• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • slowoldman

I assume it’s going to hit all components and materials imported into the US for assembly there into finished products.

Pigface
    Free Member

Washington State is a very long way from Washington DC

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It will ether kill Apple or kill the people who just have to pay a higher price for their goods (all goods, not just Apple). See how many want to make America great again when they are worse off as consumers…

Apple was chosen as it’s an American company, and huge and would make the headlines if The Doughnut were to destroy it while trying to make America great. That’d be hilarious. 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Damn beat me to it Pigface !

GrahamS

He won’t kill Apple – but it does sound like his policies will put Apple at a competitive disadvantage unless they can find ways around them (or they get subsidised).

slowoldman

Surely Apple aren’t the only technology company selling into the US who manufacture outside the US? It’s going to hit everyone isn’t it (tariffs either on finished goods or components)?

akira

So either companies will make less money or people will end up paying more for products, so um win win for America.

pk13

Simply put he will try to implement his wishes it won’t happen he will tell every it has, his yes men will shout at the media for misprinting the facts and that it has.
    Sounds like a small time African despot.

*no offence to any real despots who have been doing well since the Europeans cut up the place

GrahamS

Or he’ll give them massive subsidies, big tax and changes to regulations to ensure it is viable enough in the short term.

As per his NY Times interview where he said:

I got a call from Tim Cook at Apple, and I said, “Tim, you know one of the things that will be a real achievement for me is when I get Apple to build a big plant in the United States, or many big plants in the United States, where instead of going to China, and going to Vietnam, and going to the places that you go to, you’re making your product right here.”

He said, “I understand that.”

I said: “I think we’ll create the incentives for you, and I think you’re going to do it. We’re going for a very large tax cut for corporations, which you’ll be happy about.”

But we’re going for big tax cuts, we have to get rid of regulations, regulations are making it impossible. Whether you’re liberal or conservative, I mean I could sit down and show you regulations that anybody would agree are ridiculous. It’s gotten to be a free-for-all. And companies can’t, they can’t even start up, they can’t expand, they’re choking.

I tell you, one thing I would say, so, I’m giving a big tax cut and I’m giving big regulation cuts, and I’ve seen all of the small business owners over the United States, and all of the big business owners, I’ve met so many people. They are more excited about the regulation cut than about the tax cut. And I would’ve never said that’s possible, because the tax cut’s going to be substantial. You know we have companies leaving our country because the taxes are too high. But they’re leaving also because of the regulations. And I would say, of the two, and I would not have thought this, regulation cuts, substantial regulation cuts, are more important than, and more enthusiastically supported, than even the big tax cuts.

(I’m guessing by regulations he means pesky stuff like Environmental Protection, Emissions, Employee Rights, Safety etc)

Moe

Jonathan Pie has something to say on the event!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMwjaZouNY[/video]

seosamh77
    Free Member

MSP

The only way to deal with the tax avoidance of companies like apple is through international co-operation and agreements, not isolation and trade wars.

The US can’t afford to cut its taxes any further, what services are they going to cut, education? law and order? Transport? They are already way down world charts on pretty much all essential services. Of course cutting taxes even further might give a short term boost, until the next guy in the oval office has to deal with the problem of an expending uneducated workforce who can’t get to the rare jobs that survive.

ps. How many people have posted that Pie bloke video, FFS!

GrahamS

Spicer’s second press conference is being streamed on Facebook Live at the moment – I get the feeling it’s not quite convincing people…

Someone (in the comments) just called him “the American version of Comical Ali” 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

He’s actually been fairly cordial on this, been watching it for the last 15 minutes or so. interesting enough.

GrahamS

Christ, he just said “I think sometimes we can disagree with the facts”.

He semi-retracted his figures on Metro ride figures for actual attendance, but is sticking with the most watched inauguration line with the proviso that you add up 31 million on TV plus the uncountable live streams, Facebook posts, YouTube, …

seosamh77
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Christ, he just said “I think sometimes we can disagree with the facts”.

Honestly there’s more interesting stuff. And in context, what he actually said wasn’t as controversial as your post sounds.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting first press conference. First one I have ever watched all the way through.

Fascinating to see some of the spin headlines appearing (eg Independent) which differ from the tone of what I am hearing

Trade. Bilaterals are the focus hence cancelling Trans Pacific deal. Looking at NAFTA and has spoken to Canada and Mexico. German jounalist asked about the EU as the “largest trading block” got a bit of a non-answer but the bilateral point goes against focusing on a deal with the EU.

ninfan
    Free Member

Fascinating to see some of the spin headlines appearing (eg Independent) which differ from the tone of what I am hearing

Watching it too – that type of nonsense pretty much proves his point doesn’t it.

chewkw
    Free Member

I see the President Trump inauguration audience count has been blown away now to be replaced by new headline:
    iPhone maker Foxconn signals $7bn US investment 😆

That President Trump bloke must be very persuasive. 😛

jambalaya – Member
    I think Trump is (quite rightly) unimpressed with the press coverage he got during the campaign. I do think he’s going to sideline many traditional media outlets. If Zuckerberg does that he’s part of the modern information and tech revolution. Twittr, Facebook and news websites, why not prioritise those.

I can’t wait to see traditional press getting hammered in the digital interweb era. This will truly challenge the way information is consumed especially when President Trump starts to confront the traditional media head on his way.

The media did not do themselves favour by shooting themselves in their own feet when they gang-banged the President Trump during his campaign to be President. Those people feeding the information or researching the information who are they? They should all be fired tbh coz they just discredited their jobs. 😆 Now the media will just have to reap what they sow. The media has a fight on their hands and I bet they will fight to the end because they will soon be cornered. Both sides will hammer each other to the hilt and the winner takes all. Should be fun to see the media hammered because they are so “correct” … 😆

Yes, those reporters need to work their socks off if they want to retain their jobs. If they try to be partisan etc they will get hit hard which they should. I have a feeling some news corporation will merge soon as the smaller ones will no longer be able to sustain themselves if their rating get hammered.

