Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Edinburgh Cyclist Dies
  • tails
    Free Member

I crashed into a parked car once bloody well hurt! I hope that there was not a HGV involved who then drove off. RIP Mr Cyclist!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

bloody hell!

thoughts to the family and friends 😥

bigjim

Yeah very sad, felt bad for them having hit a parked car at speed myself. Sounds like another vehicle might have been involved though, and it is a very fast bit of road.

cupra
    Free Member

A man has been detained in relation to this and police are looking for an artic flatbed in connection with this.

stevenc
    Free Member

Very sad to see this happen.

bigjim

I remembered when I was cycling home tonight that it was pretty windy this morning and I was being blown around the road on the way in, maybe that was a factor, who knows, stay safe kids!

DrT
    Free Member

Very sad news 🙁 This is on my commute too and this has shaken me a bit. It is a fast piece of road as its dual carriageway (although with a 30 limit), he was heading downhill so would have hit a parked car at a fair speed.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends. A very sad day.

druidh
    Free Member

That was my commute too (it’s a 40mph limit btw). Funny how it hits harder when it’s a road you’re very familiar with. I can’t say I’ve ever had any near misses or seen any particularly bad driving on that section, but it only takes one…

Northwind

DrT – Member

(although with a 30 limit)

40 most of the way down and definately at that bit.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

you can do 30+ quite easily down there with the wind behind.. nasty

MarkN
    Free Member

Sad news indeed. What a lousy start to 2012 for those involved. Condolences to friends and family.

bigjim

They’ve detained a driver in relation to it.

br
    Free Member

but no TJ yet…

ojom
    Free Member

It is a road i ride over when commuting off road and is fairly pacey but wide and pretty much clear.

Might switch to off road commuting seeing as i have the option.

davidrussell
    Free Member

but no TJ yet…

I think he’s probably detained at His Markesty’s Pleasure as a result of Abbotsgate.

Sad news though, RIP

bigjim

Its given me the willies a bit too, I didn’t commute by bike for about a year after I hit a car at speed and now I tend to go through the meadows rather than down lothian road, all of which makes me a bit of a wuss I guess, but it doesn’t seem worth the risk any more and I’m just too tired of it to be all shouty like that london gaz guy when things do get sketchy. I am kind of amazed that there aren’t more accidents when you see what goes on on the roads in rush hour.

ojom
    Free Member

It makes it more poignant as the roads are soo quiet at this time of year, commuting has been easy, fast and more fun.

Take away this stupid rush hour mentality for people and i reckon things would be acer.

bigjim

The difference between rush hour in school term and out of school term is amazing mark – as you say this week its like ghost town. I’m not sure why, is it really just parents driving their kids to school that causes the extra jam?

br
    Free Member

I’m not sure why, is it really just parents driving their kids to school that causes the extra jam?

No, its the fact the more people are on holiday when the kids are on holiday – I take it you’ve not kids?

nikk
    Free Member

Deeply saddened, read that post from his friend MAC in above link.

I know this road very well, as it is one I have cycled regularly on my way too and from Juniper Green. I usually get onto it from the canal path via the Kincroft Side path / footbrige, so I can cycle up the hill and avoid the usually muddy Water Of Leith section of footpath.

Coming down the hill, it is a very fast bit of road for a bike, anyone could easily go full speed. It is a dual carriageway for that section, but there are a lot of parked cars that make it a single off and on.

The very section that this happened on has struck me as potentially dangerous every time I go down it. The bike speed, plus the parked cars, general traffic speed on this usually free flowing section of road, does not give much room for error. There is also a rut that has formed between the two lanes of tarmac, that runs down that section of road. It has occurred to me that getting ones tyres caught in it could be bad. I only have a MTB so the rut is less of a worry, although I do avoid it and if I have to cross it, I do so at reduced speed, greater angle, and with a pull up on the front wheel.

You can see the road at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Lanark+Road+edinburgh&hl=en&ll=55.91854,-3.258766&spn=0.000725,0.001584&hnear=Lanark+Rd,+Edinburgh,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=h&z=20&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=55.918489,-3.258842&panoid=0WeV_QfGPJD3K9PEozZN6w&cbp=12,258.16,,0,31.78

Condolences to Andrew’s family and friends 🙁

bigjim

No, its the fact the more people are on holiday when the kids are on holiday – I take it you’ve not kids?

Ah yeah I guess that might be it, no I don’t have any, all the parents are back in in my office so didn’t think of that.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve hit the back of a car at about 20mph (don’t ask). Hurt like hell, burst my nose and I’m glad it was a saloon car and not a van – no need for another vehicle to be involved, on a downhill stretch I suspect it woudl be easy to reach fatal speeds. RIP mr cyclist.

AlasdairMc

Also on my commute – I was there about 15 minutes after it happened and the road was shut by that point.

Funny how it hits harder when it’s a road you’re very familiar with

this.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Quite shaken and thoughtful tonight, sped down that road on the mtb plenty times…
    My thoughts are with everyone affected by this sad start to a year.
    Peace.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bloke we used to ride with got “white-vanned” on his way down Kingsknowe, prob doing 30 odd (it pulled out without looking) he was ultimately OK IIRC but I never ride fast (well >20 odd) in traffic these days.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The very section that this happened on has struck me as potentially dangerous every time I go down it.

It’s always struck me as quite the opposite in fact – I’d have had that as one of the safest bits of road for cycling on between Balerno and the city centre, and I’ve never felt unsafe when cycling down there.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Cyclist Dies’ is closed to new replies.