Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disc Brake Upgrade
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Can anyone offer some advice on new disc brakes. At around the £100 – £130 mark i can get a set of: Avid J3's, Shimano Deore or Avid Elixir 5's. These all look like bargins at this price but which one is best. All come with 160 rotors but i think taht will do me as im not doing any serious down hill. Im tempted with the Elixir 5s but they offer little caliper adjustment.

What is the best option?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Don't know about the Elixir's but I'd definitely take Deore over J3's.

dmiller
    Free Member

Run away from the juicy threes.

nosedive
    Free Member

just upgraded a Juicy 3 to elixir Rs, superb, great power, modulation, easy to set up and easy to replace pads. Merlin are doing a deal on a pair I think or around £95 per end from CRC

dogthomson

@uwe-r You can get a set of Magura Julie's for around £120 from On-One, they might be worth considering. Quad get pretty good reviews for the budget end of things too.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Thanks Nosedive. The Elixir 5's appear to be the best option. They are going for £130 for the set from Whooly Hat Shop. This looks to good to miss.

Has anyone out there used these?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I'd go for the Shimanos any day

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Wooly Hat Shop? Yeah, I've bought some bits and bobs from them, disc adapters and stuff. They've always been fine.

dogthomson

+1 for WHS, bought loads off 'em on eBay. always been fine.

robholland
    Free Member

yeah go for Elixir 5's over the 3's and deores. The power is much better with better adjustment to !

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have bought stuff from WHS before and had no problems + they are super cheap! I think the Elixir's have it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disc Brake Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.