I also foresee individual reporter making their own news … 😆

Moe – Member
    Jonathan Pie has something to say on the event!

That angry bloke Pie is very angry innit. He should say something new coz he is not entertaining at all apart from delivering his views in British English … 😆 Try the Ozzie bloke commenting on the weather report he is 100 times better. :mrgreen:

kimbers

Trade. Bilaterals are the focus hence cancelling Trans Pacific deal. Looking at NAFTA and has spoken to Canada and Mexico. German jounalist asked about the EU as the “largest trading block” got a bit of a non-answer but the bilateral point goes against focusing on a deal with the EU

and the dollar starts to fall as parochialism begins to grip ….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Watching it too – that type of nonsense pretty much proves his point doesn’t it.

I think it’s probably one of those situations where people will simply hear and believe what they want, irrespective of facts.

cchris2lou

He certainly tried to be more friendly with the press but the content of his answers was very empty.

jimw
    Free Member

Fascinating to see some of the spin headlines appearing (e.g. Independent) which differ from the tone of what I am hearing

Perhaps because you are focusing on your perspective and hearing what you want to?

check out the New York times”s live comment stream and you might find another perspective
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/23/us/politics/spicer-white-house-briefing-live.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

jambalaya
    Free Member

and the dollar starts to fall as parochialism begins to grip ….

That’s good for the US as like the UK they are a net importer. Look at US stock market it’s been strong since Trump was elected. He will be good for US business. Ne wants to reduce imports and a lower $ helps that.

Kimbers you have got to get away from notion that a lower currency is necessarily bad. It depends.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spicer, ” Sometimes we disagree with the facts”

Enough said.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cchris2lou – Member
    He certainly tried to be more friendly with the press but the content of his answers was very empty.

Not really tbh, I describe it as tentative tbh.. It’s the first day, substance is likely to be thin. Governments are an evolving and reactionary thing, on that basis, I really do think people need to look at all this at face value(which will take longer than day 1) and then form opinion based on actions. Anything else is really just hysteria tbh.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Spicer, ” Sometimes we disagree with the facts”

Enough said.

If you’re a tabloid headline writer, perhaps.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“Now is the time to develop a new trade policy that helps working families, not just multinational corporations. If President Trump is serious about a new policy to help American workers then I would be delighted to work with him.”

“For the past 30 years, we have had a series of trade deals … which have cost us millions of decent-paying jobs and caused a ‘race to the bottom’ which has lowered wages for American workers”[/b]

– Former Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders who quite rightly, and very loudly, denounced Trump as a bully and a demagogue.

If Bernie Sanders can now publicly declare that he would be delighted to work with Trump to help ordinary American workers achieve a better quality of life, then some people should perhaps consider reassessing their determination to see Trump impeached in favour of a Mike Pence presidency – a truly horrific scenario imo.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Now Americans will simply have to pay more for lower quality goods. How does that help the low paid??

Protectionism is no panacea

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    ?

He ment facts as people believed them, facts in that sense are often ambiguous.

It’s lazy sensationalism to just jump on that.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I really do think people need to look at all this at face value(which will take longer than day 1) and then form opinion based on actions. Anything else is really just hysteria tbh.”

I agree. FFS, Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize on day 4. Premature? I think so. You can’t judge these things so early.

…and the bar is pretty low for Trump. If he doesn’t Nuke China he’ll have far exceeded expectations.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s lazy sensationalism to just jump on that.

Yeah I took it as meaning that not everyone necessarily agrees with what the facts are, a fair comment which I’m sure most people would agree with.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Now Americans will simply have to pay more for lower quality goods. How does that help the low paid??”

…because they’ll be paid to make the goods in the USA.

…if it works.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No wonder politics is in the mess its in Joe!

The post truth world summed up perfectly!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😯

Let’s hope the poor believe that as “fact” ????

Sadly history suggests that they will be disappointed

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Obama got a Nobel Peace Prize on day 4. Premature? I think so.

Why……because Obama then went on to approve US military action in Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Libya, Somalia and Syria and backed Saudi Arabia’s intervention in Yemen?

Yeah, the Peace Prize was probably a little premature.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I was thinking of the Extra judicial killings on foreign soil, but either way I think Obama’s Nobel Prize is a good example of the folly of judging Politicians at the very beginning of their term. That’s why I mentioned it.

akira

Bernie Sanders is probably very aware that in all likelihood the people who are going to benefit most from trump’s presidency are billionaire white men. I’d love it if trump helped out the poor and the needy but unless he has a complete change of character then it seems unlikely.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Interesting first press conference. First one I have ever watched all the way through.

Trade. Bilaterals are the focus hence cancelling Trans Pacific deal. Looking at NAFTA and has spoken to Canada and Mexico. German jounalist asked about the EU as the “largest trading block” got a bit of a non-answer but the bilateral point goes against focusing on a deal with the EU.

Jamby, honestly, I ask this as someone who doesn’t think that you are wrong all the time – you actually make some decent points sometimes – and I don’t particularly like the ridicule aimed at you sometimes.

But and this is a big but, how as a free marketeer and fellow libertarian meritocracist (I’ve got the distinct impression that you are) – how, just how, can you defend Trumps protectionism? Can you please enlighten me?

If you were truly principled on you anti-EU stance, that it discriminates against people from outside the EU and is protectionist/corrupt, then surely you should be arguing for the rights of the other 6 billion people on this planet to live in a true free market whereby they can compete with us.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.