Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Dunwich Dynamo
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Any takers this year? If so, say “hello” to the skinny bloke on a Pompino.

spursn17
    Free Member

Was going to do it, just discussing whether its going to be a wet one or not.

Any weather experts out there?

DavidB
    Free Member

BBC site says it should stop raining later in the day

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hoojum
    Free Member

I’ll be there. Say hello to the rear of the pantomime horse (Tandam).

The weather man says a shower early in the evening, then clear but a good tail wind all the way.

qwerty
    Free Member

My mate is, he’ll be the redneck on a Shorter fixie with some posh bloke on a Ti framed piece of bling, both accompanied by some wierdo with some monster facial hair in fancy dress on a full on custom work of art fixie

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i’ll be there.

Say hello to the tall hairy bloke on an old red Cannondale.

Just getting the route sorted in the GPS now.

crazy-legs

I’m going up there to wave off some friends. Did it last year (and about 8 times before that as well) so not bothered about missing out this year.

ratcatcher

Keeping an eye on the weather so should be there, ( black planetX)

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

First timer here who’s going regardless or rain (after foolishly telling colleagues I was planning on doing it.) Absolutely lashing it down in NW1, not sure if I trust Metcheck anymore so does anyone know if it’s moving east or west…?!

whippersnapper
    Free Member

from west to east I think so at least the wind is in the right direction 🙂

tobymc

Dont mind the rain as long as its coming from the west! say hi to bearded fellow on a startlingly clean roadrat.

nedrapier

Fancy doing this, but not with everyone else. Call me anti social!

Might pick a sunny weekend later in the year.

damitamit
    Free Member

i’ll be there

DavidB
    Free Member

Flippin heck that was the best event I’ve ever done! Bloody loved the vibe, route and hooning through empty villages in the dark. Report and pictures to follow when I can walk again again 142 miles on the singlespeed.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I concur. It really was fun. My first ton too 😀

now beer time

(oh, and if I have any decent photos too, by my standard, I’ll pop them up)

MrSparkle

This really does sound like an excellent event. I love reading people’s accounts of doing it.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Absolute epic, and I can’t believe the weather was so perfect! Well run and a great crowd.

Anyone know if the unlucky crash at 15miles was ok? Looked pretty nasty.

crazy-legs

Anyone know if the unlucky crash at 15miles was ok? Looked pretty nasty.

The unlucky crash was my friend Sarah who clipped a pothole. From what she said a rider in front of her hit it and his rear light bounced off – he pulled into the side and stopped to retrieve it and everyone else moved to avoid the light, she just clipped the edge of the hole and went down, breaking her collarbone in the process. 🙁

Gutted for her, she’s only just got back to fitness after a previous injury, she was really looking forward to the ride.

damitamit
    Free Member

4th time I’ve done it and it was as good as usual (thou definitely better than the time it rained for 8 hours straight). 2 of us went together which resulted in a faff-free ride all the way to Dunwich. Weather held out all night, no rain. The house in the last 30 miles selling bacon butties and with a chill out tent was awesome, a real godsend! 170 miles in total with 10 mins sleep (on a grass verge on the way to Ipswich station on sunday morning).

I was wearing a Gregarios (www.gregarios.co.uk) club jersey, if anyone saw me.

As this is STW, here is the steed that got me there.

DavidB
    Free Member

The house in the last 30 miles selling bacon butties and with a chill out tent was awesome

+one million

Somehow I rode past the mid-point feed station missing it completely? The guys there were great and had a toilet stocked with Singletrack mags apparently.

I joined a group with two Italians for a while. Quite enjoyed them pointing and giggling a lot at my Pompino.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

I also did the ride & missed the feed station (never saw owt)

Longest time I’ve spent on a bike .. I hit the sea at 4:15am. No big problems except one puncture (despite me fitting new tyres for the event to prevent such an occurrence) and a semi-cramped up calf for 50 miles

miketually
    Free Member

A friend did this, but decided to ride from Cambridge to the start and back to Cambridge afterwards too, the nutter.

thomthumb
    Free Member

thanks dave, nice account.

makes me even more upset that once again thing have transpired and i have not made it. next year. next year.

MrSparkle

DaveB – thanks for that.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

nice write up DavidB.

We were lucky in that we saw none of the ‘Walthamstow abuse” you encountered. In fact everyone seemed really positive towards all riders, the Essex boys egging us from their Corsas (I think it was positve), the families in their gardens shouting encouragement, and the lone old man somewhere in Suffolk ringing the final lap bell as each rider passed. The only abuse I got was a dive bombing bat that skimmed my hat.

You got to Dunwich very early. I got there about 6.30am and the stream of riders coming in was constant whilst I was there until about 8ish.

DavidB
    Free Member

whippersnapper: Agreed it was mostly positive. The drink incident made my blood boil though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Excellent write up. Almost makes me want to do it.

Only almost.

You did 142 miles on a fixie? 😯 You’re a mental! I imagine people cross the street when they see you, mothers hurriedly grab their children and rag them inside, grown men bristle and ready themselves for possible action….

Hope the lady who had the accident gets well soon.

DavidB
    Free Member

Elfin, I was weak. Some of the fixie riders turned round and rode home, most of them “hydrated” properly at the pub before leaving.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

wonderfull read DaveB, real nice. plans to do it this year fell by the way side blah blah blah personal reasons blah blah……….but defo next year, and fixed too. 😀

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Dunwich Dynamo’ is closed to new replies.