Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Dr dre earphones
  • bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Are they any cop? Seem a little pricey…. 😯

jonk
    Free Member

They break easily loads of kids at my school have them.

kimbers

they managed to beat the olympics sponsorship ban

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/31/dr-dre-beats-olympic-brand-police

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peteimpreza

I think my Solo HDs are great.

Keep an eye on the John Lewis website as they frequently have significant price reductions.

loddrik
    Free Member

Good bass, overpriced, too trendy.

I looked at them but just got some AKG 450’s, better sound without the hype.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

How significant? I can’t believe they cost upto £300… My first good bike cost that!

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Love bass so they could be the ticket

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tried a set in the shop in the US, wasn’t that impressed to be honest. I suspect there’s better for less.

Quite liked the Bose quietcomfort 15s for their noise cancelling efficacy but the sound wasn’t perfect.

peteimpreza

25% when I got mine.

Nothing reduced at the moment though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything that heavily advertised can’t offer goo VFM.

simples.

BurnBob
    Free Member

HMV had some great deals on them last week where you got something like £50 off if you traded in ANY old headphones!! Not sure if the offer is still running.

1-shed
    Free Member

Are you 12, if not get something else.

somafunk

If you’re prepared to spend that much money on earphones i take it you value sound quality, if so then check out HiFiMAN , specifically the RE-272 model, or the cheaper RE-262 model, if you don’t have a portable headphone amp with balanced outputs then you’ll need to use the supplied adapter but please don’t let that put you off – these are true audiophile earphones built and tuned purely for unrivalled sound quality at any price and make the Dr Dre items sound like the massively overpriced kiddy toy items that they are, they seem reasonable in price because that is the true cost of producing such an item without the usual overinflated marketing budget of the usual suspects – if you care about street cred and luv al fings wikid in’it then by all means waste cash on the massively marketing led Dr Dre’s but to be honest even the cheapest HiFiMAN earphones earphones will wipe the floor against the most expensive Dr Dre’s, i promise!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheapest way is probably to become world class at something with TV Coverage.

£300 for headphones – laughing all the way to the bank

cheburashka
    Free Member

Camden market is full of them. Or their approximation. Overheard a trader on Saturday giving his spiel to a young lady: ‘these are the good fakes and those are the **** fakes where the wires come out’. The mind boggles.

CountZero

Get a pair of Shure SE215’s. Properly designed in-ear monitors with replaceable cables that are vastly superior to those Dre ‘phones.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/shure-se215_Headphones_review
    Look around, you can get them for around £70.
    Or get a pair of these;
    http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_M6P_Stylish_Earphones_p/earphone-m6p-mee.htm
    Currently available for $35, so you could buy two pairs and still be saving a huge amount. They are damned good, too, and they show clear improvement after a ‘burn-in’ period, they sound a bit ‘thin’ at first, but after a few hours the bass gets deeper and fuller, and the treble smooths out, then they are just incredibly good. They’d be a steal at the full price, but at the sale price a rare bargain. I’ve had mine since last year, and I alternate them with the Shures, which are around £100 or so, and my UE TripleFi 10 Studio monitors, which is what I’m using at the mo’, retail about £300.
    Trust me, the M6P’s are probably as good an earphone as you’re ever likely to want, unless you want replaceable cables like my Shure and UE ‘phones.
    http://www.head-fi.org/products/beats-by-dr-dre-tour-in-ear-headphones/reviews

Sam

Agree with the recommendation for hifiman above – proper headphones rather than overpriced trendy tat. The first question should really be, as for bikes, what do you intend on using them for? Source, location, music type, in ear or over, budget?

_tom_
    Free Member

Soundmagic PL21s ftw. Cheap and sound great. Not the best with an iPod though due to the awful headphone amp and lack of adjustable EQ. Great with my samsung phone (and don’t need any eq to sound good)!

cheers_drive

I must have missed the premium headphone craze, I had a look in the airport the other day and the average price was about £300! I thought £50 was premium before that. Do you actually get much benefit when you spend above a ton or is it as I suspect all about fashion.

fasthaggis

Do.do.do.do.don’t believe the hype

scruff
    Free Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the Beats by Dre thing that came on my Android phone, I cant tell if its better or not.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got the P Diddy versions (yeah, I know!) and I think they’re really good. However, they’re a bit bling and way overpriced. If these break, they won’t be replaced with another pair.

It’s telling that I just use a cheap pair of sony’s on the bike….

Sam

Do you actually get much benefit when you spend above a ton or is it as I suspect all about fashion.

