Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dumb question- how do you use a chain checker?
  • FOG

Just got one from CRC as in other post but I want to make sure I am using it properly.
    1 what part of chain should you measure, top run, bottom, slack, does it make a difference?
    2 Should the .75 prong go over roller at all if chain ok?
    3 Do you need to keep tool parallel with chain?
    sorry for dumb questions but I don’t want to ditch decent chain due to my incompetence!

Taff
    Free Member

CLICKY

Is this yours?

FOG

No but v.v. similar. Thanks very much for that clip which shows exactly what I needed. Unfortunately it has confirmed the chain, as i suspected is f******

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wrote an article on chain maintenance that you might find useful?

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/chain-maintenance.htm

wwaswas

If the chain is really worn I’d be looking at a new cassette and a very careful check of the chainrings (particularly the middle one).

FOG

Thanks for sound advice.How much difference is there between cassettes apart from weight obviously. Will a £30 block work as well as a £50 one but just weigh more?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Pretty much 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

I had a deore cassette ad found it shifted as well as my XT, marginal weight difference in the grand schemes. Would pay a bit more money for a better quality middle ring if that’s nailed which it may well be.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dumb question- how do you use a chain checker?’ is closed to new replies.