Entitled dog owners

Home Forum Chat Forum Entitled dog owners

Viewing 45 posts - 181 through 225 (of 225 total)
  • Entitled dog owners
  • Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Anyone got any statistics for how many runners have suffered horse bites?

Premier Icon DavidB
    Subscriber

Anyone got any statistics for how many runners have suffered horse bites?

African or European?

i’ve been biten by a few horses and kicked a few times, wasnt running though

Dogs are not horses. Ridiculous comparison.

clearly horses are not dogs but why is the comparison ridiculous both are pets people take out in public, both can be unpredictable and both bite and can cause serious injury.

neilwheel

Do you know anyone who exercises their horse “off the lead” in public?

At a most basic level:

Horse – Herbivorous animal with a predator reflex.

Dog – Carnivorous animal with a prey drive.

Well I’ve been along bridleways and footpaths through fields with horses that werent on leads.

The times I’ve been bitten (I can remember):
    – running past a travellers encampment on a FP, didn’t see dog until it came running out and sank its teeth into my leg. Bite drew blood.
    – biking on Malvern Hills, dog running loose way ahead of people it was with bit me on the foot as I biked past. Put a hole in my shoe and bruising on my foot. Came back for a second go and got a kick. Apparently I should have stopped when I saw the dog.
    – running interval session on Malvern Common, chased and bitten by puppy. Drew blood. Apparently it was my fault, not that of the dog or the owner as it was an untrained puppy and I should have stopped running.
    – riding on tracks near Minehead, bitten by loose dog as I rode past. Drew blood. Owner actually very apologetic for a change and took in what I said about control of dog, given which I kept my calm and was polite to her.
    – riding downhill on a different track near Minehead, loose slates making a lot of noise. Bitten by loose dog well away from owner, which came back at me for a second go ignoring her attempt at “control”. Owner tells me it’s all my fault for riding fast down the track, not having a bell etc. Oh and bite drew blood – as with all cases apart from the shoe, bite was onto bare skin.

Clearly the common theme here is that I’m not actually being wary enough of the dogs!

POSTED 20 HOURS AGO #
    Sounds like they were all easily avoidable, barring possibly the first.The clues as to how are in your moan above.
    You could carry on being a tit and blame everyone else for your misfortune, but you’re going to carry on being bitten. (hopefully)

neilwheel

“Well I’ve been along bridleways and footpaths through fields with horses that werent on leads.”

Do you go through people’s back gardens where they keep their dogs?

Not sure that is relevant, rather than asking a string of pointless questions why dont you just say what you would like me to post and I’ll consider it. It will be quicker this way.

neilwheel

Is you can’t see the relevance there is not much point really.

As above, horses and dogs behave very differently.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

richc

As above, horses and dogs behave very differently.

But if you are a dick to them, and they feel threatened I am sure they would all bite you.

The OP has a long history running over years (google aracer singletrackworld dogs to see) of being a dick to and around dogs which might be why he keeps getting bitten; remember there are two sides to every story and the OP has shown himself to be rabidly anti dog over years of posting so perhaps you should take everything he says with a bag of salt.

neilwheel

why dont you just say what you would like me to post

“I am making dumb statements because I’m
    (a) too daft to realise,
    (b) arguing for the sake of it,
    I’m very sorry for being a prat.”

Delete as appropriate.

care to explain what dumb statements I’ve made and put forward a reasoned argument yourself?

oh and dogs are omnivourous

neilwheel

Richc –

I’m not taking sides here, just reading the thread and unable to not respond to the comment above.

The point of the thread, with an aggravating title, was that dogs should be under control, should be trained by their owners, and people should take responsibility for their actions. That I do agree with.

nice editing, good work champ

neilwheel

No editing, either real or imaginary.

Here we go:

Dogs can be unpredictable. Owners should be able to control them at a moments notice when others are around.

Does the first part not mean the second is impossible?[/quote]

No, depending on the nature of the animal, a dog can be under control off the lead, on a lead or with a harness and muzzle. In the last case I would still consider the dog to be not under control if the owner was physically unable to stop the animal from moving.

and are the people who keep getting bitten the ones who believe what you are saying should be the case.

I can’t answer that for you, and yes I have been bitten by a dog that required hospital treatment.

Horses are unpredictable but people slow down for them and pass with great care

Horses are predictably unpredictable, they will generally react in a similar way when frightened.

both are pets people take out in public, both can be unpredictable and both bite and can cause serious injury.

Well I’ve been along bridleways and footpaths through fields with horses that werent on leads.

You have a right to access only, the rest of the field is not yours to wander about in if you like. It is not public. If the owner kept a vicious horse in a field with public access then that is unacceptable.
    The horse(s) generally has enough space to not feel threatened.

