Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 225 total)
  • Entitled dog owners
  • richc
    Free Member

What would have been acceptable? a polite conversation with the dog?

Yes the bag was left, but i really can’t see what is wrong with shouting at a dog to leave someones belongings alone regardless of where they are.

Just to clarify, if someone shouted at my dog for sniffing their bag I *wouldn’t* have a problem with that at all, only thing I might be worried about is why I didn’t spot it first. Not that I see anyone when I walk my dogs (well I might see 4 people a month)

Oh believe me I’ve been pretty confrontational with irresponsible dog owners. Not that it involves yelling

So what does it involve? Just to see what you consider to be confrontational, as it might be wildly different to what other people consider to be confrontational.

I think he means he’d have yelled at the owner for yelling at his wife.

If that’s what he meant then that seems reasonable to me tbh. May’be not the brightest thing to do but not completely unreasonable.

aracer
    Free Member

Good, most of this thread clearly doesn’t apply to you.

So what does it involve? Just to see what you consider to be confrontation, as it might be wildly different to what other people consider to be confrontational.

Forcefully stating my case and being unwilling to back down (though you might have guessed that unless you really do think I’m a keyboard warrior 😉 ). I think I did mention earlier that I got my phone out to call the police given one woman’s attitude that I was in the wrong when her dog bit me. I might have also got quite close into her personal space in that case.

richc
    Free Member

I think I did mention earlier that I got my phone out to call the police given one woman’s attitude that I was in the wrong when her dog bit me.

How many run in’s with dogs do you have?

I’ve had dogs for years and only had a couple of issues namely: big group of dogs playing in middle of park in a large knot, and a man decided that he wanted to stand exactly where they were playing so took large (50M) detour to march through them kicking them as he approached; and my girlfriend who got yelled at to pick up the dogs pee in a park as its disgusting!

I might have also got quite close into her personal space in that case.

Hmmmmmm, that’s not good as while I can appreciated you were understandably pissed off about being bitten, intimidating/scaring a woman, especially if she was alone isn’t a very nice thing to do.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well perhaps not yell but I’d have had a word.

FFS man you cannot even alpha male on the internet from behind the keyboard.

Say you would rip their head off and stamp on thei spleen not i would politely express my dissmay at their discourteous behaviour
    Yours
    CHAV

Del

he and presumably other dog owners on this thread

oh i do love a generalisation.
    three pages based on a story from somebody’s wife, which really amounts to little more than here-say, and it’s no surprise that this forum appears to have a reputation for being filled with people who could have an argument in an empty room.
    i think i’ve read ‘not everyone loves your dog as much as you do’ on at least 4 different threads in recent months. one can only assume it’s a slow day…

aracer
    Free Member

Well by the sounds of things you’re a responsible dog owner, so not surprising you’ve no experience of the sort of issues I’ve had with irresponsible ones! FWIW I agree that the people you mention are stupid. Not like I’ve had hundreds, but I’ve been bitten at least 5 times I can think of, the only thing I was doing wrong in any of those incidents was either running or riding a bike (and been told that I should have stopped running/riding rather than them keep their dog under control).

Hmmmmmm, that’s not good as while I can appreciated you were understandably pissed off about being bitten, intimidating/scaring a woman, especially if she was alone isn’t a very nice thing to do.

Oh I agree, but I was angry (which is no excuse) – not so much at being bitten as at her attitude to the bite. I still don’t think she was very nice.

yunki
    Free Member

I reckon you’ve got a strong case for a compensation claim here.. not only for the distressing episode with the dog but also for the trauma that you must have suffered as a result of this thread

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve been bitten at least 5 times I can think of,

Bloody hell, you need to contact Roy Castle Ross McWhirter Marco Frigatti !

andyrm
    Free Member

There has to be an element of personal responsibility on BOTH sides of this story.

If you leave a bag unattended and something happens to it (stolen/damaged/sniffed by a pup), you have to take primary responsibility for putting yourself in that situation due to not looking after your own property. I wouldn’t leave my car with the keys in “because I should be able to”. Same principle applies.

On the other hand, as an owner of a puppy myself (10 month old Patterdale terrier), I know to put him on the lead in areas that could harbour potential conflict with less tolerant people, regardless of who is at fault.

Bit of both at fault here.

Not worth 3 pages though.

anagallis_arvensis

got yelled at to pick up the dogs pee in a park as its disgusting!

That happened to me once. Very odd not sure what the bloke hoped to achieve really he went proper mental. I agreed with him it was a little bit unfortunate but there wasnt really anything I could do about it. He carried on swearing and trying to be intimidating expecting me to run away I think. Fat **** wouldnt take a swing when invited though…. I dont get some people, so much aggression and yet so controlled at not escalating anything.

Oh and OP the dog needs to be dangerously out of control for it to be a problem and I dont think sniffing a bag counts.

