• This topic has 45 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Early trip to the Alps
  • jhw
    Free Member

Day 1

Day 2

I took the route to the right of the glacier, looking downhill. There also looks to be a great one to its left…

Day 3

Epic tree descent

Day 4

Day 5

Another epic tree descent

Day 6

This peak was my objective for the day – there is apparently a well-appointed bivacco on top, at 3,000m, and a great view/dawn ride down the following morning – but it was still snowy and there was a storm rolling in so I got off the mountain instead, heading back into town via a never-ending (brutal in places) traverse.

Thanks to Tom et al at Zero G and Phil at MBMB for making it happen; and also to various users of this site for ideas/inspiration!

Shandy
    Free Member

Looks brilliant. Where is day 2? Did you have a crack at Buet?

allthepies
    Free Member

Awesome!

jhw
    Free Member

Bionnassay – that was a very tough climb, and as difficult going down as up (got charged by a cow, too – had to flee into the foliage! Apparently you’re meant to shout at them, hit them with your pump, etc.; I’m not convinced…).

Buet was still very snowy so I gave climbing it a miss – Grenairon told me crampons were still needed for the ascent from Emosson/Cheval Blanc, although not from Pierre Berard.

Shandy
    Free Member

I thought it must be round that side. I’ve been looking at doing the TdMB this year and I’d like to explore round there and do some more around Anterne. I’ve done Buet on skis but I’ve no idea what it would be like in Summer, apart from being a very big push!

jhw
    Free Member

TMB is definitely high on my list too.

Only one way to find out about Buet! I’m sure someone on here will have ridden it before the summer is out. The Cicerone guide says the Col de Salenton part is rubbly, indistinct and snowy long into July/August. Beyond that I don’t know -but there was a lot of snow up there as of last Sunday.

How is the ladder descent down to Anterne – is it a piece of cake, or “scary”? The glacier descent above also has some very steep steps, with a cable. Hard work…

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Fantastic pictures, no doubt you had a great time. Phil is a top guy and knows the place extremely well. Can reccomend MBMB enough to people the TMB is a fantastic trip.

jhw
    Free Member

I think we need a separate thread called show me your TMB pictures!

jools182
    Free Member

looks amazing

where were you based?

was it all uplift?

I’ve found a link to MBMB but nothing for Zero G

jhw
    Free Member

I was based at MBMB; there was some but very limited uplift. The best stuff required pushing, sometimes a lot of pushing, all day on broken terrain – but worth it!

http://www.zerogchx.com/ (it’s the local shop – very good at impromptu spoke replacements and brake repair)

Cabri
    Free Member

Glad you had a great time jhw. You’ll find some info on the Buet below.

http://www.vttour.fr/sommets/le-buet,319.html?sorties. I have never done it from the Grenairon side but I’ve seen photos and would be fairly difficult with a bike.

You’ll have to do the Tour du Combin next, http://www.vttour.fr/sorties/grand-combin,467.html an alternative to the TMB.

One of my favourite ones is the Fenêtre du Durand, a bit further away from Chamonix http://www.alpavista.ch/Alp11/2010/09/05/fenetre-de-durand-2010/, now that is lovely, awesome views.

Cabri
    Free Member

Knew I’d seen it somewhere

http://blog-de-daniel-hem.over-blog.com/article-29808924.html

(for the equipped passage)

forgotmename
    Free Member

Looks fantastic, im off on thursday, staying with Phil but riding on my own(or with the lads on this months cover if im lucky) . The TDMB is the best bike ride ive ever been on,and Phil nows it better than most.
    Im probably not going to be able to sleep tonight after seeing your picture. Thanks.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Great stuff JHW

In there I can see
    Holy trail
    Servoz ridge
    Courmayeur from the testa bernada?
    Bissonay from Nid Aigle?

anything else?

jhw
    Free Member

That’s about it – some stuff below the treeline at the bottom and top ends of the valley too.

Some great ideas for when I head back, thanks!

I’d say the best day was over on the Italian side but that is one hell of a push up. Took 6 hours round trip, without stopping properly for lunch. You could do it in 8, have a leisurely lunch at Refuge Bertone and still get the 5pm bus back into Chamonix.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That looks amazing and far more interesting riding than the endless stream of dh style radical dude pictures one normally gets when an Alps thread pops up.

nickegg
    Free Member

Those are some truly inspirational shots! Perfectly sums up Alpine riding. To go to the Alps and only ride the man-made stuff seems crazy when you could ride the above!

Been to the Alps for the last two summers and have only ridden proper singletrack but this year we have 8 days in Eastern Switzerland followed by a week in the Tarentaise valley. I’ll give the man-made stuff a go, if we come across any decent looking bits. But, you can’t beat epic singletrack descents.

Shandy
    Free Member

JHW I’ve never done Anterne – always gone Holy Trail direction from the top of Brevent, or back round the front.

Could you give me a link to the bus timetable from Courmayeur?

