Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Down's syndrome jokes
  • DezB
    Free Member

Are you really that politically correct Talkemada?
    Cos I have never in my life met anyone that really is.

Bez

bez, life is such…………does that sound any better?

Of course not, it doesn't even sound any different.

were any downs kids in the audience?

On that logic, is it ok to have closed meetings to demean black people, as long as you don't invite non-caucasian people along?

But does it help to confront ignorance and prejudice surrounding such a sensitive issue?

Indeed. It's doing the exact opposite. It's standing up in public and saying "hey, it's ok to laugh at people because they are in some way not of their own choosing different to you". And it's not. It's that simple. Using other people's attributes to convey another point is something quite different to simply treating others as objects of ridicule and portraying that as a socially acceptable activity, the basis of a career even.

Talkemada
    Free Member

What's 'Political Correctness' go to do with anything? What a tired old line. I don't find mental disability something that should be made fun of, that's all. If others find Boyle funny, that's up to them. The stigma and prejudice suffered by people with Downs isn't helped by someone trying desperately to get a 'laugh'. If Boyle was any good, he wouldn't have to resort to 'shock tactics'.

Tommy Cooper could simply walk onto a stage and have the audience rolling around in stitches. Boyle has none of Cooper's talent.

ton

every **** time the **** pc police have to come in………..ffs

it is humour, if you dont like it dont laugh. 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

And,predictably on cue:

every **** time the **** pc police have to come in………..ffs

Ton, I gather you're quite a 'big' feller. Do you like 'fat' jokes?

ton

yes mate i do. i am fat and it does not bother me at all.
    i am also ugly, and old and grey……tis life……. 😆

mrsflash
    Free Member

She's a friend of mine.

She has seen FB on mock the week etc many times and always found him funny. She just didn't expect to be there listening to him make jokes about her daughter (yes I know they weren't about her daughter, but you know what I mean). She was feeling uncomfortable, and her husband asked if she was ok or wanted to leave – FB noticed and asked why, so she explained about her daughter and why she was upset. She agrees that his humour is often close to the edge – but obviously this was completely unexpected on what was supposed to be a fun night out with friends. She certainly didn't expect all the attention she is getting from it.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Ok. But you at least have the ability to answer back, give as good as you get, right?

Imagine you had a child with Downs. Would it be so 'funny'?

And to trot out the 'PC' crap every time your views are challenged is pretty feeble, imo.

ton

mate, what i said was that some find it funny and some dont………i dont.
    but the pc bit…..come on, you cant defend every thing mate..

Bez

yes mate i do. i am fat and it does not bother me at all.

Fundamentally, though, chances are that's due to you the way you choose to live your life than a serious genetic disorder and I'm guessing it doesn't affect your ability to do everyday things or the way in which everyone around you treats you.

If you were blighted from birth with a condition that made you so fat you couldn't walk unaided and were largely unemployable, and you were still happy with people pointing at you and laughing at your clearly hilarious massive wobbling body and your immobility, and you were still happy with society in general finding that acceptable, then you'd have a tenable argument. But mates down the pub taking the piss out of your beer gut is, frankly, not in the same ballpark. The fact that you think it is simply underlines your failure to make any effort to empathise with people for whom this might be the case.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You see it's funny ton…you were so sensitive yesterday over the whole funeral thing. And yet here you are this evening saying it's fine to take the piss out of anything. You've either chilled out a bit too much or you need to make up your mind a bit…that's all mate.

mrsflash
    Free Member

were any downs kids in the audience?

no but the mother of one was. Do you honestly not understand how she would not have found it upsetting? She has said that if it was just one joke, she would have ignored it, but it just went on and on.

ton

just got back from making a butty……. 😆

just answer me a question seriously…….if the joke had been aimed at a fat person or a gypsy would you be so keen to air you disgust at the bloke???

and answer honestly.

ton

dd, i was not upset when i called you a cocK…….that was failed humour……. 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

So, does anyone know exactly what he said then?in what context? cos I read the link and there's nowt there.

On the other hand, I thought the episode of Ricky Gervais' Extras with the Downs Syndrome girl (the one with Kate Winslet) was great.

Are we allowed to pick on gingers?

M6TTF
    Free Member

'fat' is self inflicted – downs is genetics

Talkemada
    Free Member

if the joke had been aimed at a fat person or a gypsy would you be so keen to air you disgust at the bloke???

Yep. Totally.

