Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discuss: GT Sanction
  • sax_widby
    Free Member

build quality?
    sizing?
    efficient pedalling? (iDrive is good, but is it maligned by lots of inches?)

bikeradar seemed to have rated it, so what does STW think!?

R

Jiffy

Hmm…not a lot of Sanction riders out there!

I have one – bought it a couple of months ago as an insurance replacement for a first generation Reign. It seemed to be about the best deal for that kind of bike that I could find. I'm 6'2" and took a chance on a large without a test ride but based on the geometry compared to the Giant.

I haven't really spent long enough on it to feel that I can be definitive about it's qualities BUT…so far I am really pleased with it. It has done local riding in the north downs, some trail centres in north wales and a day of runs at Aston Hill.

The quality of finish is good – it looks better in reality than the images I had seen. The monocoque frame looks beefy and purposeful.

On the trail it feels a lot more nimble than the giant did and much more ready to leave the ground – this caught me out on the first few rides but I'm getting used to chucking it around now. I was worried that the suspension might feel a bit basic in comparison with the maestro set-up but in total honesty I can't tell any difference, despite the GT effectively being a single pivot. I don't bother with pro-pedal at all. I also like the fact that the bearings are easily serviceable and of the type used in headsets, so easily available.

The geometry is less XC than my reign was, although not full on slack – I think the head angle is 67 degrees. The BB looks high but I haven't noticed any issues when riding it – certainly doesn't feel that I am perched on top, which I was slightly worried about. It feels much easier to get over the back end on steep stuff.

The kit is good too – I changed the front rings for 36 / 24 (and a bigger bash guard),switched the 90mm stem for a 70mm and found that I didn't really like the Kenda tires so went back to maxxis. And that's it – everything else is working great.

Possible problems – there is a long thread on MTBR about the I-drive system creaking due to insufficient greasing of the pivots from the factory, so I stripped it down and slapped in plenty of good quality grease as a preventative measure. The bearings really are pretty easy to get in and out. I also took off the drop outs for a greasing before riding it 'cos this was reported as a source of noise. The rims are a bit narrow for this kind of bike but not too bad for 2.35 tires. Disc rotors are also a little undersized for my (14 stone) bulk,(180 front, 160 rear), but this can easily be fixed if it's a problem.

Sorry for the essay. Bottom line is I think it's a great bike and I'm really pleased with it. You don't see too many about – in fact I've never seen any others, which may tell a tale, who knows? I would have been happy with it at a higher price but for the £1550 I paid from Pauls Cycles there wasn't anything that could compete.

sax_widby
    Free Member

cheers for the reply! essay = good, i'm pleased that is seemed easy enough to service (i haven't had a FS in years). i'm 6'3'', so the sizing should be ok. I'm used to a medium merlin malt, just so i can chuck it about, but i think something bigger should be more comfy.

the spec is rather good isnt it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Discuss: GT Sanction’ is closed to new replies.