EDIT – Used my initiative.

http://world.chamonix.com/PDF/courmayeurete.pdf

Any issues getting the bikes on?

If anybody is looking for a down day then there are some incredible baths at Pre St Didier. I am hoping to take the road bike over the cols and meet the missus for an afternoon at the spa.

http://termedipre.it/

jhw
    Free Member

Comes into effect next week http://world.chamonix.com/PDF/courmayeurete.pdf (all timetables at http://www.chamonet.com/maps-and-timetables/chamonix-valley-maps-and-timetables.htm)

Who says I don’t do “dh style radical dude” – check my spaceman outfit 🙂 :

Thanks for all the kind words!

edit – yes there were issues – you have to pay quite a lot extra – can’t remember exactly but it was about 35 euros all in, I think. It gets quite hairy if you have more than one bike – you basically have to pile them flat on each other in this trailer the bus tows, great recipe for scratches etc. If you can maybe bring some bungees and put your pads between them.

Gotta book in advance at the little hut outside Chamonix train station (they are not responsive to emails) and if you get back early, you have to go into the office to change your booking for the earlier bus – can’t just hop on.

Shandy
    Free Member

I bet they just shrugged and deleted your email 😆

It is good to know the option is there. I’m hoping to do a 2-day TMB but there aren’t that many multi-day breaks where I can get away, so I could get scuppered by the weather and have to break it up.

jhw
    Free Member

2 days – ambitious! but doable, look forward to the report

forgetmename, are you Gary? Phil mentioned this kind of thing was up your alley, shame our trips didn’t coincide. I’ll be out again in July.

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hi jhw, yes im Gary, i was seriously thinking of doing at least 1 wkend in july, what dates are you out there?

jhw
    Free Member

Cool! I’m riding July 17-30 inclusive. I’m in a group of 4 in the first week and some of them are fairly new to the sport so we may keep it relatively mellow that week (but it’s still Chamonix…).

The next week (from the 23rd) I’m going to do at least one more big route, either on the Flaine side, the Italian side or on the TMB with Phil (will decide nearer the time).

jhw
    Free Member

ooh, found one more

forgotmename
    Free Member

Ok il try for the 22nd for 3 days. Il let you know asap.

jhw
    Free Member

sweet, cya there if you make it – you know where to find me!

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Chamonix to Samoens/Sixt would be a good route to do. Only issue is getting back however. This goes over the col d’anterne. Easily do in a day.

jhw
    Free Member

Thanks – definitely on the list!

pickle
    Free Member

awesome pictures!! looks like you had the time of your life out there…….brings back lots of great memories of the times i’ve been! have to get back out there next year me thinks 😀

jedi

nice! im back out there in august.

jhw
    Free Member

Only issue is getting back however

Train from Cluses strikes me as the most likely way!

ChrisE
    Free Member

What’s it like doing it in the other direcion ie Morzine-Samoens-Fer.Sixt.Chav-Hutte Willis-Atterne-Plan Joux-Servoz. Will be riding it in Aug as part of a TransAlpGR5, and never been over there (just on a paraglider which was a bit easier!)

ta
    Chris

jhw
    Free Member

I don’t know, but should be alright providing you head down to Servoz and avoid trying to go up the backside of Brevent. I know it’s been done before on a bike (read about it somewhere). Lift out of Samoens takes you up to 1,600m, but I think this could be a little west of Alfred Wills/Anterne where you need to be.

But I’d start in Samoens not Morzine. That might be slightly too much for a day, depending. It could be alright but I’d take lights just to be sure.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Ace!

ChrisE
    Free Member

We’re starting at St Gingholph (Geneva) and riding to Nice, pretty much down the GR5, not just from Morzine!

C

jhw
    Free Member

sweet! I can’t remember where I read it, but I recall hearing it’s fun in that direction too (and plenty of places to crash on the way if it ends up getting dark on you)

forgotmename
    Free Member

jhw il see you at Phils, i just booked 21st-25th bonus long weekend, my wifes so understanding.

jhw
    Free Member

cool, going to be a big summer

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I’ve done the Cham to Samoens trip a few times – don’t think it’d be much good the other way round – but then we did get a lift up Brevent to kick start the day – no such luck the other way round… Antern to Servoz/St Gervais would be good – then tram it up to Cham at the end of the day…

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Chris E If you are doing the GR5 you wont be in Morzine? or are you doing a detour. Morzine to cham is a big day and is all about the lift timings. If you are going to do the GR5 then you will be missing out on any of the lift access. I have ridden to Chamonix from Morzine in a day but it was challenging and you need to be fit, and up for a good bit of hike a bike over the Anterne, then some more challenging riding terrain up to the brevent zoo ridge trail. more flowing riding would be to ride of the anterne to servoz/st gervais then take train up to les houches? but if your doing the complete route, then you want to do the complete route dont you! Just remember that it was designed as a walking route not biking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Early trip to the Alps’ is closed to new replies.