Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stiff bearings in new press-fit bottom bracket
  • Schweiz
    Free Member

Just installed a new press fit BB with the proper tool. I lightly greased the shell and it went in very easily.

Since installing it I’ve noticed that both the bearings on both sides are very stiff. On the non-drive side it’s so stiff I can bearly rotate it with my fingers. With the crank installed, there’s a lot of resistance to rotation. If I spin the crank it turns less than half a revolution.

What have I done wrong? Should I have greased the bearings in some way before installing them in the frame? Could I have pressed the cups into the frame with too much force and damaged them? Will they loosen up with use?

Unfortunately I didn’t check how the bearings felt before installing the cups so I can’t determine if the installation has been the problem or if they were stiff out of the box.

Thanks for any ideas! Schweiz

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sounds like the seals are stuff – new bearings with high quality seals can be a bit stiff although that sounds a bit much – I’d get the bearings out again and check them just to be sure so long as you dindn’t put pressure on teh inner race . seal and the proper tool should avoid that you shouldn’t have damaged the bearings

tn25
    Free Member

What cranks are you using?

Schweiz
    Free Member

Using XT hollowtech cranks. The crank “shaft” was a tight fit through the inner cover of BB and required a few decent taps but everything is aligned properly.

Unfortunately I don’t have the removal tool for the cups. They’re Shimano BB91. Perhaps I’ll try and knock them out with a 10mm allen key which was recommended elsewhere.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if you don’t have the right tool you could damage them – try taking it for a ride and see if they loosen off which they will if its just tight / dry seals

Schweiz
    Free Member

Cheers TJ – will do.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stiff bearings in new press-fit bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.