Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Driving whilst on the phone…….
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

…..does anyone really pay attention to this law??

After driving home last night i realised that hardly anybody seems to bother!

It gets right on my t*ts i tell ya!

You have the young girls who drive Minis….look like something off the only way is Essex, who cant seem to drive without texting or using the phone. You have the ‘hardman’ who doesnt seem to care about disguising the fact that he’s on the phone…can be seen smoking at the same time too. You have the one who seems to think that using the phone is ok as long as you dont have it to your ear, instead its held like a walkie talkie. Then theres the one who pretends he’s resting his head on his hand. Then you have the texter, who has managed to hone his driving skills that he can anticipate the traffic with ease whilst texting on the phone. AMAZING!

Its amazing really how people will risk their licence, the hassle of a fine and a producer, their own (and others) safety just to have a call!

Rant over!

Seriously though, does anyone really take this law seriously??

tinribz
    Free Member

Not sure what’s worse that ^ or people stopping and parking in the middle of the road for a chat.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Well, plenty of people don’t do it, and plenty of people do get caught for it.

But I know what you’re saying, loads of people still do it.

I can drive to work in my car (15 miles) and see maybe 3-4 doing it. Same journey in the work wagon, hardly ever see one.

Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Haha i havent encountered that one just yet….i’ll be looking for it now though!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I know a cop. He told me mobile users and drivers crossing white lines always get pulled, unless he’s on a rush job. He explains that he’s been to fatals caused by both and asks the drivers not to. The ‘attitude test’ then applies.

scaredypants

people who use the phone when driving are tossers

(but I do possibly still hold the record for eating a Kentucky 2 piece, chips and portion of ribs whilst steering with yer knees)

project
    Free Member

well if its a liveried /branded company vehicle, phone their boss,

Cougar

What I don’t get is why people do it whilst negotiating hazards.

Before the legislation came in, I’d sometimes use the phone whilst driving. But I’d always go, “oops, hold on a second” and drop the phone in my lap to go round a roundabout or suchlike.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Whats the general consensus on hands free then? My company have a total ban on use when driving, this came on new years day and it’s made my job a nightmare to be honest

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You have the young girls who drive Minis….look like something off the only way is Essex, who cant seem to drive without texting or using the phone.

To be fair girls can be quite good at multitasking

Oggles
    Free Member

Boils my piss. Selfish twunts.

br
    Free Member

Whats the general consensus on hands free then?

Been hands free for years, basically since the early 90’s – don’t believe that its any worse than listen to the radio, and certainly no where as bad as your average old lady/chav/AL driver.

Waits to be shot down 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Whats the general consensus on hands free then?

Been hands free for years, basically since the early 90’s – don’t believe that its any worse than listen to the radio, and certainly no where as bad as your average old lady/chav/AL driver.

Waits to be shot down

You see, I’d agree. When I came out of my time in 2000, i was given a van with hands free, and a mobile to go in the cradle. I don’t know if it’s years of doing it, without incident that’s made me think it safe, of if it actually is safe. It’s been a ball ache this year because we can’t use it

shifter
    Free Member

Hands free has been “banned” at our company and I agree. Used to have a boss who always rang in on his way to work in a morning, wanted to know the ins and outs of any night shift problems and it was clear that he was not devoting any of his limited intellect to his driving.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Young girls facebooking on the motorway was a favorite when I was lorry driving. Smartphones and driving are and accident waiting to happen.

shifter
    Free Member

Check out oncoming driver’s eyes – loads will be looking at their lap, where the phone is.

scaredypants

there’s some published stuff suggestng that hands-free is pretty much as dangerous as hand-held – supposedly it’s the concentration that’s lost rather than ability to physically control the car

if you’re a sensible person I think you can proably tune out the phone regardless of how you’re using it but it depends on the call I think.

I don’t use a phone in the car but I have to tell my youngest daughter to shut up sometimes as she talks a lot and somehow in a way that you have to concentrate quite hard on what she’s on about. I’ve missed turnings and stuff due to her so now I stop her when she’s going off on one.

SST
    Free Member

Isn’t one of the most annoying things, when a woman is trying to navigate her way out of a shop car park whilst trying to turn the wheel with one hand and on the phone with the other?

br
    Free Member

there’s some published stuff suggestng that hands-free is pretty much as dangerous as hand-held – supposedly it’s the concentration that’s lost rather than ability to physically control the car

tbh I’m still waiting for them to ban manual cars, its in the same vein. And I go back to the fact that there are an awful lot of drivers who really are just crap.

