Viewing 40 posts - 9,201 through 9,240 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • GrahamS

Incidentally, every time I see that “Breaking Point” picture my eye is drawn to the white bloke in the bottom right, possibly wearing a police vest, who for some strange reason got covered by their logo:

And of course the startlingly similarity to this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nigel-farages-eu-has-failed-us-all-poster-slammed-as-disgusting-by-nicola-sturgeon_uk_576288c0e4b08b9e3abdc483

DrJ

This is a known problem which has been swept under the carpet for years, now its blown up in our faces.

Only it hasn’t. What has blown up is the racist scapegoating and elevation of this “issue” to the Number One vote-gathering tactic.

athgray
    Free Member

DanW, I think you will find Polish people are the largest group of EU nationals on the immigration stats. Italy is not No.2, Ireland is. Those nasty Irish are coming here with their leprachaunish ways, strange celtic customs, and inability to speak the language to steal your job.
    Jambalaya can raise a glass of his favourite boujelais from his Parisian villa, and you can thank him that he has made it harder for you to follow that frightful path. Thanks to his, and millions of his peers followers you need not take that horrible job in Dublin, and you need not welcome our EU immigrants and the their families to be as our next generation of Britons.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

While you’re hazarding guesses on voting patterns, take another wild stab in the dark about how they all voted in the referendum? These are the very people – nasty, bigoted unapologetic racists – who’s votes were actively courted by Johnson, Gove and co, and now feel their views have been legitimised, and represent the acceptance by the mainstream

“So it is with the Word, with the gift of speech that it the glory of man and distinguishes him everlastingly from the silence or animal noises of creation. When he made the Word, God made possible also its contrary. Silence is the not the contrary of the Word but is guardian. No, He created on the night-side of language a speech for hell. Whose words mean hatred and vomit of life. Few men can learn that speech or speak it for long. It burns their mouths. It draws them into death. But there shall come a man whose mouth shall be as a furnace and whose tongue as a sword laying waste. He will know the grammar of hell and teach it to others. He will know the sounds of madness and loathing and make them seem music. Where God said, let there be, he will unsay.” – The Portage To San Cristobal of A.H

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought this was posted on this thread already but couldn’t find it.

[video]https://vimeo.com/172932182[/video]

This sums it up for me – note the default response from the British Asian guy was immigration, but as the women points out that is because the media has force fed him this line and it’s the first thing that pops into his head.

If the government stood up and said no brexit but taxes are rising and money is going to be pumped into these northern towns to build them up and encourage industries/companies to move there, then I think that would have been acceptable to the vast majority of people (as long as it was realised).

And it would have been a finger up to all the actual racists.

This should have been said immediately though, as the economy has now taken a fairly big hit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Turner guy, here is the biggest problem for the remain politicians. Explaining that the eu hadn’t screwed people over they had.

wilburt
    Free Member

I voted remain and have generally liberal views but do think all you lot calllng anyone with migration concerns racists are as bad as Farage and extremists at the other end of the spectrum.

People worry about new people coming into their communities, thats not an unreasonable concern.
    Ignore it and you get Brexit.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No, listen to them and offer them a referendum and you get brexit.

The brobdingnagian cretins should have never been allowed to vote on the issue. Referendums result in crude thinking that blurs that ever so thin red line between democracy and ochlocracy.

GrahamS

all you lot calllng anyone with migration concerns racists

I agree, but I’m not doing that.

Go read that Facebook thread, go listen to an EDL march, read some Britain First stuff, those particular people don’t have “migration concerns”, they have racist concerns.

Ignoring them is dangerous. Legitimising them is worse!

mikey74
    Free Member

Were Italians not the largest or second largest group of EU nationals coming to the UK? I don’t know the exact numbers but it isn’t as though it would make any difference to a lot of people’s perceptions of immigration anyway

From a chart I found from the Telegraph online:

Spain: 33,000
    Poland: 27,000
    France: 22,000
    Italy: 16,000
    Romania: 15,000
    Germany: 11,000
    Lithuania: 11,000
    Netherlands: 8,000
    Portugal: 8,000

I don’t see many calls for the Spanish to “go home”.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ignoring them is dangerous. Legitimising them is worse!

Why is ignoring them worse? Can’t we go back to the good old 19th century days of horse charging the riotous plebs?

molgrips
    Free Member

People worry about new people coming into their communities

Is that not in itself xenophobic?

Or are you talking about the effect on the labour market? Cos that’s the concern I think. It’s clear to see that if millions of people were to suddenly to turn up in a country competing for work, it would cause trouble.

