• This topic has 120 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Dog suggestions
  • Amos
    Free Member

So the mrs is very keen on getting a mutt, as is my 4 year old. Inevitably I’ll end up walking him/her which I don’t mind too much as I’ll go for a run or ride with it.

My parents have a springer spaniel and I’m fully aware how much exercise they require, the mrs’ job and mine don’t allow that level of exercising! So I need some dog breed suggestions. Something not too big, is good with kids and enjoys running but isn’t as mental as spaniel!! Is this too much to ask?

Ta

bentos
    Free Member

Labrador. It will be a bit hyper while its a pup but after that they are ace.

matt_outandabout

This should fit the billl7
    😉

anagallis_arvensis

lurcher, they love sleeping and running fast but mostly sleeping

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Border Terrier (if you can live with the hair sheading)

June 24th – Archie On Tour by Johnclimber

jonahtonto
    Free Member

black labrador (bitch). honestly iv had loads of dogs, some working, some pets and also train all my mates dogs. labs are a great modern house dog, chilled at home, reliable, but fun when out. as above full of beans when pups then very chilled.
    lurchers are great but it depends on the dog how snappy they are (kids?)

kerv
    Free Member

Border terrier. Fantastic dog, will run all day. Ours has been out twice with me today and now curled up next to me on the sofa.
    Edit- johnclimber beat me to it!

john-charles
    Free Member

If you want a calm, intelligent and healthy dog your best bet is not to go for a pedigree at all. Go for a mongrel with as wider gene pool in him/her as possible

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive never had a border terrier though so maybe im missing out

steveo48
    Free Member

yep!!
    Poodle, pug, chihuahua, in your handbag, you’ll look great with any of these!

landcruiser
    Free Member

Scottish Terrier… a smallish dog that a man can walk without recrimination ! Ours is a great dog, and not too mad or overly demanding.

adilc123
    Free Member

Get a black labrador, mine’s great, a little crazy but loves kids.

Adil.

derekrides
    Free Member

W hatever you do, don’t get a Doberman, they’re a total nightmare. Best bike dog I ever had was a German Shepherd, he’d take a five bar in one bound.
    Don’t buy a beagle you can never let them off the lead. Labradors tell the world your soft.

Jack Russell’s can be cool wish I had one, currently looking at a pincher to try and calm the delinquent dobey down.

Rot ties are ok, can stink a bit, but theyre good loyal family dogs we miss our old boy who died recently.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

^ true about mongrel’s health wise,(ive a lab cross sitting next to me now) but i would pick the gene pool wisely iv had some experience with some big and unpredictable heinz 57s that ive taken in as rescues when owners couldnt cope/trust. not for beginner’s imho

steveo48
    Free Member

On a serious note! We’ve got a beagle, great with kids, lots of character, the missus works at the Blue Cross in Burford and could give you some pointers.

landcruiser
    Free Member

resisted a pointer comment !

Amos
    Free Member

Cheers steve, however considering from where you’ve just returned you’ve probably unknowingly consumed most of the breeds you suggested! 😉

SaxonRider

[wannabe dog owner] Norwegian Elkhound. End of.

I have no idea what they’re like as pets, but they are the perfect dog. Simply perfect. [/wannabe dog owner]

donsimon
    Free Member

Put the prejudices to one side and go and visit some well kept Staffordshires, only the ignorant think they’re dangerous. They are very friendly, they adore children, get a good one that will like a good run and or sit on the hearth, top dogs.

steveo48
    Free Member

That chicken was a bit chewy!!
    As you’ve borrowed a bike for the last 4 weeks, i can do the same deal with our dog! But dont tell the missus!

