Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dog Bite, what to do?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

So, went out for a spin up Castle Coch. Did the ridgeway ride and was making my way back through the lanes when out of no where a big Alsatian can barking out of the woods. It came up parallel with me and to a snap at my left leg!
    OHHH! I shouted, which seemed to do the trick and it sprinted off back to where ever it came from.
    I hung about to see if i could locate its owner, but couldn’t find anyone.
    On getting home I realised its quite bad, 3 big puncture wounds where the canines entered and loads of smaller ones.

My question is this, Do I need to do anything other than just give it a good wash, stop the bleeding and keep and eye on it. Or should I be looking for jabs etc. I’ll give NHS direct a call tomo and see what they say.

Anyone else had any bites? What did you do? or is there a doctor in the house?

Cheers

Mantastic
    Free Member

Get your tetanus booster done by going to see your GP

Flaperon

Wash it and encourage it to bleed.

Visit GP for 7 day antibiotic course.

sweepy
    Free Member

You could rub some cream on it, you’d have to catch it first tho 🙂

Cougar

Wash it and encourage it to bleed.

The bite or the dog? (-:

You need a tetanus shot if you’ve not had one in the last ten years.

neninja
    Free Member

I guess the standard would be to get it properly cleaned and dressed, tetanus jab if not up to date and possibly antibiotics as bites tend to carry loads of nasties.

donsimon
    Free Member

Dog Bite, what to do?

Jump up and down on the spot shouting F+++! F+++! F+++!
    Otherwise clean and tetanus.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well as I understand it all saliva always contains a great deal of bacteria. But I wouldn’t be unduly worried if a dog licked an open cut on someone. Obviously in the case of a bite the bacteria has the possibility to penetrate much deeper so I guess it depends how deep the puncture was. Tetanus jab would seem a good idea anyway as it will give you further protection if you happen to receive any injuries in the future.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Just go to the docs….

a course of antibiotics won’t hurt.

Kuco

If you have had 5 tetanus shots in your life time you don’t need anymore.

Agree about the antibiotics goto your gp or minor injury clinic.

I was bit last year and had two rather deep puncture wounds and washed it immediately with clean water out of my camelbak and cleaned it up better once I got home and covered it up. Then I popped into the minor injury clinic the following day and had it looked at and was given a course of antibiotic.

When I apologised to the rather nice doctor that I felt like I was wasting their time she said I did the right thing in getting it checked out and getting a course of antibiotics.

totalshell

to be on the safe side, i d nip out the garage then in the garden find a bit of old stick. pop the stick in your mouth ( sideways) then taking a deep breath half a dozen positive strokes with the hacksaw from the garage and you ll have no more worries from your dog bite. tourniquet and wait for the ambulance.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Was it frothing at the mouth? You probably have rabies now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Go to doctors, and also report to the Police.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Amazed nobody has launched a passionate defence of the dog yet or suggested that you abandon all other commitments whilst conducting a house-to house search of all local municipalities until you find it.

kayak23

Are you certain it wasn’t a badger?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Not wearing full body armour?
    The it’s all your own fault!!

Now get back out there, find the dog and bite it back.

anagallis_arvensis

Poor dog. I suggest after you have taken totalshells advice you find the dog and give it your foot and ankle as a tasty treat.

Tom83

kayak23 – Member

Are you certain it wasn’t a badger?

It’d be a honey badger if it was Alsatian colours!

butcher

Well as I understand it all saliva always contains a great deal of bacteria.

Interestingly a dogs saliva also contains antibacterial properties. Which is why you’ll often find them licking their wounds.

deadslow

Oh so that how they keep their b@lls clean! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Go back up there, similar time and wait for the owner and his dog.

richc
    Free Member

Spot the person who hasn’t been to Castle Coch before.

DezB
    Free Member

Go back up there, similar time and wait for the owner and his dog.
    .. to get bitten again?? Or just for advice?

hora
    Free Member

If the owner gets upset, send him on his way.

richc
    Free Member

Never been to the valley’s have you Hora.

Also are you really suggesting that he heads up there and randomly fires a fire extinguisher at everyone who owns a German Shepard dog?

If you stop and think (go on break a habit of a lifetime) you might work out why that’s not a good idea.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’d be a honey badger if it was Alsatian colours!

Had it been a Honey Badger there would not have been enough left of the OP to retell this story…

hora
    Free Member

richC. Me and you are cut from different cloth mate. I’ve only ever been attacked by one dog. A neighbours Doberman that they used to let ‘out’ around the area after dark. I used to arm myself with milk bottles. One bite. Then after a couple of instances they didn’t let the dog out to roam again.

Would I do the same again? I’d probably call the Police/talk to the owners first. Then act.

allthepies
    Free Member

Was the doberman allergic to dairy products then ?

surfer
    Free Member

Was the doberman allergic to dairy products then ?

Bit cheesy

richc
    Free Member

richC. Me and you are cut from different cloth mate. I’ve only ever been attacked by one dog. A neighbours Doberman that they used to let ‘out’ around the area after dark. I used to arm myself with milk bottles. One bite. Then after a couple of instances they didn’t let the dog out to roam again.

You just made that up, didn’t you Hora 🙄

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGaDrE8xXG4

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Interestingly a dogs saliva also contains antibacterial properties. Which is why you’ll often find them licking their wounds.

To be fair that’s something which humans should also do. I will always remember my old scoutmaster when one of the other scouts cut his finger, stopping us all from doing what we were doing to draw our attention that in such eventualities it was recommended that you suck your finger. The saliva will wash off bacteria and the bacteria is almost certainly safer in your stomach where it will more than likely die than in a wound.

project
    Free Member

Is the Alsation ok.

aftershock
    Free Member

If your leg hasn’t swollen up and gone stiff by now then I think your be OK, But really if your tetanus is not up to date you need to get a booster.

Dogs carry bacteria on there teeth and that is where you will get an infection from.

SamCooke
    Free Member

Avoid water

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dog Bite, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.