result of the Referendum is far more positive than project fear from Cameron/Osbourne/IMF/OECD/Obama etc would have had us believe.

Just stop making things up. It’s getting tedious.

jimster01

How long before they say – We’ve screwed up, let’s forget it and start again?

cchris2lou

never .

5thElefant
    Free Member

How long before they say – We’ve screwed up, let’s forget it and start again?

It was over 40 years last time. 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

What is clear is that the result of the Referendum is far more positive than project fear from Cameron/Osbourne/IMF/OECD/Obama etc would have had us believe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37902922

🙄

br
    Free Member

Is that £25bn additional borrowing per annum by 2020, or ‘just’ an additional £25bn extra borrowed – or something else?

Not quite clear, at least to me anyway – any expert know better?

GrahamS

Well the odd thing is Hammind has eased “austerity” as a result of the Referendum

I think you mean Osborne abandoned his goal of balancing the books by 2020, because he realised that we’d need to splash around a bit of cash to ease the pain from Brexit. Yes?
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/01/george-osborne-scraps-2020-budget-surplus-plan

Hammond is just “reiterating” that the goal was dropped
    http://www.hl.co.uk/news/2016/10/3/hammond-confirms-break-with-osborne-by-dropping-uk-fiscal-goal

He also seems to have misplaced Osborne’s goal of dropping corporation tax to 15%:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/philip-hammond-ditches-george-osbornes-15-corporation-tax-cut-target-a7342771.html

hot_fiat

I can’t tell either. The actual report looks a bit wooly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It was over 40 years last time.

😀

He also seems to have misplaced Osborne’s goal of dropping corporation tax to 15%:

That was just Osbourne shooting his mouth off after the Referendum in the full knowledge he was going to be sacked.

@Pigface £25bn by 2020 is far better than the Remain scenarios. I read it as cumulative. In any case it’s an IFS projection against many unknowns. As per the report @hot_fiat the IFS is EU funded 😉

So can anyone provide an explanation as to why Brexit means RyanAir are CUTTING prices ?

My only thought is its an agressive stance from O’Leary to maintain/increase passenger numbers against what he believes will be reduced demand for flights given lower £ – ie fewer Brits oitweighing more foreign tourists ?

br
    Free Member

My only thought is its an agressive stance from O’Leary to maintain/increase passenger numbers against what he believes will be reduced demand for flights given lower £ – ie fewer Brits oitweighing more foreign tourists ? [/I]

Sounds right.

jambalaya
    Free Member

b r 🙂 I was hoping others may have a theory rather than just saying mine is credible, but thanks anyway !

cchris2lou

Ryanair flights are very often subsidised by local regions they flight to. I remember a case in France Where Air France took legal action.
    And they are renowned to lock their fuel purchase prices for a long time.

mrmo
    Free Member

Indeed a series of diasterous left wing Governments. Heath took us into the EEC as it was a free trade zone which put the reigns on the left. Ironic now that centre keft (not Corbyn et all) want to keep us in the put the reigns on the right.

Jamba. you can blame it on right or left, but the fact is that the UK was collapsing and had been for decades, What was the point of the UK in the 50’s 60’s 70’s etc. The empire had gone, no one owed us a living anymore.

The problem will still have as is clear from many of the brexiter comments is that their is a belief that the world owes us something. Times change the world is no longer individual countries rather it totally connected. What ever happens next the UK is not and can not be in complete control of its destiny.

It will need to trade, it will need to compete, and this means being good at something. The comments coming from Westminster are deluded on so many topics.

molgrips
    Free Member

My only thought is its an agressive stance from O’Leary to maintain/increase passenger numbers against what he believes will be reduced demand for flights given lower £

In their position as the low cost provider, they can increase market share even as total volumes fall due to rising prices. Even as their prices rise.

molgrips
    Free Member

Times change the world is no longer individual countries rather it totally connected.

Has any country in the world actually deliberately REDUCED its integration with other countries, since the war?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips you’ll have to spell it out mode simply. Why are they cutting prices, if what you say isntrue they could achieve that holding them constant as ofhers are forced to raise.

@cchris yes agreed with all of that, however I don’t see that as why they are cutting prices. As an aside fuel hedging is interesting and I worked on that quite a bit when in Singapore with regional arlines there.

Has any country in the world actually deliberately REDUCED its integration with other countries, since the war?

No where else in the world has a political integration project like the EU, so the demand / requirement isn’t there

Rod

So can anyone provide an explanation as to why Brexit means RyanAir are CUTTING prices ?

