Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • Drinking With Racists
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I thought you were on my side …turncoat… but you may have a point…ooh are you trolling ?

slimjim78
    Free Member

As a white englishman living in/around very culturally diverse areas, I have been on the receiving end of more racist abuse than most have given out.
    Ive noticed that in areas where I personally become a minority I tend to witness a more confident ‘mob rule’ attitude from other races (obviously).
    I also have had discussions with asian friends/collegues on this and similar topics and this has been affirmed.

It is my belief that any & every culture has the tendancy to be racist/oppresive toward the minority in its immediate surroundings.
    Racism truly isnt a ‘white man’ thing, and it will never be eradicated as culturally we are too diverse.
    However, overtly liberal attitudes (which I find terribly lame) will only end up creating bigger problems in the long run as we shift the balance far too much.
    We have to stop apologising, accept our differences and the very fact that we are different before we can move on.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No racism isn’t truly a white man thing, but no race has dealt it out more severely with terrible consequences than the white man.

Grimy
    Free Member

No racism isn’t truly a white man thing, but no race has dealt it out more severely with terrible consequences than the white man.

Racist! 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Racist!

Idiot! 😛

Cougar

Cougar, do you think you haven’t come over as a moron in the latter part of this thread? Say what you think now.

Do you think I have? Genuine question, there’s little point in me taking part in these chats in future if that’s what everyone thinks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You don’t come over as a moron to me – but it does look like you miss the point about racism and the use of racist language completely with no desire to understand the issues at all.

If you argue devils advocate when someone makes a good point you should accept that

slimjim78
    Free Member

”No racism isn’t truly a white man thing, but no race has dealt it out more severely with terrible consequences than the white man”

Says who? Thats a sweeping generalisation at best.
    Are you speaking on behalf of international rascists throughout history?
    Or the fact that most of the history you are aware of is based on white man? (as you are presumably white, and educated as such).
    Many other countries have far far worse racsism problems (& history) than the UK – and many of those countries are not ‘white’.

xiphon
    Free Member

You will always meet people who 99% you get on with (perhaps share their views, or don’t mind some). Then there’s the 1% of them you don’t get on with.

Local bloke in the snack van (Blackburn area) is like that – he’s one of the nicest people I think I have ever met…. but don’t get him started on “those bloody Asians“. Not to stereotype or anything, but his usual customers who complain about “those bloody Asians” are overweight middle aged skinhead truck drivers/builders/labourers (you get the picture…)

I just don’t get involved in the discussion….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Says who? Thats a sweeping generalisation at best.

Ah right, says me for today. So, historically, who has dealt out more shite to other races than white people (by which I mean “white Europeans, including Americans…”? I hope you get the picture. If you need me to be more explicit, we can do that.

Cougar

It’s not that I miss the point at all. I just think it’s interesting to look at it from different angles. The problem with provocative subjects like this is that people get so passionate about them that it’s hard to be objective.

I try and take a step back from it and all I get is “are you stupid?” No, I’m not, and sitting there belming at me doesn’t get us anywhere. I’ve tried to be up front about posing hypothetical questions, it’s not a deus ex machina “ah, well, I was playing devil’s advocate” weaselly get-out. Perhaps I need to be clearer though.

I’m not sure what you mean about “accepting” points though; I wasn’t aware that I wasn’t. I’ll have a look at that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just a “good point well presented”

The problem with debating in text is that nuance is lost. So on this topic you appear to me to not understand and not want to understand.

You are right tho in that people get into entrenched positions

MrSalmon
    Free Member

sitting there belming at me

‘Belming’ is a totally new word for me. Wassit mean?

Cougar

‘Belming’ is a totally new word for me. Wassit mean?

It probably means you’re quite a bit younger, or older, than I am.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve tried to be up front about posing hypothetical questions

Very difficult online and when the people don’t know you. I get in trouble for it all the time! 🙂

So, historically, who has dealt out more shite to other races than white people (by which I mean “white Europeans, including Americans…”?

It’s more complicated than that. Lots of slave trading, for sure, but that was a very long time ago, and we definitely weren’t the only ones. It’s just that mostly we were the only ones taking people of a visibly different race and shipping them half away around the world. So many terrible stories from ALL OVER the world, that we don’t know about. Perhaps they happened outside of recorded history, perhaps we just don’t know the history. Did you know for example that the Japanese people (as a race) displaced the original inhabitants, the Ainu, who are now treated like dirt apparently – pretty similar story to the USA, Australia etc etc etc etc. It happened all over the world and is still happening.

