Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • ellsworth truth – opinions
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Any one owned one?? especially the older models 2002 etc.

Are they any good. what was the spec you were running.

Any massive issues with them in terms of cracking etc??

Brunk
    Free Member

Have had one for 5 years – 2001 frame and it's been great.
    Only issue with cracking was on the left seat stay. I put a new set of M4s on and it snapped on the first proper ride. This was an issue with the early frames and has since been sorted. I bought mine second hand and couldn't get them replaced under warranty – hence painful pay out! (some of you may remember me moaning about it on the old forum)

If the stays have a triangular cross section then check the gusset leading up from the IS mount towards the seat. If it's big then you're OK, if its around a cm or two (like mine) then it's likely to be original but may crack/snap completely under heavy braking with bigger brakes/rotors.

This has been the only real niggle I've had with the Truth. Had to change all the pivot bearings eventually and the main pivot bolt is a bitch to remove but I've had it for ages and thoroughly abused it. Moved to a 6 incher and am scraping up funds to rebuild it/replace all the knackered bits hanging off it.

There's a frame going for 350 on Bikemagic – looks like an early one with the fancy BB stuff but with dreaded triangular stays.

njee20
    Free Member

Seat tubes often cracked as well, they were very very thin walled.

They were heavily over priced when they were new, I wouldn't even consider buying a 7 year old one, sooner have a modern Stumpjumper or something, it'll pedal much better with a modern shock.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Good advice there chaps

any one owned a pre -2000 model, ones with bushings.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ellsworth truth – opinions’ is closed to new replies.