Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Dispatches-just plain bad journalism
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Anyone else watching Dispatches on C4, NHS bashing making lame attempts to anonymise the people shown on their secret filming. Showing a bereved family filming of their dead mother being ‘force’ fed.

Poor poor journalism.

loddrik
    Free Member

Poor journalism is telling us what Katie Price is up to, again…

dooosuk
    Free Member

My missus works in the A&E dept featured at North Manchester. She seems to think the claims by the MAU sister that patients arrest and die straight after leaving A&E is unfounded.

highclimber
    Free Member

Mine is a nurse for an A+E department and she mentioned that it was showing just bad nursing for the first half and the stuff we should be finding out about under staffing etc second.

I found it poor taste to show a bereaved family filming of their now dead mother where she was being force fed. very insensitive indeed.

bol

Yes, very cheap. Hard to see any positive outcome being aimed for or achieved by the programme.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Yep, only a minor mention of the necessary supplies not being available as they couldn’t afford to buy them etc. Could of been a much better programme.

MSP

highclimber – Member

Mine is a nurse for an A+E department and she mentioned that it was showing just bad nursing for the first half and the stuff we should be finding out about under staffing etc second.

So bad nursing should be ignored? It seems that nurses should never be criticised no matter how badly they perform, nursing standards in the UK are poor and pretending otherwise will never help the standards improve.

headfirst
    Free Member

nursing standards in the UK are poor

On what basis do you come to that conclusion?

(BTW I have no vested interest)

highclimber
    Free Member

did I say bad nursing should be ignored? Bad nursing was not what I expected to be shown AGAIN by a documentary claiming to be about funding in the NHS. Bad Nusing does occur but using that fact to show the NHS is under funded and understaffed is tenuous at best. Lack of funding doesn’t make a bad nurse a bad nurse – Lack of empathy and understanding of patient needs does.

highclimber
    Free Member

nursing standards in the UK are poor

You know, reading the daily mail causes cancer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So bad nursing should be ignored? It seems that nurses should never be criticised no matter how badly they perform, nursing standards in the UK are poor and pretending otherwise will never help the standards improve.

no one i ssaying bad nursing should be ignored what thay are saying is we should look at the reason for this. It may just be that the lack of resources available contribute to the standard of the service deliverd. I may have hit a rather radical point about the delivery of services but it seems reasonable to suggets that if the staff had fewer patiets to deal with each one would get a better service.
    Not matter how much funding it gets some staff will just be rubbish at the job. the wise person tries to decide which is at play in a situation lack of resources or lack of competency

northshoreniall

I have vested interest and would also like to see his evidence? You saying if every job had some smart arse wearing hidden cameras every job would be shown in good light? with all the resources you need to do the job available? Being sent to areas outside yours to work with no introduction to it? – example as itu nurse I get punted to general wards due to staff shortages to look after patient groups and wards I haven’t encoutered since 2 weeks in 96 during training.
    Every job has shit and disinterested people- they need dealt with. the rest are made feel like are just a resource by management, like most jobs I’m sure the genuine ones are mucked about while the shit ones go unchallenged – management fail. Yes if they feel like that they should move but easier said than done, some retraining needed then. Bad practise should be challenged and rectified but when are they showing the dispatches with the good care? the staff working beyond capacity with limited resources and over hours to help out? Or like me sat at 05:30 yesterday having rigors due to stinking chest infection in ITU because we were already short staffed and I didnt want to leave us having to have 2 itu patients each (dangerous in case your wondering)?
    Sorry poor rant but getting fed up of constant negative media assassinating health service that is being strangled and no balance to show the amount of good work being done under difficult circumstances. Also post nights so bit tetchy 😀

dazzlingboy

Good friend just spent 2.5 weeks in the new Edinburgh Royal Infirmary – actually getting out today.

