Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Easton Havoc wheelset
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Not read too much about these, but on paper they look very good.
    Ok, so not as blingy as CK/hadley?I9 and not as cheap as hope hoops BUT
    full UST; 1750g, designed for gravity (so strong), 23mm internal rim and handbuilt.
    Anyone have any experience of these wheels?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yes, and my advice would be to buy something else.

I had 2 sets, over a 6 month period. I was without wheels for a collective period of 15 weeks of that time due to warranty reasons. I finally got a refund last week.

Now to be fair, most of the problems I have read about Easton & wheels was aimed at the earlier Havens. I may just have been amazingly unlucky and got 2 duff sets. Seems unlikely, and regardless of that for the price they were, the quality if the wheelset or the service was not up to scratch.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks hob nob, was it the havens or the havocs you had?
    2010 or 2011?
    What went wrong with them?

firestarter
    Free Member

Had havocs but they felt horrible really heavy feeling and hard work which was odd as I replaced them with hope xc on xm321 (swapped wheels on my bikes over) which I would have thought felt worse and they were much better

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

2011 (both sets) and Havoc’s.

First set was hub issues. The preload collars never stayed in place (every similar issue to the early Havens?) ended up wrecking bearings and as a result the axle.

Second set came through, all ok initially, I still had some hub issues with the preloaders, but nowhere near as bad. The biggest issue was the crap build.

The rear wheel kept going out of true (bear in mind they were on a trail bike too, rather than a DH bike which is where they are aimed). This was down to an incorrect build – to cut a long story short, the disk side spokes were too long so you couldn’t tension the wheel evenly.

After going through a period of retrueing them after nearly every ride, they went back & I got a refund.

I built up a set of Flows on DT240’s instead. They were lighter, and haven’t even needed looking at since being built.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Looks like I’ll give the havocs a miss then. What did the DT/flow wheels set you back?
    Whats the weight of those?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They are ~1700g including my ghetto tubeless set up of electric tape & Mavic UST valves. (20mm front, 10mm rear, DT Rev’s spokes).

Probably not a fair price comparison as I bought the hubs second hand as part of a wheelset, split them, sold the rims, bought the Flow rims & DT spokes & built them up. All in they owe me ~£200.

Looking at doing an all new custom build for them they seem to come out at the wrong side of £600.

the_lecht_rocks

can you really beat the quality / price ratio of a pair of hopes hoops ?

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

2010+ Mavic Crossmax SX bud mines been abused and they still come back for more..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Easton Havoc wheelset’ is closed to new replies.