• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Eliminating Brake Judder
  • Tim
    Free Member

Hey all

Been suffering from annoying, and getting to the point of dangerous, brake judder on my crosser.

Grab a handful of front brake and what power you get from the tektro frogleg brakes is wasted by horrid judder – you can actively see the fork flexing quite a lot! I cant really remember it being like this from new, so i presume it has developed as the pads have worn

Tried it with the straddle low, the straddle high, adjusted the toe-in – most things really. It could well be the forks, but i’d rather NOT spend money on forks if i dont have to 🙂

Any tips?

Thanks!

Tim

Joe

Change the pads, this has to be your first port of call. If that fails change the canti. If that fails the fork. Sorry.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Had the same problem with some Magura Julies-every time the pads heated up when they were worn-switched to more continuous edge discs ie no wavy rotor or V* cutout and hey presto no vibrations.

colnagokid

Had the same bother, not frog-legs, shimano cantis. I changed the headset-a cheap and nasty one- as the cups were flexing under braking! It was nearly unridable, put a richey WCS one in problem solved!
    Try the pads too
    It’s a Focus CX bike

JoB
    Free Member

if your forks have a hole for a fork-mounted cable-stop then put one of them on

Gary_M
    Free Member

As Jo suggested – ended brake judder for me.

Tim
    Free Member

ah ok cool, i’ll try the pads and it has a hole so i’ll try one of the hangers too.

Thanks!

epicyclo

If you have had it for a while, another consideration is that the brake posts may be worn.

jim1970

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but brake judder has blighted me recently.

I've tried to find a fork mounted cable hanger as shown by JoB above but I can only find them in stock in the USA and they don't want to ship them to the UK. I came up blank on Ebay and general Google searching as well.

Does anyone know where I can get one? Am I just really crap at searching?

Thanks,

Jim.

iainc
    marka.
    Free Member

You can get one from Spa Cycles.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I think I've got one. Drop me a line (email in profile) and I'll have a nose around for it.

jim1970

Thanks for the info folks. Going to order one from Spa cycles – only 6.50 inc pandp.

Thanks for the offer bikewhisperer. Hang on to it for for some other deserving soul who suffers the dreaded judder.

Jim.

IHN

Any decent LBS will sell one

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Eliminating Brake Judder’ is closed to new replies.