Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Drivetrain slipping……replaced everything could it be the hub????
  • Grupper205
    Free Member

Hi All, my drivetrain started slipping a couple of rides ago, so I took the plunge to replace my chain, and cassette (10 speed) as they looked very worn out. I had previously changed my rear mech after snapping it a couple of months ago. I found that something was still slipping on the next ride, so I bought a new chain ring, but guess what, I’ve still got a slipping problem when I’m applying a lot of pressure on the pedals. When it goes there is a loud bang. Could it be my Hope Pro 2 hub (pawls) slipping? Anyone had similar issues?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I would say its unlikely but not impossible to be the hub. Does the hub still make the standard loud hope pro 2 click while free wheeling?
    If it does then its probably ok as that is the sound of the pawls engaging the ratchet mechanism.
    Is everything you replaced 10 speed compatible?
    Chain length ok not too long?
    Have you had someone watch your drive train as you try to pedal hard at low speed while dragging the brakes slightly?

cynic-al
    Free Member

sure gears are set right and not skipping out?

rudedog
    Free Member

Make sure you tightened the cassette lock ring.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be the hub, my hub split in 2 and for about a mile i was convinced it was the gears, untill the internals externalised themselves!

Grupper205
    Free Member

I must admit the pro 2 clicking sound is not as loud as it has been in the past………

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Probably best if you open up the hub and check for wear! It’s possible you’ve broken the pawl springs. How old is the hub?

coatesy
    Free Member

We replace the pawl springs in Pro2 hubs as a matter of course, as we’ve found a lot of broken ones when servicing, and had a lot returned with no drive. For about £2 a set, it’s not worth putting the old ones back in, no matter how good they appear. Shame they had to move from coil springs.

spooky_b329

I would say pawls/springs likely, I’ve not had it with my Pro II’s, but my older XC’s were quite susceptible.

passtherizla
    Free Member

mech hanger bent after snapping mech?

edit: loud bang?! dunno.

unklehomered
    Free Member

sorry if obv question, you’ve also replace cables yes?

Grupper205
    Free Member

Cheers for your responses. I’ve not changed my cables as my rear mech is shifting nicely, and everything appears to be lining up well. I removed my rear mech hanger last week to make sure it was nice and straight and fortunately it was.
    Going to have a look at the hub tonight to see if I need new pawls in addition to springs.

Grupper205
    Free Member

Took hub off tonight, and as I took the first spring off it snapped!! Think I may have found my issue now.
    Cheers for the help and guidance guys.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Drivetrain slipping……replaced everything could it be the hub????’ is closed to new replies.