Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dog owners – Advice needed ……
  • letmetalktomark

We have a year old Dachshund that is soon to be joined by a new puppy (six weeks old from the same parents)

We have had mixed advice from folk on how long to keep them appart for i.e. at night/when left unattended.

Each dog will have a sectioned off area from which they will be able to see one another but unless gate is opened will not be able to interact.

Some have said to keep them seperateted (as above) for 6 months, some 4 months and others just a few nights.

Each dog will have its own soft crate which would in fact fit two dogs if they both get on well.

So what are your experiences?

jam-bo

they'll sort themselves out pretty quick.

TooTall
    Free Member

So what are your experiences?

men that have Dachshunds let their wife / kids decide what sort of dog to have.
    men that walk Dachshunds wish they had a different dog.

Sorry – that didn't help.

Put the dogs together when supervised to decide what to do when unsupervised. If you perpetuate with each having their own fenced off territory, you increase the chances of them being territorial. You want them to share the space, not reinforce each having their own.

Drac

Me I've always chucked them in the mix they sort it out themselves, can't see the sense in keeping them separate for 6 months that will just create their territories.

Becca
    Free Member

We introduced our dogs, supervised them whilst they sorted it out dog style (sniffing, growling, licking etc) and then decided based on what happened. Ours got on fine so we didn't separate them at all, though they did have separate beds (they never used one!).

If they don't get on and the older dog is aggressive to the pup then you will have to see how long it takes the behaviour to alter and make a decision as you go. Be aware that keeping them separate and giving attention to the pup may make the older dog more inclined to not accept it.

Regardless of the outcome of their first meeting I cannot see why it should be more than a few nights and 4-6 months sounds excessive.

hora
    Free Member

Just to rewind abit. What is your relationship like with your Dach'? Is one of you strict/the clear leader of the pack or are you quite lax/spoiling?

BoardinBob

As Hora's alluding to, as long as you're the pack leader, the other two will sort themselves out

letmetalktomark

TooTall – Member

men that have Dachshunds let their wife / kids decide what sort of dog to have.
    men that walk Dachshunds wish they had a different dog.

Sorry – that didn't help.

😆

😆

😆

Wife did decide but I wouldn't change a thing. Feisty buggers though – keep the garden, parks, town clear of all vermin 😆

She is affectionately know as the cleaner 😯

At 6' 3'' and about 100kg I do get a few funny looks walking her – but that does not concern me in the slightest.

Current dog at 6 months or so

letmetalktomark

BoardinBob – Member

As Hora's alluding to, as long as you're[b]the wife[/b] is the pack leader, the other two will sort themselves out

They have met (last night) and gotten on fine. We collect the new dog Friday 😯

hora
    Free Member

Awwwwwwwwww

if one of you is a clear pack leader then neither will want to overstep.

There will be a snap and a snarl- thats just adjusting. Dont be tense or alarmed – that will tense up the atmosphere and the dogs. Just chill 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

They shouldn't do a thing if you establish you're the pack leader!

letmetalktomark

hora – Member

Awwwwwwwwww

You should see the new one 😉 😳

Cheers for the advice folks. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Just wait until the 'they aren't pack animals' wet sops arrive and tell you to train them with kindness and not through fear.

soobalias
    Free Member

shut it tootall, i dont remember anyone saying you could speak!

jimster
    Free Member

Leave them to it.

We've recently taken in a Springer as well as having an Airedale and a Labrador – started off by introducing them in a neutral area on a couple of occasions, then the Springer was dropped off took them all out for a walk and when we returned let our dogs lead the way in.

They all sleep in the same room together with no problem.

If they have a tussle let them sort it out themselves – they're trying to establish hierachy in the "pack" after you of course and they're showing off to you. When on their own they have no-one to show off to* so sleep.

*I dread getting home at lunchtime in case on of the dogs has an ear missing.

anagallis_arvensis

'they aren't pack animals'

they are not and neither are they wolves which also dont have a pack structure

anagallis_arvensis
    TooTall
    Free Member

Wife did decide but I wouldn't change a thing.

Of course not. Dear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners – Advice needed ……’ is closed to new replies.