Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • DT Swiss thru bolt
  • moment
    Free Member

Hi, I have a RWS DT Swiss 10mm thru bolt with sheared splines in the handle.
    Ye, another one, and the suppliers don't sell a replacement. Surprise suprise.

Does any one remember the thread about replacing the handle with one commonly used on manufacturing equipment for a few quid.
    Or know which handle it is that replaces the original?

Cheers

bol

I read that Superstar make a replacement 10mm qr skewer now, so you can swap out the whole thing for a few quid. Can't help re repairs though.

moment
    Free Member

Thanks for that m8.
    Superstar are sold out 🙁

foxyrider
    Free Member

Right – Been there, done it and got the T-Shirt.

FIX:

Remove the button push bolt and spring and remove the handle. I presume you can remove the axle?

You need to scrape the remain teeth off the inside of the handle so it sits flush onto the end of the axle. Then drill a small hole through the re-assembled thru-bolt and then put a slender bolt through the handle/axle hole to fix it and put a nut on the end – I painted over it with car body lacquer touch up to seal it and stop it going rusty – I did that 7 months ago and all is well. Obviously you have to adjust the bite position of the handle as you can't re-adjust obviously.

If you don;t want to do that just use the thru-bolt part and file flat ends on it (so you can use a spanner to hold it) after you have taken the handle off and use a nut on the other end and hey presto you have a bolt-up axle.

Bar that just get a cheap bolt up axle 🙂

moment
    Free Member

Nice fix m8.
    Cheers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

A drill press would be ideal for the handle as drilling though the plastic and metal is a little tricky to keep inline so thats the carefull bit 🙂 Intrestingly my front one is fine 🙂 learned not to over tighten I guess 😉

moment
    Free Member

Anyone remember what handle fits the splines??????????

Mounty_73

Specialized make one, but mine was a 9mm as I had the same problem with the DT swiss.

DT swiss didn't offer parts, but they kindly offered me a replacement for 50 quid! 🙁

I also kinda remember something on chain reaction, NC-17 or something ???

Simwit

The handles you want are sold by ondrives, these should do you I think although there are various others on their site.

http://www.ondrives.com/mechanical-levers-handles-plastic-female.html

moment
    Free Member

Looks like I should find one on that site.

Many thanks Simwit.

househusband

Only thing that concerns me about them is the brass threaded boss – would otherwise try one myself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss thru bolt’ is closed to new replies.