• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • DIY bridge for glasses
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Always had massive problems getting cyclig glasses to fit my face. Recently I’ve been to opticians and an Oakly dealer, and the problem I have is a very narrow bridge (about 10mm, from being broken)

Everything slides down so I end up looking over the tops, so I need to build my own bridge. Any idea what I could use?

fubar
    Free Member

never tried it …http://sugru.com/

higthepig
    Free Member

oldgit,

look at this thread from earlier today

Making stuff!

TheBrick
    Free Member

fubar – Member
    never tried it …http://sugru.com/

There was a thread about this stuff over the last week and someone else mentioned another polymer with slightly different proprieties too.

T666DOM

At my practice we have customised a bridge before by sticking a replacement pair of nosepads onto the bridge, fairly Heath Robinson but it worked pretty well

molgrips
    Free Member

I broke my glasses in the middle on a week long cycling trip once – fixed it with two zip ties, worked brilliantly well actually.

Routeunknown
    Free Member

+1 on the Sugru

Made a few fixes (hacks) with it. Works well and seems to last.

Never tried it on something touching skin for an extended period of time though so you might want to read up on their website.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll check up on the Sugru.
    I’m going to find some old one piece bridges and stick them on the existing one. Roughly, if I put my finger between my nose and existing glasses bridge they fit.

crikey
    Free Member

Oakley Jawbones come with fatter nose pieces that you can use to narrow the distance down, plus the rubber bit is ‘unobtanium’ which gets sticky when you sweat…

molgrips
    Free Member

Crikey’s right – there are also Asian fit glasses for narrower bridges.

Simwit

I used to have no end of trouble with my glasses sliding down but now I have some Oakleys with the unobtanium (at least that’s what I think they call it) rubber ear socks and nose pads and it’s fantastic, they just stay where they’re put & stick better the hotter you get. Don’t know if it’d help in your case but because the ear rubbers stick as well you’re not just relying on the nose to keep them in place.

Edit. Beaten to it by Crikey

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno where Oldgit is located, but there’s an Oakley store in Bristol that has tons and tons of stock in glasses that you could try. Admittedly it’s a lot of stupid looking shades but they also have some technical sports eyewear in there too.

oldgit
    Free Member

I was actually told that the ‘Asian fit’ is for a more reccessed bridge?

Been looking for old broken shades for extra padding.

stuey
    Free Member

oldgit earlier today

“This is a tin of Shinola”

oldgit
    Free Member

Grrrrrr

nbt

I thought asian fit was for a flatter (wider) bridge, rather than a narrower bridge

“traditional” metal glasses have adjustable nosepieces, are you talking about prescription glasses for cycling or just sunnies?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘DIY bridge for glasses’ is closed to new replies.