Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Ebay/paypal dispute advice please
  • organic355
    Free Member

Just got a dispte on paypal/ebay that an item I sold was not as described.

The item was an audi phone cradle for a blackberry 9700, guy paid £79 for it (they are £100 new).

He is now saying that it was not as described and that it doesnt fit his car and that it is for dash mounting only, quite strange as it came out of a centre armrest of the car i just bought.

he is disputing the fact that i satated “This cradle is for centre armrest systems only”

Now do i fight this as i know the description is correct? (it was taken from an audi dealerships website shop on ebay. Or just suck it up and give a refund?

I know the buyer tried to sell it on and only got £25 for it and he is claiming he had to issue a refund for the same reason. (he did end the auction at miondnight on a friday though – Muppet).

So what should I do, I dont want to lose £80, and could probably ebay it again and not lose too much money.

khani
    Free Member

Close your bank account and hide under a rock, or just take it back
    eBay will find in his favour, cos eBay are ****s!!!

dooosuk
    Free Member

Get the item back then refund.

It’s the only way you’ll come out of it with anything.

organic355
    Free Member

Hi just to clarify this, he has opened up a Paypal dispute, not an ebay dispute if that bakes any difference?

Also if i refund do I have to pay postage and how do i guarantee I get the item back?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Only refund when the item has been received.

No difference with paypal/ebay dispute. He’ll get his money back and get to keep the item when he wins.

Tell him you’ll refund the full amount when you receive the item back. That should keep Paypal happy.

If you receive the item, claim you didn’t, ask him for proof of postage and relax if he can’t prove he posted it. If he can, issue the refund 🙂

Slogo
    Free Member

I hate people who do this!

Take all the money out of your paypal account, and remove the card from paypal.

Get him to send it back. When it ‘doesnt’ turn up at your addess you dont need to return the cash.

Its not your fault hes a stupid fool!

Pierre

As others have said, tell him if he returns the item to you in the same state you sold it to him, you’ll refund him in full. That’s the simplest solution and the one that will keep eBay / PayPal (same company) happy.

Of course, if he’s already sold it on, then he can’t do that and he’s just whingeing because he didn’t get the price he wanted. He’s chancing it and it should be pretty obvious to eBay / PayPal, if he won’t return the item to you.

Sometimes eBay works the way you want it to. I sold an old Apple laptop, it went for a price I was surprised and happy with and the buyer left me very positive feedback. A couple of weeks later she emailed me, saying that she’d tried to sell the laptop on and found out it wasn’t worth what she paid. She wanted me to take the laptop back and refund her money and threatened to open a dispute either saying it wasn’t as described or that it hadn’t arrived. I pointed out that she’d already left feedback and that that wouldn’t work, and I didn’t hear from her again…

Pierre

Take all the money out of your paypal account, and remove the card from paypal.

This will a) prevent you from ever using paypal again, and b) make you look more guilty. If paypal decide against you, you have to cough up. Your best option is to stick with it and keep giving them the facts, and be prepared to take the item back and give a full refund if it’s in the same condition you sold it in. If the buyer won’t agree to this, then PayPal are more likely to decide in your favour.

ski
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member

Get the item back then refund.

It’s the only way you’ll come out of it with anything.

This is worth a try, as the other option is to get screwed by eBay 😉

organic355
    Free Member

He also gave me positive feedback on ebay so that is in my defense.

So I should tell him to return the item then? who pays postage?

wwaswas

if he’s left positive feedback and the item is as described then I’d fight your corner.

get your evidence together of why you think you’re right and send it off.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – I’m afraid ebay are always on the buyers’ side these days. Full refund on receipt of the item is the only way, then leave him some truthful feedback (even if it is marked ‘positive’).

organic355
    Free Member

he is claiming that he took his car to an audi dealership and they told him its a dash mount model and is spouting model numbers to me.

what i dont get is that it came out of an arm rest in an audi A4, so how can it be a dash mount, unless my armrest was jerry rigged in some way?

Need to check model numbers but just tempted to ask him to return, cant be bothered with the hassle.

Pierre

If he’s given you positive feedback, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

He has to pay postage to return the item, you only refund (his original buying price and original postage charge) when you actually receive the item. I imagine if he’s already sold it on, he’ll drop it. He can’t claim to be unhappy with the item, but not so unhappy he wants to return it, if he’s already left positive feedback!

organic355
    Free Member

I think he sold the item, used my description for his listing and is claiming that he had to refund the person he sold it too as it was wrong for them too.

Just doesnt make sense, I need an audi/phone cradle expert to resolve, but really cant be arsed so will just ask him to return the item.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Just be reasonable. Explain that the item was as described and that he’s left you positive feedback but to help him out you’ll refund in full on receipt of the item.

I doubt you’ll ever see the item back but ebay/paypal will be able to see your messages in the dispute and hopefully then side with you.

hora
    Free Member

Just be reasonable

As a seller you’ll find a buyer can say/do anything just about on Ebay.

brassneck

As a seller you’ll find a buyer can say/do anything just about on Ebay

I had somebody ask me where the top was for a dishwasher that was sold pictured with no top, as a built under model and collected in person.
    Apparently even the words ‘there is no top panel’ in the description weren’t clear enough.

Didn’t go anywhere but it does give you a flavour of the mentatlity of some people.

Northwind

I’ve had a few claims against me, defended my corner (following the slightly byzantine rules) and have always won- lots of people say that paypal are biased to the buyer but I’ve never found that. Likewise, I’ve only ever had an open-and-shut win on a buyer claim when I was both in the right and supporting it well, every other one’s gone back and forth.

It does depend how well you can support your argument- do you have a pic of the cradle fitted to the centre armrest?