And its top fun when commuting on a motorbike that when you pass/filter and the driver is on a hand-phone, just sound the horn – half the time they panic and drop it, especially when you’ve a white bike and wear a ‘bright’ jacket 🙂

pop-larkin
    Free Member

It makes no sense that people can still drive while smoking – surely holding a smouldering piece of vegetation can’t be safe?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

surely holding a smouldering piece of vegetation can’t be safe?

In the days when I smoked I would always leave the cigarette in my mouth as I drove, I found it more practical and it made look well hard.

Although to avoid the smoke entering my eyes and stinging them I would have almost close them until I could just peer at the road ahead through tiny slits in my almost closed eyelids, which wasn’t so practical – although it did make me look even harder.

Kevevs
    Free Member

if you crash and/kill/maim/hurt someone and you were on the phone, cops will be able to ascertain if you were on the phone at the time. can measure distance to distance etc, and use your mobile supplier info given the right circumstances.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Does my head in, always make a point of having a go when I can. One example, woman at a busy island (with lights) in Nottingham, me and a friend waiting (on bikes) and this woman is sat gassing away, so I shout full blast “WHAT YOU DOING?” “OI” a foot away from her car. Shat herself, dropped the phone. Didn’t even look at me..

Anyone who drives on the phone deserves to crash into a ravine. HATE IT

donsimon
    Free Member

surely holding a smouldering piece of vegetation can’t be safe?

Why would holding it be a problem? Dropping the little buggers can be a tad exciting though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear how they suggest passengers, particularly children, come up score-wise on that test though – and there’s no way they’d ban that. That said, I daily see people driving around in rush hour traffic with no control of their car, swerving about and paying no attention because they’re on the phone.

I’ll admit I’ve had a CU80 for this and I’m fine with admitting I shouldn’t have been doing it and it was a bit daft, though (as with many a criminal!) I think my actions were not putting anyone at risk when I was pulled – VERY late at night on large but empty junction I momentarily picked up the phone when the lights stopped me to listen to directions from someone who was telling me where to be, I hadn’t been having a conversation, they were on speaker phone and I’d waited until I came to a stop to pick up the phone to hear it better and then put it back down again when the lights changed. No other traffic on the road, at all, no pedestrian walkways near where I was, no pedestrians around for maybe 800 yards in any direction and a cop car sat down a dark side road with his lights off spotted me and pulled me.

When you look at the potential for damage caused by that infringement and then realise that there are millions of people driving along with a lit burny sticks, waffling to their kids in the back or changing the stereo, it’s a farce that I get points and they get nothing unless they crash.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Cuz I see women trying to turn the steering wheel with a fag between their fingers and it definitely looks a lot harder to manoeuvre – not to mention if you knock the cherry onto the floor!!!

brooess
    Free Member

I wish I’d rung the AA when I saw one of their instructors (in a liveried driving school car) on his mobile driving up to a roundabout with zebra crossing in my local high street…

Not a lot of hope really when you see that kind of stuff…

DrP

There’s a frightening statistic; something along the lines of a high percentage of phones found in car crashes had ‘activity’ on them seconds before the crash time (call/message received).

What gets me is people PULLING OUT of a parking space, truck-spinning the wheel, while on the phone! You were just parked dickh£ad – at.east finish the call!

DrP

donsimon
    Free Member

What gets me is people PULLING OUT of a parking space, truck-spinning the wheel, while on the phone! You were just parked dickh£ad – at.east finish the call!

+1, I mean, you could hit a bollard and trash your car or something.. 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

it definitely looks a lot harder to manoeuvre – not to mention if you knock the cherry onto the floor!!!

On the floor is fine. Between your legs is more problematic, as you try to stand whilst groping frantically on the seat with one hand, the other one on the steering wheel, and as you attempt to keep the vehicle correctly positioned on the road. It’s takes quite a bit of skill really.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed DrP, not really much excuse in any situation but madness if you’re in a parking spot already.

That said, it’s started a lovely new craze of parking in a stupid place just to take a call and not be driving. This week I’ve seen:

On a roundabout, twice
    In a slip road off a NSL dual carriageway
    on a blind country road bend
    across a side road, because pulling in completely would have been too tricky and required turning around to continue the journey.

