Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Doesn't it make your heart swell with pride…
  • IHN

when, as an Englishman, the band chosen to represent your country at the Olympics concert is those kings of the hit parade, Duran Duran. FFS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17896786

Mind you, Paolo Nutini is apparently the best the Scots have to offer…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shame The Libertines didn’t want to get back together for it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps it is so they can close with Rio?

richc
    Free Member

Shame The Libertines didn’t want to get back together for it.

Oh yeah, I could see that panning out with the drugs testing emphasis

donsimon
    Free Member

Duran Duran. FFS.

Who would you suggest in their place then?

binners

How many bands, when asked, replied ‘**** off!!!’, for them to eventually arrive at Duran Duran? Were Chas and Dave next on the list?

Yeti – A fine suggestion. can we start a campaign for the Libertines to reform and do it?

He knows there’s fewer more distressing sights than that
    Of an Englishman in a baseball cap
    And we’ll die in the class we were born

Indeed!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Paolo Nutini is apparently the best the Scots have to offer…

Not Fish? I’d have gone with Fish.

RobHilton
    Free Member

NDubz yo. They is a roll moddle.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAusT_Yl1gE[/video]

And this for the inevitable drugs scandal..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQwRUeFSV0[/video]

Dobbo

Should have got Crass in.

IHN

Well, the choice of Duran Duran suggests that the criteria is washed-up old has-beens without a hit for years, so in that case you might as well have the Rolling Stones. At least they’re ‘iconic’ whatever that means.

Or you could go for a band/artist with massive, current, worldwide appeal. Coldplay? Take That? Adele?

binners

Don’t forget Snow Patrol are on too. Lets hope they’re not on first. The entire crowd will have opened a vein before they ever get to Hungry Like the Wolf.

Sterophonics too. Woohooooo. Ambassador – you are truly spoiling us. I’d rather smash my own skull in with a big pointy rock than listen to that lot

toys19
    Free Member

Ugggghhh I really can’t stand the The Libertines, they suck balls, fact. I mean they sound like a pastiche of the pouges and u2, it’s just derivative rubbish..

I like Duran Duran for a bit of fun, but real bands to represent the UK would be The The, Led Zep, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.

donsimon
    Free Member

Or you could go for a band/artist with massive, current, worldwide appeal. Coldplay? Take That? Adele?

And these would all appeal to the Olympic ticket buying public, would they?
    I thought Coldplay were universally disliked. Didn’t Take That used to be famous in the 90s?
    Adele, while currently succesful, seems to polarise opinion, as almost anyone would.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u_g6zNuP_I&ob=av2[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Toys – You like Dad music…

Plus I don’t think the Libertines care…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHFR6gpsWE[/video]

toys19
    Free Member

TSY, I am your Dad, FACT!

I’m glad they don’t care, I’d hate to think my opionion actually counted. I liked their lyrics, but they just sound fliggin awful..

(Plus “Can’t stand me now” is the exact representation of what would happen if Bono and Shane McGowan did dry bumming and created a dirty smelly fishy love child)

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Motorhead

DezB
    Free Member

Adele, while currently succesful, seems to polarise opinion, as almost anyone would.

I’ve never heard anyone say they don’t like Adele…

Duran (can’t be arsed to type it twice) are the shittest band ever. Still, it is the Olympics, about as relevant to music as the Queen’s Jubilee concert.

Dobbo

Susan Boyle’s probably free.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haha… I don’t think you’re quite that old Toys!

IHN

And these would all appeal to the Olympic ticket buying public, would they?

Given that they all have huge, middle-of-the-road, Radio2-esque mass market appeal, yes, I think they would.

Didn’t Take That used to be famous in the 90s?

As opposed to Duran Duran, who were famous in the 80’s

These things are always going to have fairly ‘bland’ line-ups, which is fair enough, but it must be possible to get someone even vaguely ‘current’

kayak23

Can’t believe they missed out Napalm Death…

RustySpanner

We need a band with a proven history of writing songs for international sporting occaisions:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1BRhwo70M[/video]

Sixteen teams are taking part
    Sixteen camps of hope
    Some contain top, top players
    Some are just a crock of shit

Take me where the horns are honking long and loud and true
    Paint my face with the red and white and blue
    Rotterdam is cock-a-hoop they have the final there
    But there’s often more intrigue in the pool games

etc etc……

Sadly, no Korfball at this Olympics 😐

D0NK

Duran (can’t be arsed to type it twice)

🙂

(Plus “Can’t stand me now” is the exact representation of what would happen if Bono and Shane McGowan did dry bumming and created a dirty smelly fishy love child)

🙂 😀

mrdestructo

I think there was talk of a campaign up here in York to try and put Let Loose forward for the official band of the Olympics.

I watched them live in ’94 or something. They still play, just smaller venues.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

What’s left of Queen are usually wheeled out for events like this.

In terms of the Olympics providing the rest of the world with “shop window on the UK” (or words to that effect), this concert and a 3 hour wait at immigration is going to have future business and tourism booming.

binners

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOiuDAPHxCE[/video]

grum
    Free Member

The Olympics, what a load of shite. Let’s celebrate the biggest sporting occasion in the world by building the worlds biggest McDonalds, putting SAMs on tower blocks, and trotting out some 80s has-beens. Yay.

The whole thing is just a massive corporate circle jerk.

nbt

Didn;t they try to get The Who to reform their original lineup, including Keith Moon on drums?

*knock once for yes, twice for no, crazy arsed drum fill for loadsa drugs*

IHN

Well, if you can’t get Keith Moon, you can have the next best thing:

Animal was actually base on Keith Moon. True fact, fact fans.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Gotta be Quo!!

tjr666
    Free Member

I would have almost certainly gone for Napalm Death. Would have turned a few heads lol.

Pigface
    Free Member

Bus Station Loonies would go down well 🙂

Not sure they could pick anyone and achieve a consensus, Duran Duran do seem like a strange choice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Constant miserable whining about everything? No, doesn’t really make my heart swell with pride.

If I’d been in charge of the IOC I’d have vetoed London’s bid because I couldn’t stand the inevitable incessant whingeing.

binners

A consensus. Surely everybody loves a bit of

grum
    Free Member

Constant miserable whining about everything? No, doesn’t really make my heart swell with pride.

Sorry molgrips, let’s all skip through the fields together holding hands, chasing rainbows under gumdrop skies, singing the national anthem.

Anything else would be unpatriotic.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Iron Maiden, they could have done The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry molgrips, let’s all skip through the fields together holding hands, chasing rainbows under gumdrop skies, singing the national anthem

Mmm.. taking someone’s arguments to extremes just to ridicule them.. still not making me feel proud, sorry.

😉

grum
    Free Member

Does knowing that we wil have the worlds biggest McDonalds swell your heart with patriotic pride? Quite an achievement I think.

Let’s celebrate this massive sporting event where we keep **** on about how its going to encourage sport and being healthy, by building a huge shrine to literally the worlds most unhealthy food, and making coca cola the official drink.

In a country with a looming obesity/diabetes crisis.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Doesn't it make your heart swell with pride…’ is closed to new replies.