Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DT Swiss M1700 Spline 30 29er Wheelset
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Anyone got these and care to comment? I’ve been offered a lightly used set with upgraded 36 ratchet and they look decent enough. 350 hubs on…… ? 30mm internal rims. My only thought is they may be not quite strong enough…

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/wheels-mtb/all-mountain/m-1700-spline/m-1700-spline-30/

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

NE 1?

mmannerr

Surely it is in the the spirit of STW to comment if have only vaguely similar wheelset? 🙂
    I have M1700 wheels but they are 27.5” with 35mm ID rims. Trouble free so far but I have had them only since July.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers. Are you smashing them around or xc bimbling? I want to use them for my trail bike with occasional enduroness or whatever that means 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

Are they are xm481 rims?

If so, they are pretty tough and would be great for a trail bike.

My only thought is they may be not quite strong enough…

Strong enough for what?

mmannerr

I don’t know what my riding should be called but I’m fairly heavy guy (~90kg) on a 160/140 bike riding whatever I can. They can handle that.

hatter

The 30 mm wide M 1700’s use the M 502 rims, which are eyeletted and don’t use the funky nipple and washer arrangement the higher end DT Rims (EX 471, XM 481 etc) do.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Is that a good thing? I guess my only thought is they are a half way house. Not quite strong enough, not quite light enough.

I was planning on perhaps getting two sets of wheels, a Chinese carbon pair for trail and a tougher pair for enduro riding , flow type rims. These seem to sit in the middle between the two. Which could be good or bad.

kimbers

a Chinese carbon pair for trail and a tougher pair for enduro riding , flow type rims

just use one of them for both, its what I do!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Which one kimbers ? 😀

Cheers mmannerr

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

if you are considering buying 2 weelsets at £XXX why not just opt for 1 set at the combined price? Should give you a really nice set of do anything wheels then?

kimbers

Im on lb carbons, very happy

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Not sure i want to use carbon for uplifts jumping and enduro racing. But they would be nice for all day rides bimbling in the mountains.

Would also have different tyres prob

chakaping
    Free Member

For enduro riding, I’d go for the EX511 rim on your choice of hub.

But if the M1700s are a good price it can be really useful to have two sets of wheels/tyres IME.

eg. I put my burlier rear wheel in yesterday to ride in the Lakes ‘cos I knew we’d be doing some fast rocky descents.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Price is 350 quid second hand with upgraded ratchet and SD driver. They are like new.
    Whaddayayreckon?

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually, paying more attention to Hatter’s post above – the rims weigh in at 570g each – so you could probably do better for a trail wheelset.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pair of 650b are listed at 1822gms.

hatter

Considering that DT are generally pretty honest with thier weights and that SC reserve carbons in 30 mm wide 29″ are 1831 grams… it sounds like a pretty solid purchase for the money IMHO.

If you are a bit of a monster and manage to kill a rim, the DT enduro rated rims such as the E 532 and EX 511 use the same 601 mm ERD so it’d be easy to put a beefier rim on down the line without changing the spokes.

Grump
    Free Member

I ride 650b not 29″, but otherwise have the same wheelset and they’ve lasted pretty well since I got them on my Edit in mid June. That’s over 160,000m descent in the Alps and Canada mostly off of the lifts and a few Enduros thrown in for good measure. So far the damage is a bit of a wobble and a few snapped spokes in the rear wheel and not even the need to true the front. I generally run 2.3~2.5 dual ply tyres and a pro core in the rear so there’s a fair bit of protection, and at 69kg I’m not exactly a clydesdale, but I move at a reasonable pace on a good day.
    I had the EX471 before and I don’t think they’re quite as robust as those, but the extra 5 mm width is quite nice and is noticeable on the trail.
    As plenty of folk have noted above, it’s easy enough to change rim to a higher spec if it’s not lasting for you.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have a set on my Cotic Solaris. The wheels were originally spec’d on this
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-al-slx-29-9-0-trail.html
    Nice set of wheels, light, strong and have taken some lakes abuse for a couple!e of years now.
    However they are aimed more towards xc/ trail than enduro.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Interesting ta. It looks like bird spec them on the 145 aeris, well the 25mm version

https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-am9-xx1/#wheels

They also come as standard on a BmC trail fox 2

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/bikes/mountain/allmountain-trailfox-02-one/

Both fairly high end trail/ enduro shred sleds

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Howsyourdad – I know there will be a set of DT 1900’s in 29er for sale at a good price soon. Would leave you with a bit more for your ‘bling’ set.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@groundskeeperwilly in boost flava?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Dble post

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Yeah boost

russyh
    Free Member

I have a pair of m1700’s spline 2’s on my Jeffsy. I am not very forgiving on wheels and have given these some abuse over my 7 months of ownership. They are a great wheelset. I have had the rear trued up and it will likely need a spike key again soon. It’s survived Ard Rock Enduro, Afan, CYB, multiple BPW trips and various other riding. They are a fantastic wheelset, sadly mine are the slightly older version and I’m looking to upgrade to a wider rim so I will be retiring them soon enough. Likely be a XM or ex481 on hope Pro4. That said the ‘upgrade’ will be a downward one in terms of wheel weight

vinnyeh

I’ve these on my Aeris- they’re the 30mm version released this year, not the narrower older rims – I think they’re selling off some old narrower stock, but not fitting them to bikes- I’m not up to Grum P’s efforts, but they’ve done 2 and a bit weeks in the Alps, 3 days at BPW and a bit of Just Riding Along.
    No problems whatsoever- like an above poster I wondered whether they were not strong enough and not light enough, and should I get the Enduro’s instead, but they’ve instead proved to be strong enough, and probably light enough as well. No easily noticeble wobble, not tightened a spoke (DHF Double Down tyres fitted). After best part of two decades on various Hopes the only thing I’m missing is the freewheel buzz to warn walkers when I’m coming up behind- I’ll probably just get another bell.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers all , much appreciated.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss M1700 Spline 30 29er Wheelset’ is closed to new replies.