Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Doing your first Megavalanche for 2010 – advice needed?
  • Faceman
    Free Member

I'm thinking of entering a series of DH Enduros this summer but need some tips.

In terms of riding do you need to be a high level amateaur/pro? I'm a cross country guy but enjoy the descents in areas like Surrey Hills.

Also I don't have loads of cycling related buddies, and do most of my riding alone, just wondered what a good way would be to hook up with others who are thinking of doing this race? I'm Surrey based but would love to hook up with someone who wants to challenge themseleves this 2010.

the_lecht_rocks

alpe d'huez is somewhat steeper and rockier than the surrey hills mate.
    perhaps come up here to scotland and get some practice first ?
    no need to be a pro – just enthusiastic 😀

Faceman
    Free Member

Cheers the_lecht_rocks

Yeah I'd love to try Scotland, be great to do Fort Bill and McMoab, slight problem is that I don't drive. Basically I've been drawn to do some DH Enduros 'cos I really need something to aim for riding wise. Just need a real challenge so that I have something to train for. Was hoping to do two weeks of DH enduro in July and then squeeze in a week of surfing somewhere before heading back to London to resume office life.

I don't drive so doing Scotland is tricky. I'm pretty sure I'll try and organise a weekend or something. Just got back into riding and I'm trying to find my feet again.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I'm sure you'll be fine. As long as you are a competent rider then your skills learned in Surrey will be just as relevant in the Alps. The Alps are, er, bigger, but the challenge is the fun, no? As far as meeting riders, I'm sure there must be people even on this forum from Surrey who are doing the mega. Maybe some of them will be along shortly.

Northwind

"Yeah I'd love to try Scotland, be great to do Fort Bill and McMoab, slight problem is that I don't drive. "

Train to fort william, ride to nevis range, sorted. I'm told that the nevis red has similiarities in riding and steepness, and it's the longest sustained tech descent in the UK. Nothing like as high so you'll not get any altitude conditioning though. If you book well in advance, the trains aren't too expensive, it'd probably be a very good set-up for the mega.

Oh, and a load of upper body exercises! Everyone complains of arm pump, UK cyclists generally don't work their upper bodies very hard, slow pressups to failure was how I trained for motorbike racing and the arm pressures are, I think, going to be pretty similiar.

Taz

The Fort William red is actaully a good comparison in terms of type of riding. However you need to be ready for a very long descent and that really hurts the upper body.

Most people out there are good, competent riders. You occasionally see the odd person who is out of their depth but overall the range is from pro through to decent (though not exceptional) 'have a go' heros.

It is a great event. Back in 2011 I think.

Try and do some uplift days in the UK before hand if you can (not essential but it will help) and get some upper body workouts into your routine.
    Enjoy!

Faceman
    Free Member

When you guys say Fort Bill, do you mean the official World Cup track or the new sligtly easier route that's just been built. I def don't think I'm ready to do the World Cup track.

I'll start training in the next few weeks and let's see how goes. The inspiration behind it is that I'm just looking for a sense of adventure.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

You should be able to manage the WC track – just don't aim for 6 mins. Start on the 'Red' though.

IA

If you can't ride the WC track, you'll struggle at the mega. The WC track aint hard – it's just long, and hard to go very fast. Aim more for 10 minutes than 6…

Also try some full runs of the WC track (no stopping). If you can't do that, work on upper body strength for the mega!

hora
    Free Member

Get yourself over to:

Tilgate
    Rogate?
    Chicksands

But also- you need rocky descents? No trail centres but mostly Lakes weekenders as a group IMO. I'm DH'er but I would make sure your doing the above now if your riding the Mega!!!

HansRey

ride down snowdon, in under 25minutes, down the bridleway

hora
    Free Member

I'm DH'er but I would make sure your doing the above now if your riding the Mega!!!

That should read I'm NO DH'er!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Doing your first Megavalanche for 2010 – advice needed?’ is closed to new replies.