Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Disc equipped cross bikes.
  • wors

Whats out there at the moment? Sorry if it’s been done before.

chipps

Salsa makes one, Genesis has one or two… Give it six months though and there’ll be many more now the rules have changed.

colnagokid

new cotic

reggiegasket
    Free Member

can’t wait for some decent carbon disc forks… come on Easton!

druidh
    Free Member

reggiegasket – Member
    can’t wait for some decent carbon disc forks… come on Easton!

What’s wrong with the ones out there at the moment?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The obvious choice, Uncle John?

Naranjada
    Free Member

I spent several months weighing up what bike for my partner, I looked at them all, had a spreadsheet with standover calcs and everything on it, budget up to £1k. Almost bought a Cotic >X<, almost built a Kinesis Crosslight blah blah but eventually I had an epiphany (no, not an Ellsworth) and went to Halfords (I know!) & bought a Boardman Hybrid ‘female informed’ Comp; for the money (£399) you get a very, very nice bike that includes BB5s and Ritchey finishing kit. Easily upgradeable to drops if that’s what you want to do and it takes 35mm Sammy Slicks and mudguards. Very impressed I am and a third of the price of an >X< with Tektro disc and Tiagra upgrades.

I did have to tighten a few bolts and reset the front mech though, even though it had been PDId.

Dougal
    Free Member

Wait till 2012 bikes appear, everyone and their dog will have a CX bike out with disk brakes on. Might even see nice hydro brakes (Shimano had a press event last week but an embargo until July).

wors

I had a quick look at the boardman, you can fit a decent sized tyre in there then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Easily upgradeable to drops if that’s what you want to do and it takes 35mm Sammy Slicks and mudguards.

Easy maybe,…cheap? Not a chance! – Don’t they come with MTB BB5s?

Onzadog
    Free Member

This is all very upsetting to me. I spent ages getting a trimester frame with sti, some remote reservoirs and hope e4 brakes and now every is going to spoil my fun and make hydro disc equipped drip bar bikes.

Poo!

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s a drip bar bike? God this phone is a pita.

cynic-al
    Free Member

drip bars are a bit like edit buttons 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

More fun this way I thought Al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m with you there 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m with you there 😉

roady_tony
    Free Member

am mulling over these options too – disc equipped will be all the rage at the middle / end of this year, problem is i want a bike now.

Uncle John, certainly fitted my bill, but does not take discs
    i was thinking of the kinesis tripster decade….

what about those kinda hard tail urban 29ers (mtb position, mtb components – fit drops…cx disc fork)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/urban/product/escape-m1-07-19618

Naranjada
    Free Member

I had a quick look at the boardman, you can fit a decent sized tyre in there then?

Yes, there’s plenty of clearance with the 35mm tyres I fitted, at least 6-8 mm each side and radially behind BB and loads more beneath the fork crown and between the stanchions. The one I bought was a small, but I have no reason to suspect the dims will be any different on larger frame sizes.

Easily upgradeable to drops if that’s what you want to do and it takes 35mm Sammy Slicks and mudguards.
    Easy maybe,…cheap? Not a chance! – Don’t they come with MTB BB5s?

Yes, maybe not cheap but at £399 with BB5s as standard it’s not out of the question, budget permitting.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Another option I considered was a rigid, geared Inbred monster-cross with Mary or Midge bars. I really liked this idea and if I was speccing my own I’d probably build something like that.

druidh
    Free Member

Naranjada – Member

Yes, maybe not cheap but at £399 with BB5s as standard it’s not out of the question, budget permitting.

MTB BB5s have a different lever ratio from road BB5s, so they are of little use. Factor in brakes, drop bars, probably STIs (have you seen the price?) and you have a cobbled-together mongrel which has saved you very little.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So you’d eed new calipers as I thought…does sram sti work with mtb deraileurs?

Still might work out cheap if you upgrade s/h…but the top tube’s always going to be too long for a road bike…

mereditp
    Free Member

You can get long pull road levers – cane creek do some – and keep the mtb bb5 calipers, but that does rule out sti’s. Dura ace bar ends to the rescue if you go down that route.

stever
    Free Member

My mate has a Whyte proto – as above they won’t be the only ones working on stuff.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the ones out there at the moment?

weight, and to a lesser extent looks.

there are no 400mm C2A full carbon disc forks out there, sub 500g, as far as I’m aware.

There are heavier ones, and Trigon do a full carbon fork that is sub500g but it’s 415mm C2A, which is too long for me.

I want to run discs on my roadie, but 700g is too heavy for it to be a go-er, given that the disc wheel and brakes will also add weight.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – the 680g of the DC19 is too much for you.

Check.

Remember though – disc rims can be lighter than those with a braking surface and rim weight is more important than hub weight.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah it’s close, with the current forks, but not quite close enough. All it’ll take is a decent sub 500g full carbon fork and I’ll go for it.

I want to build my version of something like this

acjim
    Free Member

i’m very excited by what will hopefully be available in the next year in this niche – my wish list is carbon frame & forks with racey geometry (not the mtb’ish versions that cotic & whyte seem to have produced). At a decent price – ragley on-one, planet x – purlease!

hydro brakes are likely to be trickle down so i should be able to afford in 2020…

druidh
    Free Member

rg..

I think they’ve dropped it this year though. Just over 10Kg, but that’s with Tiagra and T565s – I’m sure a bit of weight could be lost somewhere….

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – and the 3T CX Disk fork should be available in a few weeks

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah I spotted that druidh. Didn’t look cheap though… and the cable routing is a bit of a mess, but they’re on the right lines.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – so you want light and cheap ?? 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

please.

I think £200 is about as much as I’d be willing to fork out (?) for a new disc fork (and could get past mrs gasket). The 3T one could be quite a big chunk more than that though.

Houns

Something tasty will be along soon

cynic-al
    Free Member

DC 19 actually weights about 750gm cut (well mine does).

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

640 grams carbon disk forks for 140 Euros
    http://shop4cross.de/komponenten/gabeln/gabel-s4c-disc-eylets.html

clubber
    Free Member

Ok, so a half decent disc cross fork. How about CX disc rims then? Other than the Stans Alpha which IMO are silly expensive.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

^ not much off the shelf, Mavic Speed City might be an option. But best to get some handbuilt.

clubber
    Free Member

That’s what I’m talking about – rims to build with rather than complete disc 700c wheelsets.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’ve been running a set of alu Mosso rigid mtb forks for about 6 months, incredible value at around £40 delivered, v light at around 600g IIRC..

Mosso

They may well do a cross/road version if you contact them.

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty useful thread on 700c disc rims here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/700c-disc-specific-rims

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Disc equipped cross bikes.’ is closed to new replies.