He is absolutely raging about nursing standards. He has a catalogue of incidents that would make your blood boil. Sure, these nurses and other staff don’t have an easy job, but some of their work and attitude stinks. Some of the staff are fantastic, but his experience is that the medical care is first rate, but the nursing care and after care is crap.

highclimber
    Free Member

Bad practise should be challenged and rectified but when are they showing the dispatches with the good care? the staff working beyond capacity with limited resources and over hours to help out?

This is what I thought the documentary was going to be about! how dissapointing it was to find out it was just another NHS bashing.

northshoreniall

Yeah saw few minutes of it and have sky+ but not sure want to watch it and throw something at tv.
    I am all too aware of the flaws and shortcomings of the service as I think most of the population are but some restoration of balance would be nice

project
    Free Member

How can calling a patient a **** be seen as good practice, swearing in front of elderley patients, continually eating, and neglecting their patients eating, paying the senior managemnet 1 million per year.

Its all down to poor and ineffectual management who are so afraid to take a stand and tell underperforming staff to move on, for them to ignore complaints, and for some managers to actually be afraid of going on a ward, but just watching a computer screen with numbers on relating to actual people.

As i said to a few a managers when i had serious complaints about the NHS, one day it will be you or your family, thats being treated so badly, and lets hope the new management take things seriously because you have no idea, or perhaps theyll just let you die in pain and suffering degrading treatment.

It seemed to shock a few into a state of actually manageing their staff.

Anyone intrested in NHS cre just google mountainbiker dies at Mid Staffs hospital to see , wghat happened there and there is now another new inquiry going on.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i’ve not seen it but i work for an NHS supplier and daily I’m left in awe of the inefficiencies, wastage, red tape, inability to make decisions.

Today alone:
    Went to massive new hospital in Wakefield, I went to trust HQ to find out some contact details of the contacts I’d like to pursue and three women siting on one reception desk. I suggested the name of who I thought was my contact and asked for a phone number. After about five minutes of them shuffling about they couldn’t get me one. When I asked them for the switchboard number I was told ‘press 0’ 🙄 When I asked for the number for dialling from outside the hospital they then took another five minutes and then used the web to look on their own website and give me an 0844 number

Another massive hospital in Salford, pull up to the barrier and they have staff leaning against the ticket machine and pressing the button for you and giving you the ticket through the window, total waste of manpower.

I could go on and on..

highclimber
    Free Member

How can calling a patient a **** be seen as good practice,

Who is saying it is? I think people are missing the point of this thread. A few Isolated incidents of lazy, insensitive and dangerous nursing does not mean that EVERY nurse within the NHS is a bad penny.

I am not denying that the NHS is under funded and I believe firmly the nurses who do care and who do their jobs properly are underpaid immensely.

What I was hoping from the Documentary (perhaps naively)was journalism highlighting (with evidence) these funding black holes, poor management and red tape our nurses have to endure day in day out but instead it was just an undercover helper/porter quizzing a bunch of nurses moaning about their job and poor management might actually do some work they are paid for.

mafiafish
    Free Member

That Sarah lass were fit though.

project
    Free Member

highclimber – Member

How can calling a patient a **** be seen as good practice,

Who is saying it is? I think people are missing the point of this thread. A few Isolated incidents of lazy, insensitive and dangerous nursing does not mean that EVERY nurse within the NHS is a bad penny.

Posted 3 hours ago # Report-Post

It was the actual nurse that said this, when they where sitting down and it was all aimed at one particular lady patient.

Like i said poor and ineffectual management, who cant manage, we need more undercover programes like this, to show whats really happening in our hospitals, we need management not to have hissy fits when asked questions, and we need more inquireies into poor service.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Project – we know you think the NHS is rubbish. I suggest you get sick in the US

NikNak7890
    Free Member

This almost sounds like my regular rants about my Company (Royal Fail)

project
    Free Member

TJ, poor and ineffectual management…………

i have no problem with the NHS, just all berocracy thats been allowed to build up, and also all the empire buiding, at the detriment to the service users the patients.

I have no recollection of ever saying the nhs is rubbish, perhaps its all the tablets youre taking has affected your memory.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Dispatches-just plain bad journalism’ is closed to new replies.