• This topic has 133 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)
  • Electronic Gear shifting Yay or Nay?
  • Shorty121
    Free Member

Noticed in the recent What Mountain bike that elctronic shifting is big but do you like it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having ridden quite a lot of Di2, I say, without reservation – YES!

jonb
    Free Member

Don’t like the price

Shorty121
    Free Member

I would hate to have all the elctronic gizmos kinda takes the fun out of a simple bike that works

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Solution in search of a problem/ Pointless

schmiken

Love Di2, hate the price!

pinches
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Having ridden quite a lot of Di2, I say, without reservation – YES!

+1 with the man from pimlico.

ojom
    Free Member

Solution in search of a problem/ Pointless

you need to try it. then you’ll see.

j_me
    Free Member

Does it come with electronic pedaling ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

you need to try it. then you’ll see.

+ 1 for thebikechain!

Pimlico’s a fine place, you know, Pinches! Not like the slums of Fulham! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

j_me – Member
    Does it come with electronic pedaling ?

Nah, but I know a few bikes which do…! 😉

jimmy

Is it really that much effort to push a lever with your thumb?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

simplify and add lightness

KISS

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, Jimmy, et al – Ride Di2, then tell us that! It is, I have to say, truly impressive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, Jimmy, et al – Ride Di2, then tell us that! It is, I have to say, truly impressive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Great on a test ride I bet.

Long term?…

rs
    Free Member

Would prefer hydraulic shifting

Shorty121
    Free Member

I love fettling with my bike so it would take the fun out of that

luked2
    Free Member

Are Surly coming out with a single speed version?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – I have no desire to – I believe in

KISS

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yes if they make it wireless and a whole lot cheaper.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pimlico’s a fine place, you know, Pinches! Not like the slums of Fulham!

Pimlico’s a boring, noisy congested area, with a slightly rough housing estate in the middle of it, and not all that many good pubs, tbh. One or two maybe. It’s just expensive ‘cos it’s close to Buck Palace and Westminster. There are bits of Fulham what make Pimlico look crap. And Fulham’s no magical place, either. Pimlico has bugger all soul or local vibe; it’s a place where frightened people shut themselves away in their town apartments, then bugger off for the weekends. Rich pickings if you’re a burglar, mind…

radoggair
    Free Member

looking forward to it. Never tried Di2 but if price was right i’d have it. Its just bikes moving on.
    People prob thought that mtb’s were sorted in the 80’s then suspension, dont need it but most of us have it now, same as tyre technology, carbon frames etc. Move with the time, accpet it, dont deny it

Thats a yay by the way

Marge
    Free Member

Some of the elite cyclocrossers are now using Di2 over here in Belgium & are very happy with it. The mud (& believe me we had some shocking mud last week) has not been a problem.

phiiiiil

KISS

How’s the unicycling coming on?

ojom
    Free Member

Tj- it is simple. That’s the beauty of it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phill – I have not been riding it recently 🙂 I broke it doing jumps

TBC – It is not simple. It requires a source of electricity, a device to turn electricity into movement, a cpu etc.

ojom
    Free Member

Ok well we look fwd to seeing you tomorrow on your rigid ss with cantis then aye?

james-o
    Free Member

DI2 is wonderful to use, really smooth and simple, but i’m with TJ and others that think that it’s a bit OTT. i can’t get excited about it personally, but i can see why some people love it.

i’d rather have the minimum complexity necessary to do the job than the maximum, that’s all.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If dynamos were more common, it would make more sense.
    I’m sure it can shift better than a human though.

organic355
    Free Member

Doesnt make the bike a very sustainable form of transport does it if you have to recharge the battery all the time?

I know it will be small but there will be some carbon emissions associated with charging the unit and that goes against one of the main reasons I ride a bike.

I do recharge my lights though, but not all year.

ahwiles
    Free Member

someone let me know when it’s:

a) no more expensive than cable shifting.

and

b) more reliable than cable shifting.

and

c) easier to work on than cable shifting

and

d) no heavier than cable shifting.

then i’ll let you know if i’m interested.

i had a quick play with it in an LBS – it seemed to work well, but then i saw the price!

i love technology and innovation, i embrace it when i see that it offers something better.

the biggest problem i have with gears is how quickly grit/water/whatever in the cable throws the indexing out. it’s depressing to think that my gears won’t work properly until May, anything that does without cables is worth trying (i’ll let other people try it till the price comes down a wee bit)

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its alot better than Shimano Airlines, I’d like to see what bikes come with it as standard in 5-10 years time. I personally can’t see any more downsides than cables. People are scared of change.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It’s superb. All bikes in the future will have it.

retro83
    Free Member

organic355 – Member

Doesnt make the bike a very sustainable form of transport does it if you have to recharge the battery all the time?

I know it will be small but there will be some carbon emissions associated with charging the unit and that goes against one of the main reasons I ride a bike.

I do recharge my lights though, but not all year.

does it make much difference if the energy to move the dérailleur comes from your body or a battery? Especially since food production on the whole seems to be pretty inefficient.

I’m impressed by the auto-trim front dérailleur and smooth shifting on the rear. Price is a shocker tho! 😯

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Ahwiles. If your gets won’t work properly all winter there is something wrong with how you set them up.
    Oh and electronic for the win!! it makes more sense when racing flat out. But its fantastic

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can get them to work for 2 or 3 rides… After that the release/down shift become increasingly sticky until it’s new cable time again.

why don’t shimano/Sram make derailleurs with man-sized springs in them?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

It’s superb. All bikes in the future will have it.

Not a chance. Its too complex and expensive.

the future is hub gears / gearboxes

crazy-legs

It’s like recharging a mobile phone, except the battery lasts 4 months so not exactly a huge drain on your electricity bill!

More reliable than cable shifting because it’s completely sealed (newer road frames come specifically designed for it with internal cable routing. The mechs are self adjusting so even if you knock one out of line it’ll re-adjust it’s shifting so it still works, no mechanical mech does that!

It’s only marginally heavier than mechanical shifting and should be more reliable throughout – no moving parts in the levers to break.

Cost is certainly an issue but then trickle down technology is always like that in any industry.

As SpokesCycles says, it’ll be commonplace in 5 years time. Di2 is fantastic to use, great bit of kit.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Electricity beats springs and cogs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Electronic Gear shifting Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.