Viewing 40 posts - 14,841 through 14,880 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve heard 3 Tory MP’s (including the utterly detestable IDS) asked directly to condemn the press assault on the judiciary.

Are you saying that as a matter of principle the press should not be allowed to condemn or criticise the judiciary?

If not, then who decides what can be said about judges?

To many, at the time, Peter Cooks eviscaration of Mr Justice Canley over his summing up in the Jeremy Thorpe trial was utterley unacceptable and an attack on the Judiciary

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi-agPf95M[/video]

Since then we have had myriad judges openly criticised for lenient sentencing (paedophiles) excessive sentencing (London riots) judges making comments, judges admitting sexual history as evidence (ched evans case)

Are you saying all of them were an attack on judicial independence too?

We have a free press, that includes the freedom to criticise judges, the alternative, the government telling the press what they can say about judicial decisions, is far more worrying

ferrals
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member

The Leave campaign must be held accountable for its promises before the referendum.

EU referendum and Brexit Brexit: CPS considers complaint that leave campaigns misled voters

binners

Are you saying that as a matter of principle the press should not be allowed to condemn or criticise the judiciary?

Well….. theres criticism, and then there’s this……

Which had overtones of one of their previous finer moments

ninfan
    Free Member

Oh, “overtones”, how scary.

One of those words that Lefties like to throw around, like “implies” and “suggests”

Whoooooooooooo!

kimbers

Since then we have had myriad judges openly criticised for lenient sentencing (paedophiles) excessive sentencing (London riots) judges making comments, judges admitting sexual history as evidence (ched evans case)

Are you saying all of them were an attack on judicial independence too?

We have a free press, that includes the freedom to criticise judges, the alternative, the government telling the press what they can say about judicial decisions, is far more worrying

Im not sure that the press declared them Feind Unseres Volkes or tried to use their sexuality against them in any of those cases

mrmo
    Free Member

is being a gay fencer relevant to deciding whether parliament should be involved in deciding brexit?

slowoldman

We have a free press, that includes the freedom to

Lie, spread hatred, etc.

The Peter Cook sketch has always been a favourite of mine though.

binners

Facism does tend to get a bit scary, generally.

Unless you were ‘only following orders’ of course

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’d like to think that headline might be illegal under current laws. Surely it’s libel.

kimbers

http://newsthump.com/20%5B/quote%5D16/11/07/supreme-****-to-march-on-supreme-court/

edit- filter dodging link–> http://tinyurl.com/jjwtql9

Police are said to be expecting the largest single gathering of arseholes since Oswald Mosley and his **** marched up Cable Street.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you saying that as a matter of principle MPs should not be allowed to criticise or condemn the press? Furthermore, are you suggesting that the press are above criticism, and can print whatever they feel like?

Whilst I’d like to, I’m not going to elaborate further, but I’d like to ask you one final question, ninfan:

Do you ninfan condemn the press or if that is a bit too much for you, think there is anything at all wrong with the headlines, sub-headlines and articles they printed about this?

Just to deflect your obvious and most likely response, I’ll take a lack of answer as a no, and your answer to that will help to clarify things for most people on here.

aracer
    Free Member

I was kind of wondering that myself and started checking out the laws which do restrict our freedom of speech, but sadly I suspect they’re OK on libel under the fair comment defence, and just about skirting within the other laws – though I realised that people far better qualified than me would already have thought of that, and the lack of any challenge in that direction means they probably got their lawyers to approve it.

igm

mt – Glasgow born of good Scots stock, I have been in Yorkshire for ove twenty years quietly working on the very project you describe. The union and possible future nation in question shall be called Britain, as it encompasses the majority of the ethnically British people (as opposed to English) with the notable exception of the Welsh and Cornish. Our secret political movement is happy to consider membership for the kingdom of Cornwall and the principality of Wales, but they are demanding we pay them some sort of grant. This is proving a sticking point.
    The remaining part of England, rump England or rE for short, is expected to unite with the Germanic nations with which it shares a common ethnic history, but this is expected to take several generations.
    Given that the celtic British nation has for many years enjoyed a warm relationship with the Germanic nations, particularly the Low Countries, the Scots for example adopting their term for church, kirk, and naming a key area after John from Groats, it is expected that as time passes the relationship between Britain and England will also improve.

And we will all have joy and be joyful.

(By the way not all of this is accurate)

igm

Does being a gay Olympian fencer mean that we are talking about someone who pulled on a uniform to represent his country?

Do you know, I think it might.

More than I’ve done for Britain. Probably more than most Mail or Express types too.

aracer
    Free Member

Represent his country in combat…

ninfan
    Free Member

Do you ninfan condemn the press or if that is a bit too much for you, think there is anything at all wrong with the headlines, sub-headlines and articles they printed about this?

Just to deflect your obvious and most likely response, I’ll take a lack of answer as a no, and your answer to that will help to clarify things for most people on here.

Oh, you’ll get an answer Aracer

The press should be absolutely free to publish whatever the hell they like as long as it is
    i) true
    ii) does not break laws on indecency or public order/incitement
    iii) does not endanger national security
    And the public should be entirely free to buy it, or not to buy it, as they see fit.

I think that in this case the headlines were wrong, because I don’t think the judges are enemies of the people, but I will utterley defend the press having the right to say it, as much as I will defend my right to disagree with it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Those on the left never cease to stop calling the press biased. As I said if you don’t like what you see join Hacked Off and write to your MP to ensure he/she votes for Levinson Part 2 in 35-ish days and for a real press regulator and not the pathetic self serving organisation the press have setup. Don’t be just a keyboard warrior do something about it !

aracer
    Free Member

Is that a yes or a no then? I’m not quite sure where you think this lies on points 1 and 2 (I know what I think, but wouldn’t like to presume).