Not saying that’s what’s happened, or is going to happen, mind. Jury still seems to be out on if our levels of immigration are actually an issue. People seem to blame immigration for general economic turmoil, maybe because they see foreigners in work when they are out of it.

binners

I voted remain and have generally liberal views but do think all you lot calllng anyone with migration concerns racists are as bad as Farage and extremists at the other end of the spectrum.

Who’s doing that? I’m accusing Farage of being an out and out racist, and Johnson and Gove of pandering to racists, and all the above of deliberately and totally irresponsibly stoking up racial tension, to further their own aims, with precious little concern to the long term consequences of that

DanW
    Free Member

From a chart I found from the Telegraph online:

Spain: 33,000
    Poland: 27,000
    France: 22,000
    Italy: 16,000
    Romania: 15,000
    Germany: 11,000
    Lithuania: 11,000
    Netherlands: 8,000
    Portugal: 8,000

Those numbers make sense. I must have confused Italian for Spanish, bloody racist 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

People worry about new people coming into their communities, thats not an unreasonable concern.

Don’t they only worry when the person is “foreign” and “different” from them? they don’t moan when its dave from Guilfrod or Frank from Bolton. They only moan when its Abdhul from bongobongoland. Are the BNP ok and addressing a “reasonable concern”?
    If not then their is a point where this “fear of foreigners” does become racism. At best we are talking about where we draw the line not if some folk are racists. Obviously racist folk dislike immigrations

I accept I live in a bubble of liberals but I have yet to hear anyone speak to me about immigration that was not a racist. Perhaps its because they know how I will react. I am sure there are hard working salt of the earths who just hate immigration but are not racists but its getting into oxymoron territory.

Not all leave voters are racist but all racist were voting leave

Ignore it Pander to this and you get Brexit.

DrJ

do think all you lot calllng anyone with migration concerns racists

I don’t see anyone doing that. I see people saying that making out that immigration is the/one-of-the major problems, enough to decide our future as a country for decades to come, is racist.

Cap fits?

Rockape63
    Free Member

This is a known problem which has been swept under the carpet for years, now its blown up in our faces.

Only it hasn’t. What has blown up is the racist scapegoating and elevation of this “issue” to the Number One vote-gathering tactic.

Only in your world Dr J….there are plenty of communities that have been concerned about it long before the infamous Gillian Duffy/Gordon Brown moment. That was six years ago and what has been done to even patronise these worried communities?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Concerned by or blaming?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Concerned by or blaming?

Some are concerned and some take it further as we’ve seen. I just find it difficult to believe that all you lefties think they should have their towns and villages changed immensely, without having legitimate concerns about it.

slowoldman

Indeed and I agree that most of the concern over immigration seems to be aimed at the Muslim population, despite the fact that has nothing to do with the EU and many (or most by now?) of the Muslim population are British born anyway.

But, no need to let facts get in the way of a political campaign eh?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I just find it difficult to believe that all you lefties think they should have their towns and villages changed immensely, without having legitimate concerns about it.

its not the fault of lefties that the world moved on as they stood still.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the record I’m not a leftie

binners

I hear the hard-of-thinking in my local complaining about ‘all the ****’s’, then they say in the next breath that we need to be out of Europe to combat this.

They think this because:

A) They’re as thick as pigshit
    B) Nigel Farage and UKIP have deliberately conflated two separate issues, as with the ‘Breaking Point’ poster, and then suggested that 2+2 = 874.33. So vote for us.
    C) Because it temporarily suited its ends to do so, the leave campaign (at the very least) deliberately acquiesced in this, giving it an air of legitimacy that they foolishly thought they could just pop back in its box once they’ve finished with it. You can’t. Its not that easy. Instead, you’ve legitimised racism

Or maybe they didn’t even care? I doubt you have much problem with racial and ethnic tension in your neighbourhood, when you live in the places that Nigel and Boris inhabit

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Some are concerned and some take it further as we’ve seen. I just find it difficult to believe that all you lefties think they should have their towns and villages changed immensely, without having legitimate concerns about it.

Many of the towns and villages with the least amount of exposure to actual immigrants were the ones that voted remain and have higher levels of racism – as they think that their quaint little English villages are going to be descended on by a horde of spear chucking brown people.

Those towns and cities where the local whites have been more exposed to brown people tend to be less afraid of them.

That phenomena has also be proven time and time again in the psychology world.

“Legitimate concern” is just a euphemism for “I hate n******”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also my thinking may be confused…
    I’m sat on a tram with probably 30+ ethnic backgrounds, maybe 100+ nationalities and if I had to pick I couldn’t tell you who was born here. Despite being white Anglo Saxondale (with a little nord) in Oz I’m the immigrant taking some bodies job, living in their house stealing their wine etc.
    The world is better through immigration.

GrahamS

That’s unfair.

