• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • My wife on a bike
  • thered

Doubt it’ll happen but if she was to be convinced, is there any reason, assuming that the standover’s ok, that my wife couldn’t use one of my bikes?

She’s 2 inches shorter than me but my Commencal is a pretty small frame.

robowns
    Free Member

Id say no problem, small commencals are like extra small in other brands.

khani
    Free Member

She’ll be fine, you might have to lower the bars and shove the seat forward a bit though

hels
    Free Member

Do you want her to actually enjoy biking ??

Borrow/hire something that fits her, then you stand a fighting chance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it fits fine, but sort her out with her own saddle.

BigJohn

Shorter stem. I’ve got one of Stu’s 50mm O/S if you need it.

The laydeez seem to be longer of leg, shorter of torso, or so they’d have us believe.

pretty small

They’re keen on pretty, too.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Ladies saddle is a must , or she will be v.uncomfortable 😯 I had to buy my wife a SC Heckler as she really liked mine after riding it.
    so be prepared to spend 😀

flowerpower
    Free Member

Both my bikes are Commencals as they have a nice short top tube, and assuming that you drop the saddle the 2″ needed then the position should be fairly upright too. I’m 5’6″ (female) and have a small Meta 5 and a Supernormal. Love them both. But +1 on the girly saddle.

I would say great, is good that you will loan her your bike – when I wanted to start riding I got hubbys 30yr old rigid diamond back. 19″ frame, straight bars, felt like I was on a gate! Graduated onto full sus a couple of years later and suddenly realised what fun it all was 🙂

thered

I’m gonna size here up for standover tonight, if it doesn’t fit proper then I’m not gonna press the issue.

I’ve already greased my self up with a girly saddle, there’s no way she’d live with my Koobi.

Thanks John but I’ve got a 50mm O/S Thomson and 640mm bars lying around doing nowt so if reach is an issue then i’ll have a fiddle, fnarr fnarr.

scruff
    Free Member

I’m gonna size here up for standover tonight, if it doesn’t fit proper then I’m not gonna press the issue.

😛

sefton
    Free Member

i recently got my wife a bike, this weekend she went on it for the first time all was good but she hated the saddle – need to find a female friendly saddle now & maybe some padded shorts

I_Ache
    Free Member

My wife rides my old 16″ 456, I’m 6′ and she is about 5’1″ so while it was a bit small for me it is a little big for her. I have put some light wheels a womans saddle on a suspension post ,she is new to riding so doesn’t know when she should stand/feels out of control when she does. The post is layback so I put that on backwards and mounted the saddle as far forwards as I could effectively shortening the TT. I also put a 35mm stem and some narrow high ride bars on it. The idea behind the bars was that she will be in a less aggressive position so should be more comfortable sitting more upright.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What I would say is 100% let her have the full suss bike, the comfort of that plus the saddle is a huge benefit. Not sure how she is with being given advice by you (my Mrs is a nightmare in that regard) but if she going to ride your pride and joy I’d find a way of given her a lesson in gear changing and/or ride a trail where granny ring is not required. My Mrs changed from middle to granny under full load a few times and the noise made me wince !

I hope it works out, much better she gets into the biking a bit even if it’s just summer evening rides midweek which is what we do.

snakebite
    Free Member

lend her your shorts, they should fit as she already wears the trousers…. 😆

thered

Good point well made snakey (hangs head in doley shame)

rondo101
    Free Member

Protip – telling her to “just mtfu and get down it; it’s not that steep” will not be seen as encouragement & may lead to an argument.

sadmadalan

Just remember not to nag. She will make all the mistakes that you made a long time ago and have forgotten.

My better half bought a bike a little too small so that she could sit more upright. Looks strange to me, but it works for her. Now as she is more confident, she is looking for a larger bike!

Sandwich

Lots of “You’re doing really well, x wasn’t as good when they first rode with me” also helps. Hot drink and cake to return to and half way round too while she’s learning.

BigJohn

just mtfu and get down it; it’s not that steep

Mike (thered) hears that most Thursday nights. I don’t think he’s going to be going anywhere steep if he can choose.

juan
    Free Member

I’m 5’6″ (female) and have a small Meta 5

Ohhhhh you’re not looking to sell the frame are you 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘My wife on a bike’ is closed to new replies.