• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 12,601 through 12,640 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • ninfan
    Free Member

Go on then, can somebody please explain to me what’s racist about this?

<span style=”font-family: Georgia, ‘Times New Roman’, Times, serif; font-size: 14px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>All Americans, not only in the States most heavily affected but in every place in this country, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers. That’s why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens. In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace as recommended by the commission headed by former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.</span>

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Trunp in a wider context racist , his policies are. His portions of the speach don’t reflect actual facts on borders too. He is demonising foreigners for his own political means. If you want to get into your usual derailment on technical meaning of racism just give up.

binners

Some ‘Very Decent People’ expressing their definitely non-racist opinions….

batfink
    Free Member

I anyone surprised that Trumps policies may be* positively affecting the economy?  He’s giving huge tax breaks to corporations and to rich American’s, he’s eroding workers rights, commercial pollution and environmental controls etc etc – of course the nasdaq/dow is going to go up.

Unfortunately it seems like your average American doesn’t understand that they themselves may not benefit from this (to the extent that the’ll need to) in order to offset what it does to their healthcare, schools etc.  Turkeys voting for Christmas.

In other news, the whole peesex thing is going to be in the headlines again soon I think….. if there’s one thing the word needs right now – its a good peesex scandal

pondo

“<span style=”background-color: #eeeeee; color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>Go on then, can somebody please explain to me what’s racist about this?”</span>

What makes you think there’s anything racist about being against illegal immigration?

batfink
    Free Member

It’s a pretty classic popularist move, no?  Blame one group for all of society’s ills…. unite the people in their hate of that minority?

If only there was an example of this being done before successfully?  Can’t think of one…..

GrahamS

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>If only there was an example of this being done before successfully?  Can’t think of one…..

</span>

enfht
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Some ‘Very Decent People’ expressing their definitely non-racist opinions….</span>

Does Obama’s black panther support make him a a black separatist too?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Imagine if you have to try so hard to defend Trump you will say anything, see

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/local/charlottesville-timeline/

Some fine people on both sides, that’s right Trump defended the White Supremacists who murdered innocent people

ninfan
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; background-color: #eeeeee;”>that’s right Trump defended the White Supremacists who murdered innocent people</span>

No, he quite literally did the opposite, go back and check, there isn’t a single statement that could in any way construed as “defending the white supremacists who murdered innocent people”

Its clear that, unlike you, he had the analytical and logical processing powers to understand that there were a variety of different people there with different aims and different beliefs, you know, like how not all Muslims are extremists and/or terrorists responsible for murdering innocent people.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    ninfan
    Free Member

Love it, you link to a New York Times <u>opinion</u> piece says that Trump is a racist and has been one for years

The most prominent US civil rights campaigner seems to have viewed things differently

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8-wRvwkt31I

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Glad you love it.  Now try reading it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So fun to watch the defenders squirming around, I’m sure they would all love to have him around for tea – well a maccas and coke.

Maybe 2018 will be his lucky year and he manages to get some legislation through if they don’t get sick before the midterms….

akira

For a guy who’s not racist he’s sure done and said a lot of racist things, maybe he thinks it means he doesn’t enter races. Cos he’s also stoopid.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

People STILL defending Turnip? Sad!

PJM1974
    Free Member

One thing that I don’t understand…

…if Trump isn’t a racist and is the least racist person you’ll ever meet, then why has he not condemned alt-right protestors in Charlottesville, including the self-proclaimed alt-right activist who killed an antifa protestor by driving over them with a car?

And whether or not you might judge the New York Times as “fake news” or not – certainly not all of the cited events are quoted in full context and it is an opinion piece (other points of view are available)- it would seem to me that racial prejudice is not exactly absent from Trump’s campaign speeches:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

So if we have a hypothetical situation whereby a sitting president is dismissive of a judge’s perceived bias because they may be of Mexican heritage (http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/article/2016/jun/08/donald-trumps-racial-comments-about-judge-trump-un/) does that then indicate that said president has tacitly acknowledged that they have indeed made comments that could be construed as racist?

CountZero

ninfan

Go on then, can somebody please explain to me what’s racist about this?

Well, if it has to be explained to you, you clearly don’t understand.

enfht
    Free Member

“<span style=”background-color: #eeeeee; color: #444444; font-size: 16px;”>Trump defended the White Supremacists who murdered innocent people”</span>

No he didn’t.

enfht
    Free Member

Are leftwing tears the never-ending fuel that we’ve all been searching for?

If only we could bottle it..

kimbers

He just said they were good people.

If you racists run over enough people enfht then yes there will be lots of tears, in not really sure what point you are trying to make tho!

Junkyard
    Free Member

he cannot admit his true views on here as he would get banned so he is left to mock anyone who does not share his ideology [ everyone basically except the good folk I assume]

I am not sad I am happy. I look at the multicultural world we have created and what we have done to Britain and its makes me so so happy – I dont even need to factor in how much he hates it #SAD.

enfht
    Free Member

Haha Kimbers so I’m a racist, am I?

That’s ripe coming from a convicted paedophile.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Are you six? Is that really the best response you can muster?

ninfan
    Free Member

“why has he not condemned alt-right protestors in Charlottesville, including the self-proclaimed alt-right activist who killed an antifa protestor by driving over them with a car?”

Yes, why hasn’t he?

oh….

ninfan
    Free Member

“<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>Well, if it has to be explained to you, you clearly don’t understand.”</span>

No, please, go on Counter, please tell me. why the quote above is racist – I’d genuinely appreciate it

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ah, hello Ninfan! Good to see you taking part old sport and playing along too.