Cougar

If you leave a bag unattended and something happens to it (stolen/damaged/sniffed by a pup), you have to take primary responsibility for putting yourself in that situation due to not looking after your own property. I wouldn’t leave my car with the keys in “because I should be able to”. Same principle applies.

It is the same principle, but you’re setting a dangerous precedence here. It’s called “blaming the victim,” and it’s perilously close to the woolly thinking that trots out lines like “she was asking for it.”

It’s sensible to take steps to protect yourself, of course, but in a crime ultimately the blame still lies solely with the perpetrator. If you left your keys in the car and it got stolen, it’s not because you left your keys in the car, it’s because there’s a bloody car thief about.

Would it have been more sensible for MrsOP not to leave her bag unattended? Sure. But does that mean it’s all right for someone / something to interfere with her property if she does?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not like I’ve had hundreds, but I’ve been bitten at least 5 times I can think of

I got bitten 3 times as a kid, and an attempted bite aged about 16.

Not worth 3 pages though.

Most of this is people having a go at aracer for something that was completely not the point of the thread. Staggering lack of reading comprehension skills.. perhaps being a dog lover does something to your brain? 😉

anagallis_arvensis

sensible to take steps to protect yourself, of course, but in a crime ultimately the blame still lies solely with the perpetrator. 

No crime was committed here. A dog sniffed a bag.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m with you on this one OP. Someone was mildly rude to me today as well…first thing I wanted to do was run home and post about it on internet 😉

richc
    Free Member

It is the same principle, but you’re setting a dangerous precedence here. It’s called “blaming the victim,” and it’s perilously close to the woolly thinking that trots out lines like “she was asking for it.”

Holy shit, that reads a little like you are comparing this (a dog sniffing a bag) to rape……..

rossatease
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    I reckon you’ve got a strong case for a compensation claim here.. not only for the distressing episode with the dog but also for the trauma that you must have suffered as a result of this thread

I’ve been wondering about compensation claims after all the stress I get reading the frequent drivel on this forum, I’m quite often traumatised..

However back to the subject at hand in which I can see both sides and I think my comment would be dependant upon the tone of Mrs Aracer if it were my pup and I’d unfortunately caused the incident as has happened on the odd occasion, normally I would be fully embarrassed and try to prevent such an incident occurring and were it to happen I’d be instantly apologetic.

But there are times when apologies are never enough and ‘they’ (probably due to irrational fear or annoyance at their own stupidity or for whatever reason) enter effing and blinding rant mode, at which point it becomes difficult not to counter in similar vein, so without being there a tricky one to pass judgement on.

Humans are humans wether they own dogs or not they don’t always get on, particularly if voices are already raised, dogs are dogs and don’t pay much attention to shouty people anyway unless they know them and puppies know nothing yet other than it smells different and might be nice to eat.

I’m with the mountain and molehill illustration personally.

Cougar

No crime was committed here. A dog sniffed a bag.

Holy shit, that reads a little like you are comparing this (a dog sniffing a bag) to rape……..

In both cases I was talking about the analogy Andy posted, regarding car theft. Might I suggest Mirapexin?

anagallis_arvensis

So you were talking about the analyogy being made without any reference to what the analogy is about? How odd. Should his response have been, “its analogy you ****, dont take it literally”.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cranky thread, needs ending. I blame the humidity…

anagallis_arvensis

I blame the dogs.

Cougar

So you were talking about the analyogy being made without any reference to what the analogy is about? How odd. Should his response have been, “its analogy you ****, dont take it literally”.

Sorry, I’m clearly overestimating my readers in expecting a degree of common sense and the ability to read the entirety of a post in context.

On the upside, maybe the Daily Mail are hiring?

anagallis_arvensis

The analogy is the point point of the post you blathering idiot as you said yourself.

rogg
    Free Member

Best thread evah!

I will however be reporting DezB to the RSPCA for encouraging all and sundry to kick his dog up the arse.

aracer
    Free Member

[/quote]

It is indeed an extremely poor example to use.

Don’t get me wrong, not because it’s not a valid example of victim blaming, one in which most people won’t identify with the perpetrator, so find it rather easier to work out who the victim is than an incident involving dogs, but because some people get all confused and assume you’re comparing the original incident with rape and the thread gets derailed.

Cougar

The analogy is the point point of the post you blathering idiot as you said yourself.

Eh?

I was replying to a comment Andy made. You called me on it, “no crime was committed,” and though I thought it was obvious from context I nonetheless elaborated that the “crime” I was referencing was the one he brought up.

Now you’re telling me that that was the point of the post; you seem to be aggressively agreeing with me? Am I being spectacularly dense here or did I call your pint a poof at some point or something?

Cougar

It is indeed an extremely poor example to use.