Good headphones from a good source ideally played through an amp – yes there is an enormous difference. If you are just listening to highly compressed files through your iphone jack in a noisy environment then you probably won’t notice much difference.

My home listening setup – it’s not about fashion – these never leave the house.

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you actually get much benefit when you spend above a ton or is it as I suspect all about fashion.

It’s a waste of money if you’re just going to listen to MP3s through them, even if you’re ripping @256kbps that’s just barely CD quality.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

@tom; I’ve just ordered a pair of the MP21s to use with my new phone. lots of good reviews about them. If they are good, I will probably order some E10s or even something more exotic in the SM range to go with my other MP3 player.

@Sam; my uncle used to have something similar. Sounded amazing, but as a kid I wished I had a neck brace to cope with the weight of the headphones!

A friend found a set of Beats earphones on a bus. They are ok for bassy dance music, but rubbish for something more subtle like classical. They remind me of Goodmans Jamo speakers in the 80s; all bass and loudness but not much else.

Sam

Mike – these weigh very little at all – wood bodied. I had some alloy bodied Grado SR225 and did find them too heavy. These are both open style ‘phones though so not really suitable for public use.

slinkybike
    Free Member

I am on to my 2nd set of these’s

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/professional_headphones-headsets_headphones_502188

the first lasting me ten years as a working dj, but that probably tells you a bit about how many frequencies I can still hear.

scuttler

Thing is they’ve been designed by a doctor so unless your Sennheisers have been designed by someone like Professor Green then they’ll never be half as good obviously. Der.

It’s nice to see kids have decided that listening to music through mobile phone speakers can actually be improved upon.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

@Sam; That’s a beautiful looking set up, built to last. i don’t know what it was my uncle had, it may well have been hand made as he was a whizz with electronics etc, but the sound was amazing. With the headphones on, you really felt you were in the concert hall. I don’t expect to get similar sund quality with a pair of £20 headphones, but I’m sure they’ll be better than the supplied units which are uncofoprtable, tinny and lacking in any power. I don’t want to be spending too much though.

xiphon
    Free Member

The ‘beats by dre’ headphones are good RELATIVE to the shite in-ear buds the yoofs will be used to.

Compared to ‘proper’ headphones in that price range, they’re ….rubbish….. but the younger generation are the target customer base.

Ironically, the young ‘uns hearing is probably better than the older folks…

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

The whole idea of equalised headphones is ridiculous. So what if you like bass? Listen to an artist that uses a lot of bass.

Think of it this way; you wouldn’t buy a TV with the image tinted blue just because you like the colour blue. The idea is that it recreates the source.

sparkyrhino

Got some in ear dre’s for my wife, for our anniversary,she loves them ,nearly gagged paying £70 for them ,she was greatfull though(wink wink) .

konabunny
    Free Member

Th headphones made Dr De the richest hip hopper in the biz last year. He hasn’t put out a record in yonks.

xiphon
    Free Member

Doesn’t Dre also own loads of recording studios, and makes plenty of money from them? I think Jay Kay did that too (may well be wrong though) – hence he can afford to splash out on amazing cars.

Both invested their earnings early in their careers.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

The MP21s have just arrived. They’re not absolutely amazing in terms of sound quality, but for £21 they are fantastic value for money I think. The difference over the earphones supplied with my phone is huge though, they are much much better. They’re only for the odd train journey ewtc, so will be perfect. i’d like to get something better for the MP3 player, and hear the E10s are very good indeed. Any other suggestions for under £60 or so?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the Beats by Dre thing that came on my Android phone, I cant tell if its better or not

My HTC Sensation has it built in and came with Beats Audio headphones. Probably good if you listen to a lot of base heavy rap but for me it just makes the sound a bit muddy and coloured. I’d avoid if possible. At some point I’ll switch off the beats audio and get some ordinary phones but as the phone was a pressy from my Mrs I don’t want to appear too ungrateful.

konabunny
    Free Member

Siphon – was in the paper a couple weeks ago.

Dre never had money early in his career – he was fleeced by Jerry Heller and Eazy, and then by Suge Knight. Dre just sold Beats by Dre brand for $300m.

alex222
    Free Member

Ahem

Eazy -E

mikeconnor
    Free Member

So Beats headphones are significantly more expensive than comparable products, with no measurable advantage? Sounds similar to a certan other product discussed at great length on here!

davedodd
    Free Member

I got my Solo HD’s for £65 in Thailand and my in ear ones for £30 in KL. Good value at that cost I think. Wouldn’t pay British RRP, I’d rather go for Beyer Dynamic or similar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Dr dre earphones’ is closed to new replies.