Most people would not enter a smaller enclosed space with an uncontrolled horse in it.

More people would be willing to enter a small enclosed space (back garden for example) with an uncontrolled dog in it, depending on the animals behaviour.

oh and dogs are omnivourous

The distinction in diet is principally to illustrate the different instincts, obviously.

The distinction in diet is principally to illustrate the different instincts, obviously.

what distinction in diet, I imagined the editing didnt I?

predictably unpredictable…. thats great, keep going I need a laugh

MrSalmon

However, if I left a bag laying about and a puppy disappeared into it head first I’d think it was hilarious. Because puppies are cute and I’m watching a baby with an unquenchable curiosity get into humorous scrapes. Were I to shoo it away, I’d do so with the same tone and attitude I’d use with a toddler. Gentle firm and in good humour.

You might have done likewise. You might have yelled angrily and aggressively. And the answer to that pretty much decides who was being the tool in your case.

Totally disagree. People are tools if they’re not as delighted as you to have a dog sniffing in their bag? Really?
    Agree that there doesn’t sound like any need to get properly angry in this case, although it’s not clear anyway that that’s what happened and it would depend on what’s in the bag.

But this seems to be grounded in the assumption that there is no need for the owner to be on top of what their dog is doing, and responsibility for what happens when it goes where it’s not wanted rests with the person on the receiving end. IME that’s showing a total lack of consideration for other people- you don’t get to decide what they should or shouldn’t be bothered about, they do, and there should be more respect for that.

public bridleways are not public 😆

oh and dogs react in similar fairly predictable ways when threatened

neilwheel

So you responded to that comment but are now claiming you did not see it.

Get a bunch of dogs and horses together, stand behind each one and wave your arms about.
    Let me know how you get on with that.

You asked for a explanation, it’s been given, and this is all you have got?

richc

The point of the thread, with an aggravating title, was that dogs should be under control, should be trained by their owners, and people should take responsibility for their actions. That I do agree with.

I completely agree with that, as would any sane person.

So you responded to that comment but are now claiming you did not see it.

You are priceless, I responded to a comment that you edited out and then you told me you havent edited anything, then you defend the removed comment and now you saying I made up the comment about editing or something, I’m lost but my day has brightened up a great deal since you arrived. 😆

this is beyond question

Get a bunch of dogs and horses together, stand behind each one and wave your arms about.
    Let me know how you get on with that.

quality, if I can predict what might happen does that make me wrong or you wrong, I’m not sure any more.

neilwheel

You are priceless, I responded to a comment that you edited out and then you told me you havent edited anything, then you defend the removed comment and now you saying I made up the comment about editing or something, I’m lost but my day has brightened up a great deal since you arrived.

Nothing has been removed, three lines have been added, for clarity, as you seem to be on a wind up. Anyways…………..nevermind……………….

neilwheel

if I can predict what might happen does that make me wrong or you wrong, I’m not sure any more.

Your the one claiming dogs and horse should be treated the same. I’m sure that you’re not sure.

Crag

Puppy sniffs unattended bag. 6 page bitchfest breaks out on the internet. The members of STW, I salute you. Job well done.

Your the one claiming dogs and horse should be treated the same. I’m sure that you’re not sure.

did I, I honestly dont remember saying that, but I have been laughing a lot

neilwheel

ZZZzzzzzzzz………………ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………………….ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………..

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

More to the point, why is my mugshot on page 1…eh…eh?

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

richc wrote:

The OP has a long history running over years (google aracer singletrackworld dogs to see) of being a dick to and around dogs which might be why he keeps getting bitten; remember there are two sides to every story and the OP has shown himself to be rabidly anti dog over years of posting so perhaps you should take everything he says with a bag of salt.

So now the dog lovers are reduced to character assassination to make their point. How about you provide a single example of me being a dick to or around dogs (cycling or running past them minding my own business doesn’t count), or of me being rabidly anti-dog. Alternatively a full retraction and apology will be fine.

Oh, and apology accepted for your previous claim – no I was not that person.

It is interesting that in the end the dog lovers on this thread have done a good job of proving the original point – that other people are expected to modify their behaviour to avoid incidents with dogs, when they’d rather just ignore them and be ignored by them.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Oh let’s just do this one as well:

Andy wrote:

I see you also still have a reading and comprehension failure, that or deliberately misrepresenting.

I’m not going to turn this into something personal but II see you have fallen into the same trap that I highlighted earlier – this attitude probably doesn’t help in these or other situations. Try not to be so confrontational and look down on people just because they have another standpoint.[/quote]

Another standpoint? I’m quite happy to accept that – what I will challenge is people who claim something which isn’t true. Given

Andy wrote:

- Woman stupidly leaves bag unattended
    – Puppy sniffs bag
    – People act inappropriately and situation escalates

is a complete misrepresentation of the situation described in the OP (oh yes it’s subtle, but there is a distinct difference between “sniff” and “investigate” for example) is that because you didn’t read the OP properly, or because you’re distorting things to suit your agenda?

