Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • e-petition – bicycles on footpaths :)
  • totalfusion
    Free Member

Set this up at the start of the week – not sure of most appropriate subject, but I think here is most relevant:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20609

Would not only open up miles of off-road access but would allow use of pavements in making safer cycling for children and commuting.

I’m sure there is support out there for this, but probably also quite a voice against this – but if the common sense of cyclists is trusted then there is no reason this should not work.

Any support would be very much appreciated.

GavinB

Erm, footpaths are entirely different to footways/pavements, if that was what you were thinking. (And its not illegal to ride on a pavement unless its considered dangerous to others)

Good luck though.

davesmate
    Free Member

Much as i don’t want to open a can of worms here I’m pretty sure you’ll find it is against the law to cycle on the pavement. As part of the road traffic act anyone seen by a police officer riding on the pavement could incur a £30 fixed penalty notice. like most offences under the road traffic act the police are allowed some discretion

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
    [Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

gwaelod
    Free Member

can’t ride on pavements round here cos of all the cars parked on them

next

Oxboy
    Free Member

done

GavinB

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Summary of the law as it relates to footways etc

So, technically, against the law, but note that guidance has been issued many years ago so that only someone seen to be riding dangerously or inconsiderately should be fined.

MrsToast
    Free Member

can’t ride on pavements round here cos of all the cars parked on them

Heh, around here you can’t cycle in the cycle lanes for the same reason…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

allow use of pavements in making safer cycling for children and commuting.

I’m not really sure this is a good idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘e-petition – bicycles on footpaths :)’ is closed to new replies.