Cheerfully withdrawn. It was simply the most clear-cut “blaming the victim is bad mmkay” example I could think of; see that Jodie Foster movie. But it was probably insensitive, and you’re right, it’s to easy to get taken out of context by the hard of reading. Sorry. I’m somewhat Aspie and I have a blind spot to this sort of thing.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

richc > I don’t take them to the park in the summer precisely because there are picnickers there and it means I’d have to keep the dogs on the lead

i do this too. fortunately i live in wales so those two days have already past for the year

aracer
    Free Member

OK, let’s run with that analogy. I have to admit I’m not all that up with cases involving stealing cars, but a quick google suggests a sentence of up to 6 months imprisonment (with no other aggravating factors). However when it comes to leaving a car with the keys in I couldn’t find any sentencing guidelines at all – could you help me out here as I’m trying to assess the relative division of fault. Do you think a maximum sentence of 1 month would be reasonable for leaving keys in a car, so making the thief 6 times more at fault? Or am I under sentencing the person leaving the keys a bit there?

On the other hand, as an owner of a puppy myself

Now there’s a surprise.

I know to put him on the lead in areas that could harbour potential conflict with less tolerant people, regardless of who is at fault.

What interesting use of language. So the conflict which could arise, is it more likely to be the less tolerant people at fault than your puppy? Actually it would help an awful lot if you could explain what perfectly reasonable behaviour those awful people are less tolerant about.

funkmasterp

I can see where the op is coming from, but personally I’d have used it as an excuse for some serious puppy wrestling. Who’s bad doggy, grrr, argh that kinda thing, tickle it until it does a wee (not on the bag though).

muggomagic

So to summarise, dog sniffed strange object on the ground, bag lady was worried strange dog might piss on said bag then shouted at strange dog to get away. Tetchy dog owner shouted back at bag lady and told her to do one as his precious can do what it likes.
    So no damage to property, no threats or actual harm done to any of the parties involved. So what is it we’re all discussing here?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bag lady

I didn’t realise things had got that tough at the aracer household. 🙂

So what is it we’re all discussing here?

Every so often, we need a dog thread so the loverz and haterz can get things off their chest and have a bit of an argue where they can make ridiculous generalisations about one another, using the lowest common denominator of each other’s group to sling shit (that hasn’t been bagged up).

funkmasterp

Now if a kitten dared sniff my bag, things would get real…. Real quick 😈

benji
    Free Member

Dog into bag, into pond, problem solved 😈

funkmasterp

[/quote]Dog into bag, into pond, problem solved

School boy error there Benji.You need weight to ensure neither dog nor bag can rise from the depths and seek revenge!

benji
    Free Member

School boy error there Benji.You need weight to ensure neither dog nor bag can rise from the depths and seek revenge!

Have you ever picked up a ladys handbag, most have their own gravitational pulls there is that much stuff/junk rammed in there.

funkmasterp

I didn’t think of that. Perhaps the puppy could start a new life in there, free from the tyranny of ownership and the wrath of the picnic people. For he shall be the dog king of bagdad!

I think sleep may be in order 😛

andyrm
    Free Member

OK, let’s run with that analogy. I have to admit I’m not all that up with cases involving stealing cars, but a quick google suggests a sentence of up to 6 months imprisonment (with no other aggravating factors).

Let’s look at your insurance policy. Leave the car keys in (i.e. not take full and proper care of your property) and it will not be covered. Proximate Cause is the leaving of the keys. If they were not left, the incident could not have happened.

First point – we need to stop trying to absolve ourselves as a culture of any responsibility for things that are our own fault. If you abandon something and it is lost/eaten/stolen, the act of abandoning it led to it happening. Proximate Cause is the leaving unattended/abandoning of said item.

What interesting use of language. So the conflict which could arise, is it more likely to be the less tolerant people at fault than your puppy? Actually it would help an awful lot if you could explain what perfectly reasonable behaviour those awful people are less tolerant about.

I am aware that some people are scared/allergic/nervous around even little dogs. I know they are irrational fears founded on nothing. But I have enough courtesy to keep my dog on a lead in scenarios where I am statistically more likely to meet people with these fears.

Far too much emotional language and personally involved anecdotal “evidence” being used in this thread, in other words, biased single sided stories, as borne out by the thread title.

In summary:

– Aracer’s bird left her bag unattended, showing lack of due care for personal property.
    – Puppy sniffed it.
    – Some shouting occurred.
    – All involved parties could have behaved like civil human beings rather than getting all emotional.
    – The end.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

as borne out by the thread title.

Indeed. It was clearly designed to incite hatred.

rogg
    Free Member

I am aware that some people are scared/allergic/nervous around even little dogs. I know they are irrational fears founded on nothing

Could you be any more patronising? Given that thousands of people are bitten by dogs every year, it’s hardly ‘an irrational fear founded on nothing’ is it?

Del

Indeed. It was clearly designed to incite hatred. troll. again.

FIFY.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Entitled dog owners’ is closed to new replies.