It’s also worth noting that in many cases the ‘white’ man brought stability and development along with rule. I worked with a chap from Sudan once, and he said that when he went back home (to a small village) old people kept asking him when the British were coming back, because things were much better then.

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS if TJ was giving me advice on how to present your arguent well on the Internet I would be worried 😉
    You are clearly not a moron and you are clearly quite bright and thinka bout life and issues in general. However these debates will always get a little heated and raise some heckles/emotions. I just dont think there is any need for the devils advocate type questioning as it can be seen as provocative/trolling etc. As I demonstrated [ badly] it is easy to get a reaction from someone.
    I think it can also lead to circular argument where you can genuinely see someones point of view but just keep asking questions about it whilst not really giving your own view.
    I did not mean any offence in general but I was a bit off with you for which I apologise.
    I dont think you need to leave or anything nor necessarily listen to my advice – could be wrong or you may not be interested in what I think. Be yourself some folk will like you some wont just as in life.
    EDIT: as above that was why I mentioned about those posters as they do the same…i would be lying if i said it did not irritate me and lying if I said I did not bite occassionally. I would also be lying if I said that they were not amongst the sharpest folk on here.

grum
    Free Member

It’s not that I miss the point at all. I just think it’s interesting to look at it from different angles. The problem with provocative subjects like this is that people get so passionate about them that it’s hard to be objective.

I try and take a step back from it and all I get is “are you stupid?” No, I’m not, and sitting there belming at me doesn’t get us anywhere. I’ve tried to be up front about posing hypothetical questions, it’s not a deus ex machina “ah, well, I was playing devil’s advocate” weaselly get-out. Perhaps I need to be clearer though.

You say you want to look at it from different angles – but then when I talk about the historical context of all these issues you say ‘I’m not interested in a history lesson’.

Usually a discussion is a two way thing – completely ignoring the valid points people make and just asking more questions doesn’t make for a good debate, and I don’t know why you’re surprised that it winds people up.

yunki
    Free Member

So, historically, who has dealt out more shite to other races than white people (by which I mean “white Europeans, including Americans…”? I hope you get the picture. If you need me to be more explicit, we can do that.

I’d love for you to be more explicit if you would be so kind.. these threads often contain some enlightening info..

so step up and show us some evidence to back up your audacious and fishy-sounding claim please sonny jim..

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 Junkyard and Grum

If you’re debating from a position that’s not your own then you still have to accept/refute points made by others rather than just asking another question.

Otherwise it is just trolling imo.

Cougar

You say you want to look at it from different angles – but then when I talk about the historical context of all these issues you say ‘I’m not interested in a history lesson’.

CBA to read back but I think I said it wasn’t relevant to what I was getting at, rather than that I wasn’t interested. But yes, that’s a fair point I think. Duly noted.

I did not mean any offence in general but I was a bit off with you for which I apologise.

No offence taken. *manly hug*

slimjim78
    Free Member

So, historically, who has dealt out more shite to other races than white people (by which I mean “white Europeans, including Americans…”?

It’s more complicated than that. Lots of slave trading, for sure, but that was a very long time ago, and we definitely weren’t the only ones. It’s just that mostly we were the only ones taking people of a visibly different race and shipping them half away around the world. So many terrible stories from ALL OVER the world, that we don’t know about. Perhaps they happened outside of recorded history, perhaps we just don’t know the history. Did you know for example that the Japanese people (as a race) displaced the original inhabitants, the Ainu, who are now treated like dirt apparently – pretty similar story to the USA, Australia etc etc etc etc. It happened all over the world and is still happening.[/quote]

Amen.

It’s foolish to jump on the ”white man = racist” band wagon.
    Throughout history there have been countless racist atrocities inflicted by all colours and creeds. By spouting ‘USA+Britain did all the slavery init’ you are doing nothing other than proving your own ignorance/brain washed blinkery.
    Religion probably has just as much to answer for, but thats for another day.

Frankenstein
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Drinking With Racists’ is closed to new replies.