Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Edinburgh trams victim no. 1
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Guy at school managed to be taken off his bike by the tram rails on Princes st. Apparently the gap is just wide enough to fit a commuter bike tyre in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crossing rails at correct angle fail….

matthew_h
    Free Member

Coffeeking is correct.

robgarrioch

I wonder if that was in the design brief (the 'not-causing-of-accidents' that is), considering most cycles will be following the direction of the tram-lines along the road

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect the tram routes are probably no-cycling areas, as I can't see any way of running tram lines without making them bike-lethal.

phlemo

Not that I am aware. Princes Street will be shared space with one stop at the bottom of the Mound in the centre of the road……….

Saw another bloke come a cropper this morning too. Buckled his front wheel trying to turn out or the rail and fell off. Luckily no buses behind him.

Think this might become a regular problem.

porterclough
    Free Member

Mountain bike tyres are the answer…

Highway code: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069864

All road users, but particularly cyclists and motorcyclists, should take extra care when driving or riding close to or crossing the tracks, especially if the rails are wet. You should take particular care when crossing the rails at shallow angles, on bends and at junctions. It is safest to cross the tracks directly at right angles. Other road users should be aware that cyclists and motorcyclists may need more space to cross the tracks safely.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I suspect if it becomes THAT much of a thing there will be great uproar. However I'm not sure how this hasn't been a problem in the other cities with trams if they dont split traffic.

skidartist
    Free Member

I'm amazed the entire cycling population of Amsterdam isn't dead by now. (although I haven't been for a few years, maybe they are dead)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Nice fat comfortable tram-resistant tyres are the way forward.

phlemo

Assume this will not be so much of a problem when the trams are actually running as I'm not sure we want to share roadspace.

Anyway, tips from Nottingham traams website;

Some tips for cyclists near tram tracks:

* Only cycle alongside and cross the tracks if it is absolutely necessary
    * Use designated cycle lanes, parallel routes and designated crossing points where available
    * If you do cycle along the tram route, do not cycle on the rails – take care and if it becomes necessary to cross – e.g. on the approach to tram stops – do not cross at a fine angle
    * Always cross tracks as close to 90 degrees as possible
    * Prepare to cross the tracks well in advance
    * Check behind early enough to concentrate solely on crossing the tracks and ensure the manoeuvre is not rushed
    * Make other road users aware of your intentions through appropriate hand signals
    * Dismount and cross on foot if necessary

Doesn't say what to do when swerving to avoid an errant bus………..

porterclough
    Free Member

> I'm not sure how this hasn't been a problem in the other cities with trams

I've managed to cycle down (and turn right off) West St in Sheffield without dying once.

Those Nottingham instructions sound dangerous to me:

> * If you do cycle along the tram route, do not cycle on the rails – take care and if it becomes necessary to cross – e.g. on the approach to tram stops – do not cross at a fine angle

That seems to imply you'd be cycling along on the left gutter of a road with tram tracks — that is insane, you would not fit between a tram and the stop unless you are less than 10mm in width. In fact being overtaken by a tram at all, even well away from a stop, would be lethal. I always ride between the rails, taking up the lane. Then again there's only a short section I ever ride on, turn off onto a parallel road as soon as possible.

Sounds like Princes St in Edinburgh will be similar to West St in Sheffield (that's never been said before).

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i would NEVER come out of Manchester Piccadily on a bike as a slightly drunk student and ride straight in to the tram tracks doing a forward flip in front of an old lady and smashing my shiny new lights up as a result

never

that'd be stupid

you only do it once

skidartist
    Free Member

i would NEVER come out of Manchester Piccadily on a bike as a slightly drunk student and ride straight in to the tram tracks doing a forward flip in front of an old lady and smashing my shiny new lights up as a result

In front of an Old Lady? Manners man! Didn't you know it was her turn?

druidh
    Free Member

The tram lines are in the middle of Princes St. The answer is obviously to stay to the pavement side of the road unless crossing them, in which case a proper turn across them will work just fine, just don't drift over them. Frankly, I'm amazed that they bothered to lay cobbles alongside some of them, but maybe if they did that for the full length it would be an "early warning" system for cyclists?

I'm still amazed that anyone would be caught out by them. You'd have to be cycling along with your eyes closed not to see them.

Olly
    Free Member

I wonder if that was in the design brief (the 'not-causing-of-accidents' that is), considering most cycles will be following the direction of the tram-lines along the road

i agree, it would be much safer to orientate the tracks perpendicular to the direction of travel.
    i guess that would mean trams would only be any use for crossing the street, but at least noob cyclists wouldnt get pwned…..

😉

i got caught out in my car by the ones in notts once, realised i wasnt supposed to be where i was, and a tram was looming down, so put my foot down to get out the way and got nothing, lots of noise from the engine, wheels going round very fast, sub total of zero (no) movement at all.

Lols! amused the tram driver less than it did me mefinks

Kit
    Free Member

You'd be f**king nuts to cycle down Princes' Street anyway when the trams are running, given that the Cooncil/LRT aren't planning to cut many of the bus services. Trying to share space with a street rammed with double deckers AND trams? Er, I'll take my chances on George Street instead…

And I'll be wearing my helmet too 😉

mAx_hEadSet

Maybe there would be a market to set up shop selling tram track freindly bikes?

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – good call. The Bike Chain are now Surly dealers……

Kit
    Free Member

And if you take the tyres off, you can ride the rails with the rims 8)

druidh
    Free Member

Well – not your rim eh?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh trams victim no. 1’ is closed to new replies.