Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • doesnt anyone use trains anymore?
  • garage-dweller

Love travelling by train and choose that whenever its practical.

Sometimes the non-London lines are a bit patchy with service tho’

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I travel by train a lot. Cheap . conveninet, good service. Faster than driving

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

It’s so expensive!!! And I would suggest most folk are going the other way at this time of day.

Not if you print ur own tickets it isnt, (im not telling you how to print them so they cant spot them)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I love a train but the brand new ones Scotrail bought are pathetic, hopeless, woefully unaccommodating failures of engineering regarding the transport of the bike.

Shan.

The choo to Fort Bill next year will be re-donk-u-lous.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I travel by train most days. Getting bikes onto them is becoming more of a pain in the arse. Woman with pushchairs need to realise that there are plenty of places to put them but very few places to put bikes. And the guy who started on me today for asking the woman with the pushchair to move so that I could get my bike on the train should take his mullet back to the 80s. He didnt like it when I growled back.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I regularly use trains for work, and take my bike – never really had a problem. But I always avoid Virgin trains – they DON’T like bikes, unless you’ve pre-booked. I was even told by a Virgin lady (if you’ll excuse the phrase) at Crewe that I couldn’t get the next train cos it was one of their’s, without even being asked if I had a bike reservation.
    If you’re doing a long journey, it’s always best to book in advance – some real bargains to be had, eg Manchester to Tamworth for £6.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sbz – you have the right to the bike space for your bike.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Why the f*** do they put seats in the bike spaces? And why the f*** don’t the people sitting in them move to one of the many other empty seats without having to be asked?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not always cheap if you don’t have a choice about travelling. Cost me £85 for a trip to London for an interview, that was a bit steep. Also paid £127 to get three adults and a child to London and back, that smarted a bit.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I have perfected the art of “up’d vertical bike marching through the platform shouting ‘scoosee ‘scoosee”.

After that, the inevitable distress of watching hybrids & tourers dangling on their rear wheel clattering sheit into mine.arg.

Still, everyone should try popping one in a box on a national bus service once in life….

Duggan

If you’re doing a long journey, it’s always best to book in advance – some real bargains to be had, eg Manchester to Tamworth for £6.

Really? How on earth do you manage that? I do that exact journey quite a lot and always pay about £38 😡

molgrips
    Free Member

We used to arrive at the station 5 mins early with a sheet, some rope, a set of toe straps and a 5mm allen key. Wheels off, saddle off and strapped to seat tube, bars off and strapped to top tube, wheels strapped to frame then the whole thing wrapped in a sheet. Bike? What bike? It’s just luggage.

Worked every time too.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘doesnt anyone use trains anymore?’ is closed to new replies.