Lucas
    Free Member

Lab Collie cross – you’ll have the intelligence of a collie and the temperament of a lab. Elmo, my dog, is ace – comes running a biking with me, soft as shite and very cleaver and therefore trainable

Cute as a puppy:

handsome as a grown up:

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive got a massive labradoodle in the house at the mo and hes great except its really embarrassing when people ask what type of dog he is. ive considering saying welsh-wolfhound instead.
    lab collie cross is very nice, best of two great dogs

jonahtonto
    Free Member
    Amos
    Free Member

Does she steve? That’s handy to know! Might drop over and see t
    You, like beagles but fooking noisey aren’t they? Love the lab idea but worried they are a little big we live in a 2 bed garden flat, has extensive gardens though so I gues would be fine

steveo48
    Free Member

They have a website that you can view.

busydog
    Free Member

I have 2 female labradoodles, one large (68 lbs)and the other medium (40 lbs) and, IMHO, absolutely great dogs. I have had a lot of dogs over a lifetime, and the Doods are the best I’ve ever had—Mrs. Busydog is pushing to get a third (says the woman who doesn’t take them walking at 6AM and clean up after them in the yard).

Playful, good with people/kids, gentle and very smart–almost too smart. The one aspect of the lab in them is they will pick up everything they can find laying about, especially sticks.

Like Jonash Tonto said, the larger ones really do resemble a wolfhound, especially the first generation who tend to have longer, wavy fur compared to the F2 or F3 who usually have a tigher, curly coat.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Get down the rescue centre, and find a rescue dog which fits the bill. The dogs trust is brilliant and will help you.

My boys, both rescue.

DSC_21711590 by Evil Goat, on Flickr

julioflo
    Free Member

I’m a very biased Border Terrier owner.
    He bit the crap out of my wife and I through his 1st 4 months!. He is now 14 months and on the whole he is very loyal and great with our 2.5 year old niece and 1 year old nephew. He seems to know to take it easy with them and just sits down when they are near.

We both work, but he gets 2 – 3 30-40 min walks per day, probably 3 times a weeks one of those is a 45min jog and this certainly seems enough for him.

I also recommend puppy training classes for whatever type of dog you end up with.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive gone off on a google tangent and now think you should get a Puli and they look hysterical – http://zedimi.com/2011/03/12/flying-mops/
    you could call it easycrew

jonahtonto
    Free Member

busydog ive just weighed harry the ‘welsh-wolf-hound-labradoodle’ and hes 84 llbs ha ha – hes not fat at all, he does whytes with us- hes just huuuugggggeeeee

hexhamstu
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

How about a Rhodesian ridgeback? As long as they get an hour/hour and a half exercise a day ( when fully grown) they mostly sleep the rest of the time. Sorry for the cut and paste

The Rhodesian Ridgeback actually developed in South Africa, not Zimbabwe.  Beginning in the 16th century, Mastiffs, Bloodhounds and Terriers emigrated with European settlers and mated with half-wild native hunting dogs in their new homes.  Difficult conditions selected only the strongest, bravest and most heat-tolerant dogs for survival.  In small packs, Ridgebacks can successfully hunt lions. A strip of hair across the back grows in the opposite direction of the golden-red coat and forms the distinct ridge.  As pets today, the dogs require space and exercise, but display quiet dispositions and a fondness for children. 
    Here’s our boy, Rogue:

bruk

If you haven’t got time to exercise springers then stay away from other working dogs like collies too as they need a lot of stimulation

Try a Tibetan terrier. Not really a terrier. about 12 kg and knee height, our is great with the 1 year old and the cats. Don’t get many health issues.

Ours is more than happy to laze around when needed but will go for miles walking, probably too wee to go any distance after a bike at any speed but then most dogs that fit 95% of your lifestyle will struggle tocharge around after a bike for 2 hours too.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If that ridgeback is so well behaved why does it have some sort of strangulation device attached to it?

Oxboy
    Free Member

What a child?

hexhamstu
    Free Member
    Oxboy
    Free Member

A collar? I’m not with you Hex

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Hex go back to reading your daily mail 🙄

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Go back to strangling your dog.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

[/quote]http://www.pawfectpetstore.co.uk/images/16238f.jpg

Wow, a dog on a choker, I wouldn’t put a puppy on one but there are plenty of adult dogs that need them for control.
    You may think its inhuman but if you were wearing the collar then you would learn a lot quicker than a mut.

Chin chin.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Dog suggestions’ is closed to new replies.