Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Dogs why do they roll in……………
  • bruneep

other animals Sh1te?

And he looked so pleased himself as well. not a pleasant drive home.

feking pooch Grrrr.

Drac

Because to them they smell good.

brakes
    Free Member

doggie poofume

Pigface
    Free Member

Ha ha my old dog used to find fox crap everywhere, is there a worse smell. Luckily where we walked was a stream and he was a fool for swimming, wet dog smell way better than eau de Raynard.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

They do it to mask their own smell – instinctive habits for when dogs would hunt. Our dog has rolled around in the dead body of a rabbit that had been slowly decomposing in the field whilst been baked by the hot summer sun. That has got to be the worst smell EVER.

goon
    Free Member

Is there a worse smell.

Yes, there is. Decomposing fox. Our dalmatian of years ago was caught roling a in a fox corpse. We were retching as we walked him home. Despite several baths his white fur was stained green, yellow and brown until he moulted the hairs out.

**shudders at the memory**

anagallis_arvensis

For fox shite, rub in some tomato ketchup, tesco value is fine, leave for a few mins then bath as normal.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

Yeah my Patterdale terrier loves it.

Like NW Alps Jeyer aka Boz said. It's instinct to mask their smell when hunting.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

How about badger shite … Dennis the lurcher has discovered the joys of it, after numerous baths he still stinks.

Drac

For fox shite, rub in some tomato ketchup, tesco value is fine, leave for a few mins then bath as normal.

I found just a bath worked.

zaskar
    Free Member

Last time I pet/pat a friends dog.

tang
    Free Member

we use hp sauce for fox crap. works a treat.

anagallis_arvensis

the tom sauce seems to get the smell out rather than mask it like shampoos do

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Why? Because they can.

Try it, it might be great.

DezB
    Free Member

Ooh, yeah our old collie cross used to roll in any old sh1t. Long matted fur, grim.
    Maybe thats why we got a short-haired pointer. Easy to clean 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Whilst grateful for these ketchup/HP sauce tips for my lab who also likes to roll in shite, how do people find these things out?

kimbers

wolves do it
    smear themselves in the shit of their prey so they can sneak up on them better with their own smell masked

dogs bred for hunting, tracking, gun dogs etc still retain the old ancestral urges

my parents westie delights in turning her white fluffy coat all shades of brown

anagallis_arvensis

my mum told me, i think it may be the slight acidity that helps

mogrim

TBH I find my dog's habit of eating cat s**t to be worse.

Drac

Like I say never had a problem using normal shampoo to clean it out, why not add some vinger to the mix instead of sauce if it's for the acidity.

anagallis_arvensis

doubt the dog would like vinegar on it but never seems bothered by ketchup

Drac

The tiny amount it would take I doubt it'll notice mixed in with Head and Shoulders.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Sam my Huntaway has a permanent odour of Foxshit. The worse thing he rolled in once was a dead seal on the beach in Norfolk 😯

Drac

Mother in Law's dog like dead seals as her choice of perfume, honks. For that she uses reggae reggae sauce with a touch lea and perrins.

anagallis_arvensis

might not work though, its just my pet theory that its the acidity. the ketchup is also good to use when i put it on her leave for 5-10 mins then chuck her in a river. Can save putting the stnking hound in the car.

teagirl
    Free Member

Whilst walking round our local reservoir this morning my pooch found a very dead gull. Carried it another 45mins home and dumped it in my garden. I'm just about to don the gardening gloves and dispose of it.. My dog was amazingly proud of his find!

Oh, and he just loves other dogs, sheeps, rabbits sh*t!

brakes
    Free Member

so here's another doggie question…
    why when you've bathed a dog does it run around the house like a headless chicken with it's arse on fire?

anagallis_arvensis

no idea, but mine jumps the sofa and does laps.

Drac

why when you've bathed a dog does it run around the house like a headless chicken with it's arse on fire?

**** knows my terrier use to do that as soon as feet touched the floor he was off.

teagirl
    Free Member

Following a bath, my dogs run round the garden then wriggle on their backs in whatever muck they can find! What's the point!

mickasaki
    Free Member

IS it more wrong for your dog to be so interested in its own waste? If im ever to lazy to de-poo the back garden one night, the following morning he spends ages giving his own whoopsies a thorough inspection! As for bathing him, its like cage fighting in there!

duckman

A couple of years ago there was a whale carcass on one of local beaches for a while,council couldn't get to it to drag/bury. Seeing the dog disapear into in one end of it and come out the other kind of made me all nostalgic for the smell of fox crap.Second/third the tom sauce tip tho'

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

I'm impressed by anyone that can give their dog a bath.

I would not even attempt it with our springer !

We have had to give our springers showers
    One of them rolled in a well dead badger once, the stench put me offf my pint.
    3 showers later back too the beer.

emac65
    Free Member

My old dog(boxer)used to love horse crap.Didn't roll in it,just liked eating it,infact she used to foam at the mouth for the stuff.She was also quite fond of licking cowpats…..

freeridenick
    Free Member

My parents Italian Spinoni used to eat Horse toenails after the Farrier had been!!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Rotting salmon* is our dog's favourite…

*died after spawning, and pecked at by the birds

cynic-al
    Free Member

the stench put me offf my pint.

That made me LOL

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

took the dog for a walk up the campsies this morning and she was hoovering sheep shit pellets as she trotted along like a whale sieving plankton – I did contemplate whether I could deter her using maltesers spiked with wasabi, but it doesn't seem to do her any harm. She seems to love the taste of horseshit as well – gobbles up as much as she can before I chase her away from it.

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – mine once managed to get right inside a huge, very dead ewe and completely cover himself with the stench of death, but fox poo is deffo the worst. He gets an outdoor hosing to get the worst of it out of his long, fluffy fur, then a shower – if we try and bath him we end up with fox cr@p all over the walls and ourselves. At least in the shower we can contain him….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Dogs why do they roll in……………’ is closed to new replies.