Rickos
    Free Member

I bought some forks that didn’t work (rebound non-existent and not holding air), but eBay still found in the sellers favour, so you may be fine anyway. My mistake was not fitting them for a couple of weeks and I’d also left feedback before fitting them.

organic355
    Free Member

I am now thinking I am gonna fight this.

This is the link to my ebay post:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190561907197#ht_500wt_1156

You will clearly see the photos (2nd pic) show the model number, and I state for armrests only.

I have since had it conformed by cardiff audi that the model with an “A” at the end is just an older model and the “J” supersedes it. They confirmed that the A model is for armrests only.

The buyer left me positive feedback, so what should I do? I think I have a good case, and it is his fault for not checking the model number?

What should I do about the email form Audi, should I forward to the buyer, or just copy the quotes and the (audi) email address into my reply to the buyer so that paypal and ebay can see it?

Cheers

organic355
    Free Member

anyone?, your opinion is valued!! 🙂

Liftman

Refund it and offer it to the second highest bidder as a second chance offer

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this is true but I thought once someone had left positive feedback it was difficult to open a dispute? Just to clarify is he opening the dispute within the time limit?

Personally I would either (a) tell him to send it back and you will issue a full refund. Surely he can’t do this as he has sold it on? Do y know if he sold it on ebay? is the seller from him complaining then?

Or (b) i’d be more inclined to fight it from everything you say. You lose what’s the worst that happens you have to refund it.

Buyer sounds like a right tool!! I’d fight it.

Jabba-The-Hut
    Free Member

Ebay and Paypal are a bunch of shysters. The easiest option is to stump up and then never use them to sell stuff again.

higgo
    Free Member

If you have confirmation from Audi that it’s an armrest mount you should fight the dispute.

colnagokid

As has been said before get him to return it (he can’t ‘cos he’s sold it) and refund him. That is what ebay/paypal will tell him to do anyway.
    You can appeal against what ebay/paypal decide in a dispute- its worth doing, I sold a frame, tosser who bought it claimed it wasn’t as advertised and wanted a discount- still wanted the frame tho’, opened a dispute when I refused. I had to refund him when I got the frame back, I then appealed – ebay were pretty helpful actually- and won. Got my frame, and the money it had sold for back.

organic355
    Free Member

I just escalated it to a claim, wish me luck!!!

This was my response:

The buyer has stated that the item was not as described. The item was described as “for centre armrest only” which to my knowledge it was (and is), as it was taken from an existing armrest in my AUDi A4.

The buyer is claiming that the product is not compatible with armrests and that he has been given information (by Audi) that the model number 8T0051435A (which I sold) is a dash-mounted cradle, and that 8T0051435J (which he has since bought) is for armrests.

I contacted Cardiff Audi (where the cradle I sold was originally purchased from new) and they told me the following (original emails can be supplied if requested):

“The 8T0 051 435 A is the old part number. That part number is no longer available and has been replaced by 8T0 051 435 J.

8T0 051 435 J will fit the same year cars as the 8T0 051 435 A. Both part numbers are for arm rest only mounting”.

From dflint.cardiffaudi.parts@live.co.uk

You will see from my original listing (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190561907197) that the photos clearly show the part number. At this time I was not aware that the part had been superseded, so could not state this in my listing. Saying that I do not feel that it is my responsibility to check that the parts being sold are compatible with the buyers car, this responsibility lies with the buyer. It is they, given all of the information they need from the description and the photos, that should check what they are buying is compatible with their vehicle.

The buyer also left me positive feedback, stating “pleasure to do business with”, and I also returned positive feedback to the buyer.

The buyer has since tried to sell on the item and only received a quarter of what he paid me for it. I feel this has provoked him to try and claim some of his money back from me some 2 weeks later.

You will see from my ebay feedback that I am an honest ebayer with 100% positive feedback and would not knowingly mis-describe an item.

Hoping for a positive outcome to this claim.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I use eBay and paypal quite a bit and have had some bad experiences with them, in your case I can really see you winning and making this guy look a total t**t.

higgo
    Free Member

Any update?

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t expect a quick response from Ebay, I emailed them on 28/08 with a problem and received their reply this morning. 🙄

dooosuk
    Free Member

You should of included the link to the auction of him selling it on in your response to the claim. He even sells it himself as armrest only so his reason for claiming from you doesn’t stack up.

My money’s on you winning.

organic355
    Free Member

no update yet.

You should of included the link to the auction of him selling it on in your response to the claim. He even sells it himself as armrest only so his reason for claiming from you doesn’t stack up.

Good idea, Can i add this information to my claim somehow?

The buyer emailed me this morning saying he was going to the post office, asking if he should return it to me, part of me wants to tell him too, then he wont have the cradle or the money, but want to be above board so he has no comeback

soops
    Free Member

Offer him a full refund on return of the item. If he has sold it on then started a claim, even paypal/ebay will see he is trying it on on the basis that ebay always wants people to try and sort it out before starting claims.

organic355
    Free Member

he sold it on and then had to refund who he sold it to as it wasnt compatible with their car either. Now he thinks he can do the same to me.

So should i get him to return it even though I reposnsed to paypal as above? I dont want it back i want the money (which paypal has put on hold).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I would fight the claim, tell him that’s what you are doing and to retain the item for the time being. IMO it sounds like you will clearly win, and it’s principle!!

sharkbait
    Free Member

looks completely clear cut to me. Model number is clear in the pictures and the description states it is for armrests only.
    Buyer is obviously a nob and deserves to lose the dispute – I can’t really see how he can justify the claim.

higgo
    Free Member

Fight him to the death.

organic355
    Free Member

in your Face!!!!!!

We have concluded our investigation and have decided in your favour. Any funds that may have been temporarily held have been returned to your account.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Ebay/paypal dispute advice please’ is closed to new replies.