Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • DX, Nukeproof or exposure diablo?
  • muggomagic

After a helmet mounted light to compliment my enduro maxx h/bar mounted light.
    A few mates have DX lights and when they're behind I can see next to **** all with just the enduro because of the shadow my fat arse casts with 900 lumens up it.

Borrowed a diablo from a LBS and was really impressed with it, but is it 4x better than the DX light? I assume the only benefits are no cables and the fact it's properly sealed and will outlast the DX because of it. Then I notice that CRC are selling the nukeproof 4 cell for £150.

What do you think? take a punt on the DX and if it breaks just buy another, or go for a quality light from the outset?

trail_rat
    Free Member

if you class reliable as 4 x better then yes ….

ive had too many folk drop out at the trail head of rides because their light has just failed – all using DX bastids

got 2 mates with nukeproofs on my recomendations and they love em and they work flawlessly

i use exposure stuff and they 2 work flawlessly – you might want to get a back up cell for the diablo though – batterys dont last too long

retro83
    Free Member

buy 4 dx lights for quad redundancy

cookeaa

buy 4 dx lights for quad redundancy

+1

timbur
    Free Member

Diablo. It's ace. Traffic really doesn't know what's hit it on my commute :O)

I_Ache
    Free Member

I prefer the old 2led hope than a dx. Even tho the dx has roughly 700 lumen's and the hope about 250 the way the light lies with the hope is much better. This should be factored into whether its 4x better too. Exposure stuff is good my toro has a P7 in (just like the dx) and has roughly the same battery life but the spread is so much better and the light penetrates further too. A lot of the extra money goes into researching better reflectors and lenses the dx lights just have really crappy reflectors and lenses.

BoardinBob

ive had too many folk drop out at the trail head of rides because their light has just failed – all using DX bastids

5 months use, 5 days a week

DX light still going strong

z1ppy

buy 2x DX if your really worried, still cheaper than a diablo…

Had a 10 normal DX torches (between m8's) without issue for 2 years, and two of us having been running bastid all winter without issue.
    Hope and Exposures are overpriced, simples.

trail_rat
    Free Member

forget it – just buy a candle ….

orange
    Free Member

yeah save your cash, use the force..

radoggair
    Free Member

it'll soon be summer so you wont ned lights. By next xmas, all DX lights will be 2000 lumens anyway for 50 quid

muggomagic

it'll soon be summer so you wont ned lights

It's still dark in summer at 11-12 at night when I stumble out of the pub on the way home from a night "ride"

The helmet mounted light will be there to compliment the enduro, the enduro is a good light, but is lacking slightly on the real quick tight wooded singletrack. The helmet light will be used probably 30-40 mins of a typical 2-3hr ride.
    I suppose I want to know whether the DX light will last more than a dozen rides (generally ride 2-3 times a week). If not then I may as well buy the nukeproof for £150. As if I've got to buy 2 DX lights at £65 then I'm not really making much of a saving.

I will look into candle lights. The hot wax will come in handy for the dogging spots.

fastindian
    Free Member

I run a P7 DX torch on my lid, this is the second winter of regular use and it's never failed me, I've even dropped it a few times and 4 £50 for battery, charger and light u cant go wrong! there also quite floody so if your other light has a tight beam a torch would compliment it well.

Northwind

The Diablo is a pretty terrible choice- all it is, is a very expensive P7 torch with a nice mounting. Except that as the battery can't be removed, it's a very expensive torch with less functionality than a very cheap torch. Oh, and it's phsically bulkier, and only fractionally lighter than my P7 torches. The only significant plus it has is that the 3hr burn setting is better than the medium setting on my P7s. But then it needs to be as the full power is uselessly short for any decent ride.

No opinion here on the Nukeproof though, I'd like to see one in action. Also I'd maybe add Luu to your list. And whatever Troutlight is in budget.

I've used 2 DX P7 torches for about a year now, one with an external battery pack. Mates have 3 Bastids between them. I've had a very minor issue with one torch where the switch vibrated loose, just needed to be tightened back up, other than that flawless- and extremely durable. So I'd recommend that tbh. None of the Bastids have had any issues but I think I basically trust them less and I don't like the chargers much (my P7 chargers can run off an old Nokia wall wart). Fitting is easy, performance is great.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

My trout wipes the floor with every current hope and exposure product, so I'd have one on your list.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘DX, Nukeproof or exposure diablo?’ is closed to new replies.