• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • BoardinBob

I read/watched somewhere the suggestion that Mexico may as well legalize class A drugs.It could/would reduce much of their domestic drug related issues and push the responsibility squarely onto the shoulders of the US.
    That’d be an interesting **** you from Pena Nieto to Trump

US demand for cocaine and crystal meth is a far bigger driver than any demand in Mexico.

The US drug market is worth hundreds of billions. A wall does nothing to curb that

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure somebody will be along in a moment to remind us that Trump isn’t a war monger and isn’t wanting to be involved around the world….

Hopefully there are some steady hands as he has his first kick off with people actually running the country.

Senator John McCain, a torture survivor and co-author of a 2015 law barring the US security agencies from using interrogation techniques beyond those set out in the US army field manual, signalled his defiance.

“The president can sign whatever executive orders he likes. But the law is the law. We are not bringing back torture in the United States of America,” said McCain, the Arizona Republican who chairs the Senate armed services committee.

McCain referenced explicit guarantees from Pompeo and Mattis during their Senate confirmation proceedings to follow the interrogations law and the army field manual. “I am confident these leaders will be true to their word,” McCain said.
    (From the link above)

martinhutch

I am looking forward to seeing how “beautiful” it looks though, that is of course key to its success. Hope Tommy Walsh is available, would be quite a comeback episode for Ground Force.

I’m holding out for the DIY SOS special on the refurb of the Guantanamo Bay facility. Including a full ‘sensory room’ for the inhabitants.

cchris2lou

Oregon governor signed a law banning masturbation in protest at anti abortion executive order. 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

Oregon governor signed a law banning masturbation in protest at anti abortion executive order.

😆

GrahamS

Great!! This will have the lefties jumping up and down!!

I was jumping up and down about this long ago because he said as much during his campaign. Some comments here in a WP article back in Feb 2016:

“Don’t tell me it doesn’t work — torture works .. Half these guys: ‘Torture doesn’t work.’ Believe me, it works.”

In late November, Trump said at a rally in Columbus, Ohio, that he would approve the use of waterboarding “in a heartbeat” because “only a stupid person would say it doesn’t work.”

“If it doesn’t work,” Trump said, “they deserve it anyway, for what they’re doing.”

“Some people say it’s not actually torture — let’s assume it is,” Trump said. “But they asked me the question: ‘What are you going to do on waterboarding?’ Absolutely fine, but we should go much stronger than waterboarding. That’s the way I feel.”

But obviously that was all just #fakenews in the liberal MSM 🙄

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Torture has been banned not simply for ethical reasons but because it is unreliable. Under torture people potentially will (and do) say anything to stop what is happening to them. Therefore their ‘confessions’ could provide true or false information and this is why it has been banned.

Trump is displaying his ignorance with his comments.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Absolutely fine, but we should go much stronger than waterboarding.

I read the autobiography of a guy tortured by the Japanese in WW2.

He was tortured in every way imaginable, including having limbs broken.

The torture he found most harrowing was the waterboarding. Interestingly the torture that distressed his torturers the most distressing to inflict was also waterboarding.

I conclude that waterboarding is not a soft torture.

kimbers

Of course trump thinks waterboarding isnt bad

Just substitute water for urine and CIA black site interrogator for world’s finest Russian prostitutes and you have Saturday night at Trump towers !

It’s OK May will set him straight, she’s a strong supporter of human rights….

mrblobby
    Free Member

Most worrying thing in the interview re terrorist organisations is…

We’re not playing on an even field.

As far as I’m concerned we have to fight fire with fire.

😯

Though given the resources at the US’s disposal the playing field is already far from even.

GrahamS

As far as I’m concerned we have to fight fire with fire.

Yep he said as much in that article too:

“I would absolutely authorize something beyond waterboarding.”
    He called waterboarding a “minor form” of interrogation.
    On Cruz, Trump said that “he didn’t want to get involved because he thought waterboarding was bad, so — of course it’s bad, but it’s not chopping off heads, folks. Okay? That I can tell you.”
    Trump mocked Cruz for not taking a stronger stance on waterboarding. As he spoke at a rally, a woman in the audience called Cruz “a pussy” — an insult that Trump repeated to the crowd.

