Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Driving whilst on the phone…….
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Not pedantic at all.

To say that having a conversation while driving is the same as driving a few times over the drink drive limit is utter bollx.

It’s not in the slightest bit pedantic to point that out.

Shame really because that pic would have been funny if you had saved for a time when it was relevant 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

never mind driving whilst using the phone, what about the idiots that READ while driving?

Friday afternoon 4.30pm ish, I was heading home up the M1 near Leeds. Red MX5 passes me & I glance across to see a multi-page A4 document on the steering wheel, driver looking down not ahead. so I pressed my horn, he looked around & carried on past me. about a mile later he’d slowed down so I then passed him. STILL reading. at 65 in the middle lane of the M1. d***head.

brooess
    Free Member

That Direct Line link is interesting. And scary because so few drivers are aware of the findings…

I think cars have had so many safety features (for the occupants at least) built in now, that drivers are losing the feeling of vulnerability and their ability to judge the risk they are putting themselves and others under. I think very few of the drivers who cut me up on my 30mile ride this morning had any real intention or understanding they were putting me at risk…

I can’t remember the source but someone worked out we have a level of risk we’re comfortable with, and if we feel safe, we change our behaviour to take ourselves back to that level of risk. Hence people driving like idiots now cars are so much safer e.g. traction control and ABS…

We largely eradicated drink driving, which was widespread when I was a kid, partly through properly enforcing the law, sustained government communications, and making it socially unacceptable. Time to do this again, but with mobile phone use and general inconsiderate/dangerous driving

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rich_s

Crazy Belgians – good idea though…

mrmo
    Free Member

i know a company i used to work for has banned hands free and using a phone whilst driving is gross misconduct, obviously you have to be caught though.

ji
    Free Member

This might focus a few minds of people who use their phones whilst driving. Not getting insurance is potentially a major issue for most folk today (apart from those who don’t care about insurance!)

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/897770-car-insurers-blacklisting-motorists-who-text-or-call-while-driving#ixzz1thlAyIDz

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Crazy Belgians – good idea though…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjSWDwJILs&feature=player_embedded

No seatbelt law in WaloonLand?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From the comments under that Metro article:

What happens if two hearing impaired people are in a car “talking” to each other? Does using sign language which involves a lot of hand usage equate to breaking the law as at soem stage neither hand could be on the steering wheel

😆

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Why can’t people just turn the bloody things off, in most cases you don’t have to be contactable every minute of the day

Irish_AL
    Free Member

I did have some chav on a ‘ammaco’ bso ride of the footpath the other week who was using his phone at night with no lights on the bike and wearing some dark coloured shell suit thing, I missed him by about a foot. He then proceeded to square up to me in front of the car, although his attitude did change somewhat when I got out and he realised I was about 2ft taller than him and was in the mood for some polite re-education lol

donsimon
    Free Member

I was about 2ft taller than him and was in the mood for some polite re-education lol

Are you familiar with the expression “the bigger they are, the harder they fall”? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Going back many years when nothing was illegal 😉 I used to go out with a girl who had a car – and as I only had motorbikes, which her dad banned her from – she drove.

every time – without fail – she would do her makeup using the interior mirror, whilst operating the pedals and I would steer.
    It was a good job the road from my place was a 3 mile straight 🙂

ahh… the 70s

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I had some cretin using his phone this week as i came out of my local Tesco – fool was careering around the carpark with one hand clamped to his ear and having an animated conversation – the type of driving where he accelerates hard, brakes, accelerates, brakes etc.
    I was behind him on my bike as we got to the exit onto the main road and he was still on his phone.
    I shouted “get off your effing phone!” and he looked startled, looked at me in his wing mirror and said “are you talking to me?”

“Yes, you are DRIVING!”

He put his phone down, wound his window up and meekly drove off! 😆

sweepy
    Free Member

The 70s were more dangerous than you think jota

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6kiMdysnY[/video]

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Driving whilst on the phone…….’ is closed to new replies.