Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • eBay Help: Hong Kong postage request from buyer with zero feedback score
  • CliveA

Morning all.

I'm spring-cleaning the bike shed and dusting off my seldom-used eBay account as a means of making some space on the spares corner.

I'm not a frequent eBayer, so I could use some advice on something.

I got a message from a buyer asking if I would post a frame to Hong Kong, with him meeting all expenses. This buyer has a zero feedback score, has made no other bids from their account and is currently the highest bidder.

When I listed the frame, I ticked the box for UK only, out of unfamiliarity with postage arrangements for overseas.

I'm not an eBay expert, but I know enough to know this could potentially be the start of something a little suspect, yeah?

So, do I:

– Politely say no, UK only?
    – Agree to take his money if all postage costs are settled in full through PayPal before the item is sent, and insist on trackable postage?
    – Happily agree to his business, and be less cynical?

All tips gratefully appreciated. I don't like being suspicious, but I'm not inclined to get ripped off either.

Item listing is here

momo

Personally I'd go with option 1 and politely decline his business.

walla24
    Free Member

chances are he might not win anyway, but i would say no.

johnnyc

Best to block bids from outside the UK if that's the only place you want to send to; even though it states UK only in your auction, a proper block seems to be the only way to stop unwanted bidders. Had the same problems you are encountering, this fixed it-

If you go to My eBay; account; site preferences; Buyer requirements (show, then edit); then tick 'Buyers in countries to which I don't post'. So, if you only offer postage to the UK in a particular auction, that should be the only region bids are accepted from. Some other useful buttons under Buyer Requirements if you wish to restrict things further.

Not sure if it'll work for active bids, so may be worth a polite message to the bidder stating that it's a uk only auction.

CliveA

Thanks for helpful suggestions all. I've taken the cautious option and declined his business.

JohnnyC – I've make that change you suggested. Thanks for the tip.

69er
    Free Member

2nd that, I had a winning bid from the US despite stating UK post only. It was not a good experience. In fact I'll just follow jonnyc's advice myself!

69er
    Free Member

FYI 'exisiting bids will not be affected', not that it affects you anyhoo CliveA

CliveA

Bloomin' eck. Now another Hong Kong buyer is asking if I'll allow him to bid as he wants the frame delivered to London.

It's never straightforward, is it?

johni
    Free Member

Watch out for people buying using Paypal, then claiming back via Paypal that they never received the goods or that they were not as stated. They have a habit of siding with the buyer rather than the seller.

CliveA

What's the best way to minimise that risk, Johni? Always deliver stuff signed for/recorded?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘eBay Help: Hong Kong postage request from buyer with zero feedback score’ is closed to new replies.