Original WP article is here. Worth a read.

GrahamS

Also “interesting” the way he was asked the open question by his fellow Republican in that article:

“On that whole thing of politically correct, would you allow U.S. interrogators to waterboard terrorist prisoners in order to extract information?” Herbkersman asked.

Politically Correct?

Because apparently sticking to the Geneva Convention and not committing war crimes is just political correctness gawn mad. 😯

Northwind

I’m pretty sure you could get Trump to confess to being the leader of ISIS with the right “minor form of interrogation”. It definitely works if you want to find someone guilty and you’re not too bothered if it’s the right person

At this rate there’s going to be a chapter in all modern American history books titled “Senator McCain” that starts “Remember when American politics wasn’t completely mental? John McCain remembers”

akira

Surely no reasonable person can support trump now, a man who supports torture has no place as a leader in the western world. He genuinely has no clue what he’s doing, a fact that becomes more and more obvious as each day passes. Various agencies are now setting up alternative Twitter accounts to keep information flowing out, and he’s been president less than a week.

BoardinBob

I saw this on BBC news last night and had to record it. These are the chumps that voted for him. Conveniently she seems have forgotten Mark 12:31…

https://www.facebook.com/bobmillar78/videos/10154672554216273/

outofbreath
    Free Member

“a man who supports torture has no place as a leader in the western world.”

True, but did a man who ordered an Extra Judicial Assassination in Pakistan have a place as Western leader?

richmtb

Great!! This will have the lefties jumping up and down!!

Blood lefties with their respect for human life and dignity, their rejection of unreliable interrogation methods and support for the rule of law.

Bastards the lot of them.

String em up, string em up i say!

crazy-legs

The point when even the Daily Mash satire could so easily be true…

Trump has already pressed fake nuclear button CIA gave him over a dozen times

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Blood lefties with their respect for human life and dignity, their rejection of unreliable interrogation methods and support for the rule of law.

Let’s see – human life and dignity, check. Unreliable interrogation methods, check. Rule of law, check.

Stone me! I never realised I was a “leftie”.

Wonders will never cease.

Northwind

TBH it may just be as simple as he wants to bluster but he’s confident that he’ll be prevented from ever actually doing anything. Not sure why he’d feel a need to do that at this point though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

True, but did a man who ordered an Extra Judicial Assassination in Pakistan have a place as Western leader?

Yup. And for anyone who thinks the playing field is level…

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2017/01/17/obamas-covert-drone-war-numbers-ten-times-strikes-bush/

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Not sure why he’d feel a need to do that at this point though.

Because that’s all he’s got…

cchris2lou

He also wants a weekly list of all crimes committed by immigrant, even if they are in the country legally.
    As above anyone suporting Trump has lost touch with reality.

GrahamS

Surely no reasonable person can support trump now, a man who supports torture has no place as a leader in the western world

That’s my point though – he quite openly campaigned on that point and people voted for him. More than that, they positively lapped it up!

outofbreath
    Free Member

TBH it may just be as simple as he wants to bluster but he’s confident that he’ll be prevented from ever actually doing anything.

I think that’s often the case with Trump.

DrJ

Apparently. Whereas a man who stated that it would have been preferable to have a trial does not.

BoardinBob

Simply stirring up hatred of all foreigners. The man is absolute 100% scum.

Alpha1653

The man is unbelievable. He thinks that in spite of having the world’s most capable military he can’t fight on a level playing field and instead he’s fine to resort to war crimes and defiance of the Geneva Convention?? It beggars belief.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well that’s done it. I will absolutely not be setting foot in USA for fear of being mistaken for a wrong ‘un and then tortured.
    The guy’s barking and as for anyone who attempts to defend this moron, why don’t you pop over and live there for a bit in this new Utopia?