Why do some 'comedians' find it necessary to 'attack' people?

tazzymtb

where does this expectation come from that life should be fluffy and fair and nice and balanced? unfortunately humans are basic/cruel/simple/animals that's just the way life is. Life is far to short to get offended by what people say 🙄

mrsflash
    Free Member

kevevs, from her blog; jokes about the way people with DS talk, jokes about the way they dress, jokes about the jobs they can do, jokes about their haircuts, jokes about their parents being old and old-fashioned

Bez

if the joke had been aimed at a fat person or a gypsy would you be so keen to air you disgust at the bloke???

Personally I'm not airing disgust at the original joke becaause I don't know what it was. I'm airing disgust at people coming to the defence of the act of laughing at disabled people on the basis that their disability is inherently funny. I'd argue as robustly against anyone defending laughing at genetically obese people purely for being fat, at people of any race purely because of that race, or any other immutable and unchosen attribute purely because of that attribute.

ton

fair do's then, but like i said…some will laugh some wont…life is……………well you know…. 😆

Talkemada
    Free Member

kevevs, from her blog; jokes about the way people with DS talk, jokes about the way they dress, jokes about the jobs they can do, jokes about their haircuts, jokes about their parents being old and old-fashioned

Sounds horrible. 🙁

I grew out of Spaccer, Flid and Mong 'jokes' when I was about 8, and realised there was no honour in mocking those less fortunate than me.

Bez

where does this expectation come from that life should be fluffy and fair and nice and balanced?

I think the expectation is simply that over time we make it fluffier, fairer, nicer and more balanced. It would be nice and fair if no-one gets stabbed to death in the street this year, but we don't expect that to be the case. That doesn't mean that when it happens we should just say, "well, I shouldn't bother trying to feel anyone's collar for that, fundamentally we're all just a bit nasty really".

rs
    Free Member

So, does anyone know exactly what he said then?in what context? cos I read the link and there's nowt there.

On the other hand, I thought the episode of Ricky Gervais' Extras with the Downs Syndrome girl (the one with Kate Winslet) was great.

I'm pretty sure that woman had cerebral palsy.

ps. is it wrong that my fiancée's sister who is down's was laughing at someone walking down the street funny (dodgy leg condition, not drunk) 😆

tazzymtb

bez-fair enough, you are definitely a far nice person than me. I've not evolved much past dragging my knuckles along the ground

Bez

but like i said…some will laugh some wont

Yeah, I realise that. It's a fantastically facile statement, a bit like saying some people like runny eggs and some don't. It completely fails to make any useful point at all.

Kevevs
    Free Member

from her blog; jokes about the way people with DS talk, jokes about the way they dress, jokes about the jobs they can do, jokes about their haircuts, jokes about their parents being old and old-fashioned

That's pretty lame and weak. I wanna hear verbatim exactly what he said first before giving him a load of grief. is it recorded or sommat? I'd imagine the BBC will do him then? the way they did J Ross/That Russell **** bloke for Manuelgate?

Edric64
    Free Member

Don't we all take the piss out of people or is it not pc to mock the afflicted you know Man U fans Lib Dems Poles etc?

mrsflash
    Free Member

I don't think it's recorded, it was a stage show.

Woody
    Free Member

I'm sure you'd get a better laugh spending an hour with some down's kids!

Was that one of Mr Boyles lines ?

timdrayton
    Free Member

i thought manuelgate was genius, i was one of the 4 people actually listening to radio 2 on a saturday night at 9 pm, and even though i was driving my missus to hospital i was moved to chuckle…..

rs
    Free Member

Was that one of Mr Boyles lines ?

Was that a joke? Not laughing at the kids, with the kids!

Woody
    Free Member

Exactly !

It's a fine line between humour and offense.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Not laughing at the kids, with the kids!

well, with the Extras episode, it was defo laughing with the DS actress at the predjudices and nervousness of the other characters. Which made it fun. Don't see the fun in this FB thing. Comedy is meant to be fun no?

RichPenny
    Free Member

realised there was no honour in mocking those less fortunate than me.

Any reason why you automatically think everyone with a mental disability is less fortunate than you? Best not to generalise like that really.

rs
    Free Member

not really in this case though, it appears his whole act is based on the thinking that being offensive is funny.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mrsflash – Member

She agrees that his humour is often close to the edge – but obviously this was completely unexpected on what was supposed to be a fun night out with friends. She certainly didn't expect all the attention she is getting from it.

So giving an interview with BBC Radio 5 live's Victoria Derbyshire was probably a mistake then ?

mrsflash
    Free Member

that's not what I meant. What I meant was, at the time she said something at the show, she didn't forsee all this, understandably.

samuri
    Free Member

What a brilliant story. The woman thought he was funny when he was taking the mick out of other people but as soon as she felt it was offensive to her she'd had enough.

Fantastic.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Down's syndrome jokes’ is closed to new replies.