What is your reaction to the suggestion that maybe Trump spoke out about the KKK after other foreign heads of state has expressed alarm at a domestic US situation? How would you analyse Trump’s speech in this context?

ninfan
    Free Member

“the suggestion that maybe Trump spoke out about the KKK after other foreign heads of state has expressed alarm at a domestic US situation?”

An hour ago you claimed that he hadn’t condemned them at all, now you’re claiming he only condemned them because other people made him… Your chronology seems to be a little muddled – which is it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s very impolite not to my question first.

I’ll happily respond once you’ve given us the benefit of your own view on the timing of Trump’s statement.

I admire your pedantry, if that helps?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Apologies, the timing and sincerity of Trump’s speech. I should’ve made myself clearer.

ninfan
    Free Member

Felt to me like he was just clearing up the blatant misreporting of his earlier comments (which when you read them properly were unequivocal in drawing a distinction between the peaceful protesters exercising their right to free speech and the violent, intolerant extremists from both sides.

ninfan
    Free Member

You’ll notice a clear pattern there PJM, the hysterical media reaction is almost always to what Trump is ‘perceived’ to have said or meant, with very little analysis of what his actual words were. It’s all very similar to the channel 4 Jordan b Peterson interview when you sit down and analyse it

PJM1974
    Free Member

Both sides, that’s an interesting point. If you’d allow me the indulgence, would you not agree that the protests in Charlottesville were one sided in that so far as I’m aware, none of the Charlottesville antifa protestors deliberately murdered anyone?

It’s a genuine question. Also, you haven’t commented on the passage of time between the Charlottesville protests and Trump’s statement? Would it seem to be half hearted given that Angela Merkel for example had already expressed unease?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Also, thanks for the clarity Ninfan. I’m aware of your presence in the Trump and Brexit thread, you do often make a very valid point (perception vs analysis), but is extremely hard to pin down your own view. I don’t know if it’s black and white, or nuanced or if you too secretly hold Trump’s conduct in disdain but you enjoy winding up a group of people whom you may or may not collectively identify as “lefties”?

There’s no right or wrong response to this, I just seek clarity.

ninfan
    Free Member

My comment on the timing is as above,  that he was clearing up the misreporting of the comments that were made on the day.

Regards one sided, no, they weren’t, there was violence on both sides (and peaceful protest on both sides too). The fact that (subject to what comes out at trial) one person did something either reckless, ridiculous or deliberate doesn’t weigh particularly heavy as representing murderous intent no others any more than, say, castigating all Muslims based on the actions of a few. (And remembering that ‘all muslims’ doesn’t just mean the ones coming from anarchic/violent countries (you know, shitholes))

ninfan
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;”>“I don’t know if it’s black and white, or nuanced or if you too secretly hold Trump’s conduct in disdain but you enjoy winding up a group of people whom you may or may not collectively identify as “lefties”?”</span>

nothing in in life is black and white is it? (Even the Nazis did some good stuff) everything is nuanced and complex, the simplification hysteria and polarisation, particularly (IMO) coming from the left has destroyed rational debate over recent years –  More often I’m genuinely opposed to the actual standpoint being taken here, but would admit to sometimes holding up a mirror to the ridiculousness of the STW echo chamber, because it’s sometimes so ridiculous that someone needs to.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you have to remember ninfan was originally arguing the car driver was attacked so expecting honesty from him in general, never mind his actual views, is not going to happen.
    He will pretend a little so he can get his clarkson level joke in at the end mind…it was not worth the wait and felt laboured and forced.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That’s probably the most considered response I’ve read from you in any political thread. Honestly, I thank you for that.

My own perception of Trump, based on the evidence that I’ve tried to ascertain from a diverse group of sources (Art of the Deal, media on both sides of centre, Trump’s own speeches and the reactions of GOP senators alike) I’m not convinced that his statement was genuine. I could be wrong, but given his then Chief Whitehouse Strategist’s affiliation with the alt-right movement as head of Breitbart, I was concerned that Trump’s own sources were biased. I felt that he’d taken far too long to respond to a domestic protest, until he was forced into a corner by other heads of state seeking reassurance – I’m no expert in geopolitics, but it looks bad on the world stage if the US president had to be prodded into making a statement.

This is why I stated that Trump failed to condemn the actions of alt-right protesters.

I’ll give you an example of where I’m at: earlier today I replied in social media to a friend who lives in Baltimore about Trump’s state of the union address. I made a point that we’re living in very partisan times, that labelling people according to their political viewpoint dehumanises them and perpetuates tribal politics. I lamented that the warmth between Ted Kennedy and John McCain has become a relic of the past and that we all need to find common ground.

I kid you not, the response (from a gentlemen I’m not acquainted with) began with “But you libtards…”

So with the above in mind, would you allow me the indulgence (again – I apologise) of giving your point of view as to how Trump and the GOP are doing? How does Trumpisk fit with your worldview?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Dammit – am
    prevented from a ninja exit – Trumpism.

maxtorque

You know what though, people like Nin will be the first up against the wall when Trump changes his mind about something. The poorer, less connected person can’t offer Trump anything, he only cares about money, so if you haven’t got money you are effectively worthless to him, so guess what, you get crushed under his (racist) foot when it suits him.

So don’t be surprised to wake up one morning (delete as appropriate)  behind a wall, in Guantanamo bay, choked by coal dust, underwater (global warming), or just persona non grata in Trumps swamp……

And don’t come running to me complaining, i’m rich enough to just buy my favours from him if needs be!  😉

Viewing 40 posts - 12,601 through 12,640 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.