Northwind

He’s right enough, it’s not a level playing field. Asymetric warfare isn’t it, no amount of aircraft carriers are useful against a guy driving a truck into a crowd- and no amount of dudes with bomb vests stop a tank from rolling into your capital city. Unsportingly, the baddies now refuse to get into aircraft carrier duels with the US, and they fight tanks with hostages and armies by attacking where they’re not.

And moral codes make things unequal too, fundamentally we’re at a disadvantage here- and the real kicker is, we have to make sure we always are, even when it’d be tempting to level that playing field.

But of course it’s a slippery slope, just one little torture to stop an imminent terrorist attack… Except here we’re not talking slippery slope at all, we’re talking outright moral black and white “be evil to fight evil, as a first resort”. Usually you’re worried that this stuff sneaks in at the greys.

binners

The scary thing about this, apart from the obvious fact that the bloke is clearly absolutely unhinged, is that he seems like a man just getting started, and really warming to his theme. You can just see that he;s getting more drunk on power by the day, and feels like theres nobody who can, or should, have the right to prevent him doing whatever the hell he likes

i worry that in a terrifyingly short time-frame we’re going to be viewing things like endorsing the use of torture as a quaint golden age of reason.

His attitude to international diplomacy reminds me of…

Take a look at his demeanour and posturing as he publicly signs these executive orders, and be afraid. Be very very afraid. He clearly thinks he’s some kind of Roman emperor

outofbreath
    Free Member

He’s right enough, it’s not a level playing field. Asymetric warfare isn’t it, no amount of aircraft carriers are useful against a guy driving a truck into a crowd- and no amount of dudes with bomb vests stop a tank from rolling into your capital city. Unsportingly, the baddies now refuse to get into aircraft carrier duels with the US, and they fight tanks with hostages and armies by attacking where they’re not.

And moral codes make things unequal too, fundamentally we’re at a disadvantage here- and the real kicker is, we have to make sure we always are, even when it’d be tempting to level that playing field.

+1

Apparently. Whereas a man who stated that it would have been preferable to have a trial does not.

True, although that man picked just about the only form of words possible to make his statement of that near-universally accepted fact look like advocating rabid insanity.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unsportingly, the baddies now refuse to get into aircraft carrier duels with the US, and they fight tanks with hostages and armies by attacking where they’re not.

Unsportingly the good guys now use drones to drop bombs on anyone anywhere who they think might be a threat with moral codes that don’t seem that unequal… (source)

Without the scrutiny of the legislature and the courts, and outside the public eye, Obama is authorizing murder on a weekly basis, with a discussion of the guilt or innocence of candidates for the “kill list” being resolved in secret on “Terror Tuesday” teleconferences with administration officials and intelligence officials.

The thought of what Trump might do with this very uneven playing field is more terrifying than any terrorist threat.

outofbreath
    Free Member

He clearly thinks he’s some kind of Roman emperor

He clearly thinks he’s powerless and can say what he likes and then blame Congress/Senate when it doesn’t end up as law.

Thus winning votes with Rednecks without doing any significant harm.

binners

I hope you’re right fella.

cchris2lou

What a great move by TM to be the first one to visit.
    🙄

GrahamS

He clearly thinks he’s powerless and can say what he likes and then blame Congress/Senate when it doesn’t end up as law.

Isn’t he making a lot of these changes as Executive Orders?

I don’t understand the American legal/political framework enough to know how they work but it seems like they carry some legal weight.

Anyone legally minded care to explain them?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thus winning votes with Rednecks without doing any significant harm.

Apart from the day one harm, the recruitment propaganda for is etc

outofbreath
    Free Member

Isn’t he making a lot of these changes as Executive Orders?

I don’t understand the American legal/political framework enough to know how they work but it seems like they carry some legal weight.

Anyone legally minded care to explain them?

Nor me but I was referring to torture and that has been illegal for a few years now in the states and that’s not going to change because of anything Trump has said.

Apart from the day one harm, the recruitment propaganda for is etc

Hence ‘significant’.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,761 through 4,800 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.