Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR!!!!
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

A month or 2 ago i purchased what i thought was a great brake a HOPE mini.

Not knowing much about bikes i asked the guy i was buying the brake from alot of times. will this fit my bike he said yes adamently!

ok i said i will buy it out of ebay and therefore thought i had myself a cool x mas gift to go riding with my mates.

anyhow cut a long story short it was a hope mini 3 the type that hasnt been made for like 9 years lol.

i contacted him and he told me he would send me a mount or adaptor to fit older brakes to newer frames, i said ok and called hope that said there wasnt anything available on the market which they knew about!#

i said ok well maybe they must have one because surely someone wouldnt like so blatently from a shop owner!

anyhow the name of the shop is RPM CYCLES

i have had nothing but delays and problems and now was told that its end of this because he doesnt want to discuss it further !

f++cking cheek with my money ofcourse not to beware people on ebay for this fraudster!

stumpyjon

Not knowing much about bikes

So you still went and bought something as complex as a hydraulic disc brake from Ebay to save a few pence 🙄

Can't comment on the Ebay bloke but maybe next time you'll use a local bike shop, they are more expensive but hey guess what, you get something for that extra cost, support and experience.

uplink
    Free Member

Are you sure there isn't a way to fit it?

have you got pics of the caliper & brake mount on the bike?

brant
    Free Member

They're just an IS standard aren't they?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Early Hope brakes* required a narrower hub to allow the caliper to engage the axle and a torque arm which connected to the left hand canti brake boss. The only other way to sort this out would be a new caliper half…

[edit] * pre IS mount

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

See no reason it wouldnt fit unless its really really old and its 22mm mount or something. Even then you could just change the caliper half.

jimmy

DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR!!!

Bit OTT?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm not sure why anyone would defend the seller unless they had made it quite clear from the start that the brake would not fit current frames?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You will be able to fit it. Mini 3 caliper – I have just fitted one on an on one. No 3 calliper is for a 160mm disc ( 165??) rear IS mount or 180 mm front IS mount – or you can use an IS to Post mopunt adaptor for post mount but you need to go up one size on the rotor is you do this.

uplink
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Early Hope brakes* required a narrower hub to allow the caliper to engage the axle and a torque arm which connected to the left hand canti brake boss. The only other way to sort this out would be a new caliper half…

[edit] * pre IS mount

The mini fits my IS mount hubs/frame fine. I've had one on the rear of 3 frames now ranging from '97 frames onwards? Slightly OTT response from the OP, and undoubtedly there is a solution a few quid away.

(Edit: having read the for sale thread it's not a mini, so ignore my comments!)

kimbers

a 9 year old hope mini is just a standard IS mount

i know i have some

if its a type 3 caliper do you not just need a +20 is to is adaptor depending on disc size

nonk
    Free Member

whats your bike?

retro83
    Free Member

paypal dispute, item not as described

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As posts crossed my above post is wrong its a C2 not a mini and wont fit. I'd go for the shop that sold it via e bay / paypal disputes

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Send it back through paypal they have to take back.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i disputed it. he was a bike shop owner, lbs so would you question him?

thats why they are there to give advice and sell no? so bit OTT not really.

i didnt save any money thats the thing!

i spoke to hope already about changing half etc and no can do. also they said its pre is and pm so no can do.

project
    Free Member

So youre telling everyone that can read,because a bike shop upset YOU, not to trust them,bit strange arent you.

sc-xc

I'm with you Nick_Christy.

There are some miserable **** on this forum.

amedias
    Free Member

annoying that you ended up with something you can't use, but on the flip side, that is such a weird caliper mount that there is bound to be someone out there dying to find one of those so they an fit a disc to their weird fork and will probably pay extra for it…

if it's not 74mm between the mount holes the it's likely for old manitous that had post-style mounts but before they settled on the standard, might fit and old Manitou X-Vert…

slowrider
    Free Member

I have just fitted one on an on one

say that fast fifty times

pitduck
    Free Member

the op is right you lot are beyond belief 😐

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am with the OP – Bike shop sells newbie incompatible parts and won't sort it out. Not right and needs the slagging
    Even as a private seller I'd have just given him money back

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds very much like a shop just trying to shift obsolete stock. Poor show if not done honestly.