Stop, stand calmly and let it come and sniff you, see you are not a dog or a threat to it’s master and then move on. Simple.

Every time I encounter a dog whilst out running or biking? I’d probably better give up then, because I’m not going to get much done. Alternatively the owners could control their dogs so that I can run/bike and ignore them which is what I’d like to do.

I can’t help thinking that there’s definitely something being done wrong, and first 2 things I think of are firstly the running away thing, and secondly hostility towards dog/owner which naturally drives the dog to defend it’s master from what it interprets as an aggressor.

I shall try to put this in as non-confrontational way as possible, but did you read my explanations of being bitten, and if not could you go back and re-read them? Because as I mentioned there is only one case where I was actually moving away from the dog before being bitten rather than it just approaching me, and in none of the cases was I anywhere near the owner, let alone being hostile towards them (by default I’m friendly to everybody).

I’m not sure why the dog owners are having such a hard time understanding that some dogs just bite, not given 200,000 bites a year. Regarding the stats, a-a’s assertion is actually a fail for a different reason. Even if we assume everybody in the population has an equal chance of being bitten, my 5 bites are over 20 years, hence 4 million bites over that time. So approximately a 1 in 15 chance of being bitten in that period, a 1 in 225 chance of being bitten twice… 1 in 760,000 chance of being bitten 5 times. So I’m quite unusual, but given a population of 60 million there are probably hundreds who’ve been bitten that many times over that period.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

wrote:

this is beyond question
    [/quote]

So everybody actually agrees with the point that the owner of the dog in the OP was in the wrong? Phew.

scruff

Are you talking to yourself now?

I’m not sure if the response to the bag sniffing needed shouting from either party though.

Why is everyone spending so much time thinking of responses, most likely getting stressed and cross and generally stewing over all of this.
    All of us never existed before we were born, we are at best alive for a insignificant passing of time, no more than a blink of an eye in the whole scheme of the universe, and then in a heartbeat we are gone…to an eternity of non existence along with the billions who were here before us for the same tiny dot of conscious existence. And this is how we feel best to spend this never to be retrieved moment that we have, by getting defensive, cross and stressed about who was in the wrong when a puppy sniffed a bag.

andyrm

Quick! Call the police!

dashed

there is a distinct difference between “sniff” and “investigate”

Define investigate then! It’s a pretty ambiguous term in this context.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The point of the thread, with an aggravating title, was that dogs should be under control, should be trained by their owners, and people should take responsibility for their actions.

No it’s not. It’s that the dog owner in the OP seemed to think his dog could do whatever it liked without being disciplined by a third party.

This is not so. If a dog ran into my garden, or jumped up onto my kid or anythign else unwelcome with regards my property or dependents I’d say ‘down boy, shoo’ or similar.

This is a normal thing to do to dogs isn’t it? So why was the owner upset?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

‘Down boy’?

That’s just sexist.

neilwheel

The point of the thread, with an aggravating title, was that dogs should be under control, should be trained by their owners, and people should take responsibility for their actions.

No it’s not. It’s that the dog owner in the OP seemed to think his dog could do whatever it liked without being disciplined by a third party.[/quote]

Seems pretty much the same to me

This is not so. If a dog ran into my garden, or jumped up onto my kid or anythign else unwelcome with regards my property or dependents I’d say ‘down boy, shoo’ or similar.

This is a normal thing to do to dogs isn’t it? So why was the owner upset?

No problem here. The owner is a muppet.

I had a similar situation.

Stopped to eat my lunch in a park recently.

Sat on the grass enjoying my sandwich when two dogs approached. The owner called them a number of times and neither dog paid any attention. I have been around dogs all my life and have owned a few, no problem, until the male of the pair went to cock it’s leg on my backpack, which I was waiting for it to do.
    It received a light but firm kick, at which point the owner started running towards me shouting. At this point i could not be bothered to explain what his dog owning responsibilities are and told him “If you don’t **** off, I’m going to kick you too.”

Really did spoil an otherwise very nice sandwich.

I AM IN THE RIGHT GOD DAMMIT EVEN WHEN IT SPOILS MY DAY, I AM IN THE RIGHT!!!!!

neilwheel

SSSSSSHHHhhhhhhhh…………….ZZZzzzz………………ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz………………..

Maybe you could tells us some more stories about how tough you are, you seem to like that.

Viewing 45 posts - 181 through 225 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Entitled dog owners’ is closed to new replies.