Madness.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Talking on a phone, hands free or not, is absolutely not the same thing as smoking a fag, changing gear or even talking to a passenger.

The key difference is that you can’t see the person you’re talking to on the phone and they can’t see you, which means you lose all the non-verbal communication that would be present with someone in the car. It’s also why it’s harder to hold a conversation with someone in the back seat compared to someone in the front seat – which is why children in the back can be a serious distraction.

I read the research on talking using hands free being just as dangerous as not as well. It looked pretty sound and is based on the degree of concentration needed to hold the conversation in the absence of NVC.

Think about it like this; if you suddenly stopped talking for 10 seconds while on the phone to someone it would seem pretty odd and they would probably hang up or think there was a problem. If that person was in the car with you and could see that there was a tricky junction to negotiate then you wouldn’t need to explain the problem.

People on their phones while driving boils my p–s as well and I tend to get pretty interventionist about it. I routinely hold people up at lights, get out of the car to remonstrate and generally be a fascist about it, especially people in supermarket car parks.

And I couldn’t give a flying f–k what anyone says – I will keep doing it because the next person they kill could be my child or theirs.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The key difference is that you can’t see the person you’re talking to on the phone and they can’t see you, which means you lose all the non-verbal communication that would be present with someone in the car. It’s also why it’s harder to hold a conversation with someone in the back seat compared to someone in the front seat – which is why children in the back can be a serious distraction.

I don’t find it any harder to have a conversation with anyone in the rear or the front, when I can see them or not? It’s vocal conversation, not gestures and facial movements – it’s not like youre flirting in a noisy pub. Smoking is, in my experience, as much of a danger as holding a phone – I’ve seen the exact same stupid concentration and control issues with both first hand. I also don’t get the distraction idea when on hands free, as if someone going silent for 10 seconds means the conversation has ended. When I hit the hands free answer button I say “hi, I’m driving” – so anyone talking to me knows I may go silent while chatting if I need to concentrate specifically. Everyone I know who uses hands free does the same thing, people do have some common sense. IT’s not like everyone panics and starts saying “hello, hello, are you still there?” when you go silent.

People on their phones while driving boils my p–s as well and I tend to get pretty interventionist about it. I routinely hold people up at lights, get out of the car to remonstrate and generally be a fascist about it, especially people in supermarket car parks.

And I couldn’t give a flying f–k what anyone says – I will keep doing it because the next person they kill could be my child or theirs.

That’s just a bit daft and internet hero-y of you though, you’re going to achieve nothing but angering the people you’ve confronted and the other drivers in the area. Surely you’re not daft enough to think your intervention will alter people’s actions? That’s like trying to stop people from speeding by whining at them at the lights.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Surely you’re not daft enough to think your intervention will alter people’s actions?

While I’m stationary at the green light and don’t move until they’re off the phone, at that point, I am changing their behaviour and making the roads a little safer.

And really, I don’t need to be an internet hero – I can more than handle myself and most situations thanks.

I don’t find it any harder to have a conversation with anyone in the rear or the front, when I can see them or not?

Whatever….. the research is pretty soild and it’s empirical so if you want to burry your head in the sand that’s fine by me.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Geetee I agree with what your saying and your right phones should my be used but getting out to people will get you locked up buddy

geetee1972
    Free Member

but getting out to people will get you locked up buddy

I’ve done it a few times and honestly, each time the person has actually been very apologetic.

I can be very diplomatic, non threatening and persuasive. I tend to embelish the truth a little but it works and it makes people reflect 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

I routinely hold people up at lights, get out of the car to remonstrate and generally be a fascist about it, especially people in supermarket car parks.

You do realise that some people carry guns and knives on them whilst driving around don’t you ?

Although of course I don’t know whether or not you also do.

But I hardly think that’s it’s an issue worth having a blood bath over.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You do realise that some people carry guns and knives on them whilst driving around don’t you ?

Yeah, but not where I live 😀

You’re right, its not worth a blood bath over.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Back to the OP

Surely if you are seeing all that you’re not concentrating on the road either?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, but not where I live

I’m glad you feel sure about that.

Last monday at 10pm my friends up the road from me (a couple) had an armed robbery at their home. Three geezers with hand guns and a machete beat the crap out of them, put a gun to his head, stole their money and jewellery, and then beat them up some more (just because they could) before driving off.

I dread to think what would have happened to anyone who might have wanted to give them a lecture on their driving skills.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Driving whilst on the phone…….’ is closed to new replies.