Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Doing a night biking course on Thursday any tips?
  • organic355
    Free Member

1st time for me. Will I quickly realise that i dont like pitch black forests and things that go bump in the night. I will have to take my mind off the fact thre were some murders in said forest, all be it in the 70s!

Trails arent paricularly technical so it should be a laugh. Do i need to save up for a Maxx-D now as I will be hooked?

wallace1492
    Free Member

If you are heading onto a particularly steep section with lots of trees and have just stopped for a chat, and have switched off one of your lights, remember that when setting off onto said steep tree filled section to switch the other light ON before you head off rather than switch OFF the light that is on as you plunge into the trees…

Trekster

Got a small back-up head torch?
    Have a practice at removing a wheel, removing tyre/tube aka sorting a puncture 😆
    Map reading and knowing where you are 🙄
    The guys on my course just looked at me. Having 30yrs hiking and biking experience in the area we were taken to maybe had something to do with it 💡

Trails arent paricularly technical so it should be a laugh. Do i need to save up for a Maxx-D now as I will be hooked?

Nothing to do with your stw riding god prowess, more to do with being able to lead, navigate, know where you are, where you are going, have an emergency plan/back-up and what to do in an emergency. All TCL type stuff but done in the dark.
    Lights wise I had a couple of Fenix torches and a mate had a home made contraption made up of some railway lighting gear 😯 Did the job tho. It is not about the Lumens but how you use them…..

wl
    Free Member

WTF? Night biking course? LOL.

akak
    Free Member

I think the OP is talking about the exposure lights demo ride with Astounding adventures?

derekrides
    Free Member

Don’t put the helmet light on top of the helmet, branches rip it and you off your bike, put it universal soldier style on the side.. It also looks way cooler.

Oh and Max D is ok, but they make an even bigger one now, I ride with a joystick on the helmet and a Max D on the bars.

xcgb
    Free Member

Its a bit like riding a bike only darker!

DezB
    Free Member

Its a bit like riding a bike only darker!

Not with the 1000s of lumens folk ride with these days!

binners

Don’t get pre-occupied with the rustling in the bushes around you. There’s no such things as monsters. Or werewolves. Or aliens who wait in bushes to abduct passing cyclists. And tigers rarely escape from zoos. Honest!

organic355
    Free Member

I think the OP is talking about the exposure lights demo ride with Astounding adventures?

no nothing so flash.

Ancrum outdoor activity centre course in (surrounding forests of) Dundee.

xcgb
    Free Member

Don’t get pre-occupied with the rustling in the bushes around you. There’s no such things as monsters. Or werewolves. Or aliens who wait in bushes to abduct passing cyclists. And tigers rarely escape from zoos. Honest!

Its the escaped axe murderers i always worry about!

akak
    Free Member

Shame…don’t really have any useful tips then 💡 take a big jumper to leave in the car so you don’t get cold before/after.

Trekster

wl – Member
    WTF? Night biking course? LOL.

This 💡
    night riding

derekrides
    Free Member

binners – Member

You want to try riding with us at night through the Zoo Park, a real test of your nerves, animal sound wise.. 😯

binners

Night riding improves your general riding no end. Theres stuff I’ve ridden down after dark, where I’ve gone back in daylight and said “I’m not riding down that!!!!! Are you insane?!!!!”

You just focus on the beam of light in front of you, without looking ahead, and potentially bottling it. I should quantify this by adding that this has led to more than one trip to A&E over the years 😳

rugbydick

any tips?

Take lights, they will be invaluable.

br
    Free Member

A light on the bars and another on the helmet create a shadow, so seeing ruts and the like.

Toro on the bars and Joystick on the helmet here, but tbh the Toro doesn’t really have a wide enough beam for the twisty’s…

Trekster

smudge/mtb batteries on the bar and a Fenix torch on the lid.
    “any tips?” Remember to take your glasses if you need them for reading 🙄
    Glasses, clear or yellow lenses are recommended for riding at night.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Doing a night biking course on Thursday any tips?’ is closed to new replies.