Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • DT 240 Freehub – replaceable bearings?
  • JohnnyPanic

Got a teeny amount of play in my rear DT240 hub.
    Have replaced the (easy) outer non drive side bearing but still play.

There are 2 cartridge bearings in the freehub, separated by a spacer, which look like they should just press out on the outboard side but which have so far resisted attempts to bash them out.

I can't find any DT tech docs which show dissassembly of the freehub so before I just start hitting it harder need to know:-
    Do these bearings definitely come out?
    i.e. should I just mtfu and whack it harder or is it new freehub time?

JohnnyPanic

Yep, got that thanks.
    The "RW disassembling the freewheel" section shows you how to remove the freehub from the hub / axle but not how to remove the bearings from within the freehub. 😐

br
    Free Member

tbh when I saw these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tool-kit-DT-Swiss-240-hubs-free-shipping-ww-/230494534826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aa8b7caa

I made a mental note that my LBS would be changing the bearings in mine. Its not I'm lazy etc (as I've the Hope kit and have changed a few of those), just didn't fancy spending that kinda money on something I'll probably only use once – had the wheel 2 years already with no problems.

JohnnyPanic

😀 That's not bad. I've seen that toolset for a LOT more

There are 4 bearings in the rear of a DT 240.
    The outer non drive side bearing is easy to replace.
    You need the ringnut to get at one of the inner bearings.

It's the two in the freehub I can't work out.
    If they do just bash out then that is also not too difficult to do. It's just knowing whether they come out that way, or not… 😕

JohnnyPanic

OK, no more replies so gonna up the ante in the "bash it out" stakes 😀
    Seems not many on here have 240s hubs or work on them…

neil853
    Free Member

I had issues with my rear hub, went through 3 sets of bearings in 3 years. But my local nike shop only charged me £10 labour to change them, didn't think it was worth the hassle to anything else. The hub bearings are meant to be removed using the specific tool.

billyboy
    Free Member

I made the mistake of buying some DT 240 hubs several years ago…. won't do it again……. piss poor sealing against British weather.

billyboy
    Free Member

I've not done a service on this freehub but in general…if you are bashing and it won't budge, look for circlips etc… can be really titchy like Campag jobbies.

JohnnyPanic

Spot on billyboy.

So after pressing and bashing didn't shift it I took a different approach.

The spacer between the 2 bearings in the freehub can be pushed to one side allowing the outer bearing to be drifted out with a punch. Comes out easily. The spacer then falls out revealing the big circlip holding the inboard bearing in place. Once that is removed the inboard bearing is also drifted out easily and both have now been replaced. Hurray – no more play in the wheel.

Once you know how it all goes together it's an easy hub to work on. You only need the DT ring tool if you're having to replace the internal hub bearing on the drive side and this probably won't need doing that often. The non drive side bearing is easy to replace as are (once you know how it goes together) the freewheel bearings.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I have 240s – sorry i didnt see your post sooner – yep circlip inside the freehub… I have had to replace the inner bearing a few times = tool worthwhile – they are ace hubs apart from that stoopid dear tool…

paul

JohnnyPanic

How did you know the inner bearing needed doing?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘DT 240 Freehub – replaceable bearings?’ is closed to new replies.