Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Embarrassed post about men's shoes…
  • finnegan
    Free Member

The helpful response to shredder’s post about watches has made me bold, perhaps unwisely.

A few months ago I saw a smartly dressed chap on the tube whose shoes I coveted. I could have asked him where he got them at the time, but that would have been too easy, obviously. So, does anyone on here know a decent forum like this but about, err, men’s shoes?

Or, better still, does anyone know who makes very smart, slim styled brogues (or perhaps Derbys, my shoe terminolgy is weak) where the punched pattern on the toe makes the shape of a spider rather than the usual swirl? Sounds twee, but subtly done and worked beautifully – the sort of thing I could imagine Berluti doing, but I don’t think so.

Right, beginning to feel embarrassed now, so just press ‘Send’ and be done with it.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

*houns to the forum…repeat, houns to the forum*

iDave
    Free Member

Oliver Sweeney are distinctive and stylish, IMO

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Houns

8)

Hmm i can’t think off the top of my head who makes those shoes, i will do some research.

In the meantime have a look at Church’s

meehaja
    Free Member

Ikon spider? Can’t find any in stock, but look pretty subtle.

bigG
    Free Member

you’ll be wanting Paul Smith shoes then…

i have these and these too

they are really rather spiffing,,Oliver Sweeney is soooooo last year darling,,

finnegan
    Free Member

Thanks Houns!
    In general style they weren’t unlike the Oliver Sweeney Orate Red Tamponato (except not red, and probably not one piece, but you get the slim brogue idea).

Weasel
    Free Member

Try Jeffery West

iDave
    Free Member

black shoes = fail. FACT

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Try searching for ‘Loake Gunny’.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

These any good?

8)

Del

LOL!
    i tried a pair of church’s once. they were like sideshow bob’s shoes….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bespoke is where it’s at! I can wholeheartedly recommend Ducker’s in Oxford. On the Turl if you know it.

BillMC

bespoke +1
    I had a lovely pair of brogues made by a shoemaker formerly of John Lobb for £350. Result!
    If you want good shoes at reasonable prices come to Northampton on a Saturday. There are factory shops at Church’s, Crockett and Jones and Cheaneys up the road in Desborough.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Trickers and Thomas Cribb are the best shoes. Trickers used to make Paul Smith but now Paul Smiths they are made in India are look the part but don’t last as well as they did. Buttero are nice too, they make Dior Homme too which need to be avoided unless you own a yacht or think you do.

Bunnyhop

Shoes are so important.

When my sister and I were single, we looked a chap quickly up and down, taking great care to weigh up their shoes.

Personality did play a part too of course.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Oliver Sweeney are very nice. Much more comfortable than Church’s.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Five tens. Very good grip

(sorry could not resist giving the stock STW answer to any question about shoes)

jamesca
    Free Member

Grenson maybe, I have a couple of pairs and for the money the best made and most stylish shoes available(off the peg). that’s just my opinion tho’

DT78
    Free Member

Bit of a vague description – sound a bit like my jeffrey wests…

http://www.soletrader.co.uk/soletrader/product/Brands_SoleTrader_JEFFERYWEST/JWSLIPBK.htm

they’re lovely 🙂

EDIT – looking at what others have posted maybe not! I must fail at posh shoes, most of what has been linked look like grandad shoes…?!

molgrips
    Free Member

When my sister and I were single, we looked a chap quickly up and down, taking great care to weigh up their shoes.

What would you think of a bloke wearing Keens then? 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

most of what has been linked look like grandad shoes…?!

You mean ‘timeless classics’ rather than ‘disposable fashionista poncewear’? I suppose you’d buy a suit based upon what Beckham was wearing this week!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I wear Grensons too. Bloody lovely!

Have a fab pair of Hawkins Astronauts (sadly no longer available) which are faves too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or, better still, does anyone know who makes very smart, slim styled brogues (or perhaps Derbys, my shoe terminolgy is weak) where the punched pattern on the toe makes the shape of a spider rather than the usual swirl?

Jeebus. Just about every **** company that makes shoes is making about five variations on the brogue style at the moment.

Flashy’s never had a bespoke shoe in his life. The nearest he’s come to bespoke is when he adjusts the footplates on his wakeboard.

EDIT: Those Paul Smith shoes are bloody horrible.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Paul Smith used to make lovely shoes (or Trickers did for them) now they are made in India on budget but thier price remains the same. A pair or clarkes is far better in quality. Some Paul Smith look ok still but they lost that bespoke feel. Look at the shoes, look at the man.

sweepy
    Free Member

I got my shoes for twenty quid from Matalan, But then I only wear them when someone dies.

DT78
    Free Member

Those Paul Smith shoes are bloody horrible

lol – don’t you mean ‘timeless’ 🙂

Macgyver

I rather like Barkers shoes myself.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

id second jefferey west shoes…ive got 3 pairs and theyre timeless/classic…ill wear them for years..id agree with most of the comments above.anything handmade will be great quality…ive had bespoke shoes and theyre no better than a decent handmade pair(such as jeffery shoes)

id concur with sweeney although the designs have not really altered in the last five years..for a cheaper but still really good quality have a look at poste/kurt geigers own shoes..looking after them helps also

just my 2p( ive got over 30 pairs of shoes)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

what sort of a **** spends £300 on a set of shoes!?!?!

finnegan
    Free Member

Thanks FoxyChick, those turquoise beauties would be great for weekends, but I’m not sure they’re for the office. The Loake Gunny is on the right lines: a little more like this (excuse bad Photoshoppery):

is what I’d seen and am trying to track down. In black, even though black shoes apparently = fail.

Any clues, or shoe forum recommendations welcome, thanks,

Everywhen
    Free Member

Loakes are good, the Badminton is a nice everyday shoe.

Trickers are heavier built and take longer to break in.

A decent brogue looks good with formal and casual dress.

iDave
    Free Member

what sort of a **** spends £300 on a set of shoes!?!?!

someone who likes shoes and can afford £300

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

But you’ll look a right idiot when your on a night out with your mates and someone comments on your new shoes (probably along the lines of “you look like a right ponce in them mate”)

When you mention how much they were, your gonna get absolutely destroyed. Timberland and River Island do some nice looking boots/shoes and your not gonna net laughed out the pub wearing them either. Get some self respect.

glenh
    Free Member

That rather depends on what sort of mates you have, I imagine.

Houns

I’ve got some, that’s why I buy nice shoes.

I’d also hate to be in $hithole of a pub where I’d be ‘destroyed’ for wearing a pair of shoes, fortunately I have friends who aren’t knuckle dragging Neanderthals

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC chewke is the forum expert to end all forum experts on men’s (“mens'”?) shoes.

iDave
    Free Member

Get some self respect

Isn’t buying and wearing whatever you want a sign of having self-respect as opposed to worrying about what your tosspot mates think? Are you 14?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d also hate to be in $hithole of a pub where I’d be ‘destroyed’ for wearing a pair of shoes, fortunately I have friends who aren’t knuckle dragging Neanderthals

What pubs do you drink at?

Infact you probably dont even drink. I bet your idea of a good night out is sitting in your local Costa Coffee sipping on a latte. dunno what your on about knuckle dragging neanderthals, your mates probably no alot about cosmopolitan magazine and wine but they wont be able to help you when you want your bathroom re-tiling or an extension putting up. They’ll hurt their dainty hands haha!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – If you can spend £300 on a pair of shoes, when you need one of those jobs doing… you can probably afford to get a man in. Meanwhile you go off and play on one of your mate’s yachts, no?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Embarrassed post about men's shoes…’ is closed to new replies.