There are reasonable legitimate non-racist concerns about immigration.

e.g. if increased immigration means our population grows faster than before then how will our already stretched public services cope with the extra demand at a time when their budgets are being squeezed?

Or, if large numbers of unskilled workers from poorer countries enter our job market then won’t that drive down the wages at the lower end of the market and increase the percentage of people on low incomes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@GRAHAMS 180K peak immigration, at the same time unemployment was falling. As a comparison Oz issued over 200k working holiday visa’s last year with 1/3 of the population.

DrJ

As before – reasonable to have concerns, racist to elevate those concerns to headline level.

binners

As a comparison Oz issued over 200k working holiday visa’s last year with 1/3 of the population.

But… but… are you suggesting that an Australian Style Points System wasn’t/isn’t a magic bullet that will mean that ‘nice’ foreign people can move here to contribute, while brown people/ones that are the wrong religion/ and Turks/rapists can all **** off back to where they came from?

Next you’ll be telling me that the Leave campaign were fully aware of this, but carried on parrotting it anyway, offering ludicrously simple solutions to complex problems, having built the ‘immigration problem’ up to mean the end of civilisation as we know it?

GrahamS

@GRAHAMS 180K peak immigration, at the same time unemployment was falling. As a comparison Oz issued over 200k working holiday visa’s last year with 1/3 of the population.

Yep, didn’t mean to imply I agreed with those concerns, just trying to illustrate that people can be concerned about immigration without being racist.

igm

Apparently Leadsom’s CV might not be entirely accurate – who’d have thought a leaver might be a bit of a fibber?

I’m gob-smacked.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not to defend the little Englanders, but the Aus working holiday visa thing is a bit of a red herring. They are only valid for a year (I think). Japan also gets probably 250,000 immigrants a year too, but almost all of them get kicked out after 3 years at most, the total immigrant population is stable at around 1 mill (plus 1 mill 3rd-gen Koreans, but that’s another story entirely). Short-term visa holders are not immigrants, they are visitors.

Whereas 300,000 EU immigrants per year are potentially staying as long as they want.

molgrips
    Free Member

if increased immigration means our population grows faster than before then how will our already stretched public services cope with the extra demand at a time when their budgets are being squeezed

Well then don’t squeeze the damn budgets.

If the people who come generate wealth then the taxation pays for the public services.

By moaning about strain on public services you seem to be implicitly assuming that they won’t be contributing in proportion. Not all immigrants are benefit scroungers, as we have already established. In fact – by arriving at working age and starting work straight away it would be better for the economy than people being born here.

GrahamS

Whereas 300,000 EU immigrants per year

184,000 a year, according to Migration Watch UK. (270,000 arriving and 85,000 leaving).

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Indeed and I agree that most of the concern over immigration seems to be aimed at the Muslim population, despite the fact that has nothing to do with the EU and many (or most by now?) of the Muslim population are British born anyway.

Gilliam Duffy was complaining about eastern European migration, she lives in Rochdale which has a high Asian population, deep social divides based on ethnic origin and the grooming Scandal at its worst at the time

She was the canary in the mine, and should have been heeded by labour who dominate the local political establishment

But, no need to let facts get in the way of a political campaign eh?

I voted remain, but the “bigoted woman” commentary about leave voters isn’t going to tackle the issues, rather it will just increase division and us and them politics

Junkyard
    Free Member

indeed it will but they started the us and them and tbh my desire to appeal to racists and pander to their ill educated biases is extremely low indeed.
    We will remain divided on this issue as will remain divided from those who oppose equal rights and those who opposed same sex marriage

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In theory perhaps. But in practice your two examples do not hold up to scrutiny despite their widespread usage. Hence one is left to the alternative explanation.

Plus we have heard on here that the main problem with the latest EU entrants is that they are poorer. So we have a combination of xenophobia and discrimination against those less well off than us. Neither make me proud to be British at the moment

thecaptain
    Free Member

Sorry, yeah I was thinking of the total not just EU (actually more like 350k IIRC). Same principle though.

ninfan
    Free Member

Many of the towns and villages with the least amount of exposure to actual immigrants were the ones that voted remain and have higher levels of racism – as they think that their quaint little English villages are going to be descended on by a horde of spear chucking brown people.

Those towns and cities where the local whites have been more exposed to brown people tend to be less afraid of them.

That phenomena has also be proven time and time again in the psychology world.

Hmm, its always dangerous to generalise, but perhaps you could explain why Maidenhead and Windsor (77% White British) voted to remain, while Slough (35% White British) voted to leave?

igm

I found another 700k a year who will be a drain on society for the next 20 years and can also stay as long as they want.

There were 695,233 live births in England and Wales in 2014

– ONS

Plus some in Scotland and Ireland.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,201 through 9,240 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.