Fwiw you can replace the caliper half quite easily. Also, they're in near perfect condition so have a look at retrobike site as there'll prob be someone who'd like them.

project
    Free Member

TJ,there are 3 sides to every story or complaint,the complainers side,

the one being complined about,

And the TRUTH.

We only have one side here.

1 + 0 does not equal 3

cynic-al
    Free Member

folk don't usually get this hard a time project. Seems to me the OP has been ****ed!

He's not said why he can't do a paypal dispute, though I guess that wouldn't change his opinion…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good point tho project.

knott4me
    Free Member

was it expensive .retro bike will linch you for this little beauty .

project
    Free Member

Go to Paypal, and then if that fails or youre not being quite truthful,then publish and face the consequences if youre not quite telling the truth,

As i know where the bike shop is,and may now not visit it, after reading the original post,it looks as if the chap who owns it is a scally,where in real life he may be a reputable person,who has ONE disgruntled customer,slagging him off on a top bike forum.

One day We may be the seller and be critised on a bike forum.

Nico
    Free Member

I don't understand this thread. It's a local bike shop but it was bought via eBay?

Either way it seems "not as described".

glenh
    Free Member

If it's a C2, you just need another caliper half with the right mounts. Can be had for £30 ish new or less second hand.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

slagging him off on a top bike forum.

is that so ? I often have cyclists ask me what Singletrackworld is…

KT1973
    Free Member

Nico – Member
    I don't understand this thread. It's a local bike shop but it was bought via eBay?

Either way it seems "not as described

Lots of shops sell stuff new on ebay that has been hard to shift for what ever reason- reaches a wider audience. Consequently sales prices tend to be high now.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

project – Member

So youre telling everyone that can read,because a bike shop upset YOU, not to trust them,bit strange arent you.

you kidding or taking the wee wee?

what would you say when you buy something from crc for eg and that doesnt even come close to fitting and they said no to a refund… i think your a little funny!

the guy has taken my money after selling me something he knew would never fit my bike! unless hes a poo bike shop and knows nothing!

As for different side to each story…

yes i called him said do you have any bike parts that WONT fit my bike?

o you do wow thanks £30 later!

i specified every part being used and what years also… obviously was a tought one for a bike owner…

surely he would ment to of anyone?

maybe just me a few other huh;)

yes he was a lbs selling on ebay

Dickyboy

As a business selling on ebay they must come under distance selling regulations? Wouldn't neg feedback been sufficient?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Why can't people read the orginal post before posting.

The first posting stated that:

It was a bike shop who sells on ebay
    He checked with said bike shop that the part would fit
    He bought part out of ebay
    Part doesn't fit
    Bike shop says it will with adaptor
    Hope who make the brake say it won't
    Bike shop said **** off!

Not difficult really.

BAD SERVICE, noted not to use RPM cycles in the future, thanks for the heads up on the bad service.

If you bought this off the classifieds half the people on here would be knocking on his door armed with Bombers by now!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nick. YGM

druidh
    Free Member

Distance Selling Regulations – 14 days to return it and get your money back.

mAx_hEadSet

Unusual forum post for STW, the OP admits to being clueless about brakes, consumer rights and only wants to go riding with his mates,

but hang on he clearly is getting the hang of the forum by laying straight into the moral fortitude of a bike shop… I can see him going places here one day 😉

ex-pat
    Free Member

Nice summary Jackass' (no insult there dude)…
    Anyway, good luck through paypal dispute, it's not as described etc etc. And as it's a shop not a private venture, you may be in more luck with getting your moneyback (I've had paypal fob me off saying private customer doesn't have funds etc).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR!!!!’ is closed to new replies.