Yes or no, one word answer.

😆 – though on second thoughts, whilst that’s clearly not the case on here, the rest of the country appears to have lurched to the right whilst I wasn’t paying attention. Can you move from being on the right (of centre) to the left without changing your views just because everybody else has become raving lunatics?

kimbers

The press should be absolutely free to publish whatever the hell they like as long as it is
    i) true

well theyve failed outright on your first point
    they are not ‘Enemeis of The People’ thats obvious to anyone with half a brain

atlaz
    Free Member

Those on the left never cease to stop calling the press biased.

Pretty sure lots of people on the right say the same thing when they feel reporting is against their interests. I seem to recall people on this thread saying this during the Brexit campaign in fact.

kimbers

I know, Ive never heard any right wingers complain about the BBC EVER! 😳

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Are you saying that they’re wrong?

binners

aracer
    Free Member

If we’re treating jamba’s comment seriously, can I point out that you don’t exactly have to be a member of the SWP to see the press bias in the last week. Unless of course Dominic Grieve, Bob Neill and Anna Soubry have all joined up in secret:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-tory-mps-dominic-grieve-anna-soubry-to-speak-out-on-article-50-ruling-backlash_uk_581d9bece4b020461a1c7591

BTW what exactly is the political inclination of the Huff? It’s often a good source for stuff the BBC doesn’t cover, but I’m never sure what the bias is.

squirrelking
    Free Member

See every time someone mentions the blackshirts?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

This^.

Hope none of you drive a Ford either, after all Henry was awarded a Grand Cross of the Supreme Order of the German Eagle due to Hitlers “personal admiration and indebtedness”. That x86/ x86 64 processor in your computer was also invented by IBM who as everyone knows had an administrative hand in the holocaust. The less said about Volkswagen the better though, eh? Wouldn’t want to rock that boat.

See, this is an easy game, anything else we can taint in its modern form due to its history? Of course nobody we are related to could possibly have said anything nice about Blackshirts or such could they? If they did we’d practically be in the SS.

pondo

jambalaya –
    Don’t be just a keyboard warrior…

Now there’s ironing.

kimbers

See every time someone mentions the blackshirts?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/dec/06/dailymail-oswald-mosley

This^

The problem is that brexishambles and the shit it has stirred up has reached such a velocity that its now blasted through the Godwin barrier, all us poor lefties dont know how to even frame this ‘debate’ anymore.

The mail using a front page about judges right out of 1930s germany being a case in point

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think Poe anticipated Brexshit either

kimbers

😉

ninfan
    Free Member

its now blasted through the Godwin barrier, all us poor lefties dont know how to even frame this ‘debate’ anymore.
    The mail using a front page about judges right out of 1930s germany being a case in point

Unless they’re fully aware of the historical complex and rather than stoking the fires of the right wing, are revelling in trolling the left because they know just what buttons to press to set off the howls of outrage.

Makes you think, eh?

kimbers

Unless they’re fully aware of the historical complex and rather than stoking the fires of the right wing, are revelling in trolling the left because they know just what buttons to press to set off the howls of outrage.

Makes you think, eh?

yeah coz the post brexit rise in hate crimes is just really funny trolling 🙄

While it may fill you with joy,
    It wont comfort to the family of Arkadiusz Jozwik

is this like the time you tried to tell us Jo Cox’s killer couldnt possibly be anything to do with the BNP?

mrmo
    Free Member

Makes you think, eh?

which is a VERY dangerous game to play.

I refer you to the article last week on foreign drivers using phones. There is a real issue here, but rather than the one that 1 in 3 drivers admit to using phones whilst driving the mail chose to focus on a small subset. Why would you single anyone group out???

Remember Jo Cox, it only takes one idiot to believe, to get people killed.

GrahamS

See, this is an easy game, anything else we can taint in its modern form due to its history? Of course nobody we are related to could possibly have said anything nice about Blackshirts or such could they? If they did we’d practically be in the SS.

The startling difference is that most others in the “modern form” have realised that the Blackshirts weren’t such a great idea.
    Whereas the Daily Mail has just adjusted its phrasing a little.

El-bent
    Free Member

So you would agree that the Express, mail and sun are comics then?

Yes or no?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I don’t think the editorial staff of the Mail are bright enough – I think they are just think round two and junior Rothermere is following in his grandfather’s footsteps.

Hurrah for the [/s]Blackshirtskippers.

ninfan
    Free Member

It wont comfort to the family of Arkadiusz Jozwik

And I’m sure that the joy of free movement of labour does little to comfort the family of Alice Gross, killed by Latvian Arnis Zalkalns, who was let into the UK despite being a convicted murderer.

See, two of us can play the heart wrenching tragedy game can’t we?

GrahamS

Unfortunately a large majority of their readership are under the impression that they are newspapers.

molgrips
    Free Member

And I’m sure that the joy of free movement of labour does little to comfort the family of Alice Gross, killed by Latvian Arnis Zalkalns, who was let into the UK despite being a convicted murderer.

If he’d only been kept out of the UK, then a Latvian would’ve been killed instead, and that would have been MUCH better.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lay off the press. How many countries can boost a press that is biased against all it’s citizens?

Viewing 40 posts - 14,841 through 14,880 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.