Reduced demand for a given supply will reduce prices (assuming the costs – such as fuel – are locked in as mentioned above), i.e. you’d expect busy flights to cost more. The article suggests that supply of UK flights will be reduced in the future though, leading to higher prices…

So I don’t think you can spin that O’Leary article as a plus point for Brexit…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rod definitely not trying to spin it, just trying to understand his ploy. You cannot say he isn’t shrewd, he has for example bought up most of what was the spare future production of fuel efficient aircraft to stifle competition.

molgrips
    Free Member

No where else in the world has a political integration project like the EU, so the demand / requirement isn’t there

No but there are many trading blocs, agreements and so on.

Just wondering if anyone has reduced their level of integration/co-operation rather than increased.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Both Clinton and Trump have spoken of unwinding large parts of NAFTA. He would do it, I suspect Clinton is just all talk.

kimbers

Just wondering if anyone has reduced their level of integration/co-operation rather than increased.

best example?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakoku

Japan shut itself down to the world to prevent christian missionaries from corrupting the country
    It allowed the shogun to bring peace and stability and develop what had been a very fractious, warring country, there was limited trade but practically no one could emigrate or immigrate, it did however leave them vulnerable at certain times:
    There were 154 famines, in the period, of which 21 were widespread and serious.
    It ended when the Americans rolled up and blasted the crap out of them and enforced capitalism with the barrel of a gun

5thElefant
    Free Member

But they managed to avoid the horror of Christianity. Sounds like a win.

mrmo
    Free Member

and if you want other examples, north korea, cambodia, cuba and most of the warsaw pact to varying extents.

those all turned out well

kelvin

Both Clinton and Trump have spoken of unwinding large parts of NAFTA. He would do it, I suspect Clinton is just all talk.

Would you see this as a good move?

Nipper99
    Free Member
    mrmo
    Free Member

Another huge success for Enola.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-11-08/india-pushes-u-k-to-figure-out-its-economic-future

Wot no Empire anymore.

is this a surprise to anyone?

mrmo
    Free Member

having this

i don’t need this

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-freedom-of-movement-passport-how-to-keep-parliament-live-move-abroad-a7405196.html

but it is a good idea, for those who want to keep their options open and the way the press is, who can blame them!

honeybadgerx

Well, we just had our first few redundancies this week following the downturn after the vote (and to be honest a month or so before as people put things on hold to wait and see what happened). Pre-construction, so we tend to get hit early by any sort of downturn, but it doesn’t exactly bode well.

fourbanger
    Free Member

If we could opt in to the EU as individuals, then we could become economic migrants 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

Hindu sacred cows on the High Street of Hartlepool would be quite funny though.

slowoldman

Hindu sacred cows on the High Street of Hartlepool would be quite funny though.

They’d probably hang them as spies.

5thElefant
    Free Member

After what they did to that monkey?

Edit: too slow!

br
    Free Member

Re: O’Leary.

He’s a bit like an ex-boss (Stefano Pessina) of mine, he does stuff for a reason. You might not see why now nor in the future, but that’s why he’s a CEO of a very successful business, and we’re not.

GrahamS

but it is a good idea, for those who want to keep their options open and the way the press is, who can blame them!

Seems fair enough to me.

Got to love the views expressed by Jayne Adye in that article though:

Jayne Adye, director of the Get Britain Out campaign described the proposal as divisive and said it was “totally unacceptable” for British people to retain the advantages of EU membership.

“This is an outrage. The EU is now attempting to divide the great British public at the exact moment we need unity. 17.4 million people voted to Leave the EU on 23 June and as a result the UK as a whole will get Brexit,” she said.

Okay the 17.4 million have spoken, but why deny the 16.1 million the option to keep some personal EU membership if they want? Obviously the practicalities of that are fairly limited – no one is going to offer a free trade deal on a personal basis – but, as suggested elsewhere on this thread, I wouldn’t be averse to paying an EU membership fee to continue with my right to free movement within Europe and some form of representation within the EU.

At least she didn’t call anyone traitors I suppose – though I’m sure that wouldn’t take long if this actually went ahead.

Northwind

The response to that is just marvellous isn’t it. It’s like a child complaining that the other kids aren’t playing properly. We’re playing brexit and if you don’t play brexit exactly how I want to play brexit it’ll all be RUINED.

“It’s unfair and discriminatory to offer people I choice I won’t take myself! Just like the way that restaurant discriminates against me by offering dishes other than the one thing I like”

grahamt1980

Amazing the response of her to the article.
    Oh well if i get the chance at having personal membership then brand me a traitor, i know that if job offers come up in Europe with my company then those with free movement will do better

zippykona

I know I said earlier that entries for **** Of The Year had ended I think we can let Ms Adye in.

cchris2lou

Who needs Tesla and India businesses when you have got tea, scones and jam!

Viewing 40 posts - 14,961 through 15,000 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.